Not so Expo 2005 Rockwood Pop Up

ccarley

Adventurer
When you find LED lights, you will be so happy with the battery capacity you have! I installed all LED interior lights and a LED strip outside under the awning. Plenty bright, and very long lasting.

Another thing I did was to install a 7-way plug on the end of my solar panel. I can plug it in to the trailer wherever it is, and position the panel however I want, even if the trailer is closed, to charge the battery ;)

Clay

jscusmcvet

Explorer
When you find LED lights, you will be so happy with the battery capacity you have! I installed all LED interior lights and a LED strip outside under the awning. Plenty bright, and very long lasting.

Another thing I did was to install a 7-way plug on the end of my solar panel. I can plug it in to the trailer wherever it is, and position the panel however I want, even if the trailer is closed, to charge the battery ;)

Clay

Clay, when you attach the 7 way plug it would just be connecting the power wire and the ground wire to the solar panel output wires, right? Seems too easy, am I missing something? As for the LED's I am hoping to get that done, but cannot find a source that will tell me what LED bulbs to get. I have found a source for LED sting lights that are 12v. I picked up a couple additional 12v outlets that I plan on wiring up, one for the fridge and one for the lights. Just have to figure out wiring route back to fuse panel and where I actually want to have the outlets sit. As an alternative I may wire straight to the battery with an added inline fuse... Time is running short before our trip..... and I am still trying to decide on final routes... balancing my wants and those of the family... as we all do.

John

ccarley

Adventurer
Hi John,

You are correct on the solar panel wiring; connect the red wire to the black position in the plug, and the black wire to the white position on the plug (if your panel's wires are red & white). I shopped at amazon.com for my lights, if i recall correctly, new assemblies for the interior lights were maybe $12 each, and I picked up a roll of strip light for under $20 there as well.

Clay

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Hi John,

You are correct on the solar panel wiring; connect the red wire to the black position in the plug, and the black wire to the white position on the plug (if your panel's wires are red & white). I shopped at amazon.com for my lights, if i recall correctly, new assemblies for the interior lights were maybe $12 each, and I picked up a roll of strip light for under $20 there as well.

Clay

Thanks Clay. Any reaon to have the charge controller in between the solar and the battery?

ccarley

Adventurer
Yeah, a charge controller would be a good idea. My battery doesn't hold it's charge for long anyway, so I plug in the panel in the morning for a full charge by evening.

Clay

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks Clay. I am looking now for a battery. Fridge that I bought (arrives today, hopefully!) suggests at least 100AH. Anyone have recommendations?

MountainD

Adventurer
I recommend 2 x 6v golf cart batteries wired in series. Best bang for the buck, and life. No downside except weight, but what capacity you'll have! Costco is where I get mine. Tons of us solar folks use that set up. My favorite, at least, but tons of different ways to make it work...

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Grabbed a new battery over lunch today. It is an Autozone Marine 29DC with 210 reserve capacity. With various discounts, I scored it for under $100. Gonna have to do for now and if it turns out to be the wrong decision, I will adjust next year perhaps.

Fridge got delivered today. Can't wait to get home and set things up.

John

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Got the awning fixed. Used bolt and wing nut instead of spring loaded ball detent. Flushed out water tank. Modified rear spare tire carrier. Did a bit of cleaning... Gentleman... I think we are ready for next week's trip to Mid Atlantic Overland Festival...
camper awning done.jpgCamper set up.jpgSpare tire mount.jpg

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Very nice trailer! I just picked up a similar, but much older Palomino pop up that I plan to outfit for some off road ability. Like you, I had to decide against a kick ***** off road trailer and rooftop tent, but in the end, I know the pop up will be the better choice. The rooftop tent may have satisfied my ego, but the pop up will satisfy the wife and kid, because if momma ain't happy...

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Took our week long shakedown over the last week or so. We left Wednesday August 12. I had some work to do in Richmond Va. for a couple days before heading out to the Mid Atlantic Overland Festival in Pennsylvania. Battery set up charged like a dream, I am very happy about that, since this was my first effort at any of this 12v stuff. Trailer towed great and we had no issues.
We left Richmond on Friday morning and headed to PA. Our route took us along side highways, no interstates. Once in PA we wound up on some very small side roads, including hwy 655 and some very small non numbered roads.... so curvy and hilly Joe called them "roller coaster roads"... among lots of giggles.

The MAOF was enjoyable, spending time with friends and meeting some new ones as well. The field was less that flat and this exposed some issues with our "not so expo" pop up. More on that later. We really enjoyed the company more than anything the event offered. We spent a few hours poking around Huntingdon, which turned out to be a great little down town. Ann loves digging through the second hand shops and I love finding good local places to eat. In Huntingdon that place was Boxers http://raystown.org/locations/boxers-cafe/boxers-cafe.html Very friendly, great food, nice beer selection. We stopped at the river outside of town to plunder and chase crawfish. Ann was able to do some plant collection there as well. Joe had a great time meeting several new friends and playing endlessly. Needless to say, he slept well every night.

We left on Sunday morning. Initially we were headed home to NC so Ann could sell her soaps and other items at the Monday farmers market. Much to my surprise Ann agreed to alter those plans. After a quick stop at Mickey D's to access free wifi and email the operators of the farmers market, we headed off across southern PA and into VA. Destination, Shenandoah National Park. Beautiful drive through PA, many small towns and cool things to see.

Arriving at Big Meadows Campground in SNP... we were tremendously underwhelmed. It had been 20+ years since I had been there and Ann had never been. Let's just say, not our kind of place. As we got out of the jeep to check out the sites we were directed to, there we generators running and campers packed in so tight with zero privacy. We turned around and left. We went to Lewis campground, took the last available site, and after a good night of sleep, spent the early morning listening to the adjoining campers argue and fight. We packed up, headed west on Hwy 33 towards George Washington National Forest.

The way we figured it we would take the dirt roads we came across until we found a spot we liked and spend a couple days. We did poke around quite a bit on Westside road, past the shooting range. We found a couple great spots, but Ann was not comfortable. She could not put her finger on it, but I honor her instincts, so we headed back to the tarmac. After a quick conversation with a fellow at the shooting range, we checked out Brandywine Recreation Area, just a mile or so west. http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...+National+Forest+-+Brandywine+Recreation+Area

Wow. What a find this turned out to be. Out of the 30 or so sites there were only 3 other sites taken. There was a great swimming lake, great trail (sawmill trail) and plenty of shade. Best of all there is absolutely NO cell coverage in the area. We relaxed, swam and hiked for the next couple days. I believe we will head back at some point.

Trailer and jeep performance was good. Towing MPG ranged from 12.2 in the steep twisty mountains and 14.5 on the interstate. I held it in 5th gear and rand about 57 mph on the interstate. I was happy with the gas numbers. I installed Mac's Cold Air Intake this spring and I think that is a key to these numbers. http://www.macscoldairintake.com/ Towing the camper pre Macs CAI was regularly 12 mpg.

Indel B fridge was outstanding. Will likely never go back to cooler. Not much more to be said about it. It is that good.

Battery system set up worked well. Charged up during travel, topped up with our Harbor Freight 45w solar while at MAOF. While camping elsewhere there was too much shade for solar to work, but battery held well, never dropping into the "red" on my meter over the 2.5 days camping without solar.

OK, now to the issue with the pop up. We camped on a hill. The camper was leaning and when we popped down the slides stuck a bit. It sounds like less than it was, but my impression is that this system is perfect for organized camping locations but will struggle in the role I have envisioned for it. So all in all, we will be keeping the pop up, but I will be nosing around for other options at the same time.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior