tablet and gps questions

I have always used a dedicated gps yeah I am very ild school before that it was chalk but I have several questions , First off I use a mac computer but don't want to shell out the big bucks for an iPad. so If go with something like a Le Pan That I saw discussed Can I copy maps form my iMac desk top on to a SD card,load them to an android and will the based tablet read them?
second if you have wifi only and you add a gps receiver to it how is that done? Does it have a usb port that you just plug in? Are those receivers WAAS?
Will it tracks if i am out of cell phone range and way way off the grid?
Can you run them off 12 volt or do you need some sort of converter?

Is there a detailed base thread that shows how to do althea stuff. sort of like GPS TABLET RECEIVER for dummies really dumb dummies?

and as a follow up are there too maps that overlay google earth and can you use google earth if you don't have an internet connection or cell phone service?

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
While I don't know much about the tablets you mentioned, its not that hard. Most tablets do not have a dedicated GPS chip inbedded and if they claim to have GPS, its usually cell tower triangulation. However, you can buy a GPS dongle, using either a USB connection or Bluetooth. True GPS will still track even outside cell range, however, you'll need to download all maps prior to leaving cell range. otherwise, you'll just get a blank screen.

tarditi

Explorer
I recommend an android tablet for the ease of configuration - if you're heavily invested in apple already, you may score a cheaper older model iPad, though.

GPS: most tablets boast GPS, but make sure it's actually dedicated GPS (you'll need to scour the specs)

Screen: some screens are simply too hard to read in sunlight

Battery life: Some tablets will not charge fast enough to replenish the draw of usage as a GPS with display on, bluetooth, etc. either... just something to note.

Cache maps: Make sure it has an SD card and pre-load your maps into it for your GPS program (I use BackcountryPro, for instance) over wifi, then you can run with it "disconnected" from the internet as the nav program will use the cached maps from your local storage. While the SD card isn't absolutely necessary, it's best to have the additional storage.

Since using a tablet as in car entertainment is still a bit novel, and there are more ideal solutions available still, it's not quite mainstream enough for simple instructions. I've been ruminating about using my own Samsung Galaxy Tab4 as an overland GPS/plotter, doing my homework now. I've had luck with a simple google search for "use [insert tablet make/model] as car gps" and trundle through the results... if it looks complicated in the demo/instructions then it will likely be the source of hassle.

recommendations/

so what is everyone recommending? and If I go with an iPad how does that work ? do they all have gps built it? I have an iPad 2 mini but it only has 16 gig and I use just kicking around the house. Can you load maps from a iMac to an android< I am pretty sure you can't? so what are the minimum specs you would look for in an android unit? I have a really old samsung that i use for some geology programs that don't run on apple it still has windows 7 on it.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I actually run a Microsoft Surface 2 using MapsPro and a Bluetooth gps receiver and a 64GB MicroSD card. Works great so far. You can pick up a used Surface tablet off ebay for a decent price and I'd trust it to be more rugged than an iPad. I like it because I can use it as well as a laptop on trips, but still have a first rate GPS map on the screen. Not so great at storing files, but that's what the USB port and memory sticks are for.

I highly recommend a good android tablet.

The #1 app i recommend is MyTrails by Frog Sparks. The program is amazing and the developer is constantly working on improvements. The next release will have a way point manager that should be quite epic. And its only 2.38 right now

I have over 30gig of topos and aireial imagry saved and it is incredibly helpful. I use google earth or caltopo.com to plan my route. Save the file to my dropbox account then just import it into my tablet before I leave wifi and never look back. It will also run on a kindle fire if you have one. I just bought the Lenovo Tab 2 A7-30 that I am going to use for a dedicated nav setup. Expect an initial impressions soon with a full review after some good use. Get "HERE" for turn by turn street nav. Im currently using this app setup on my Galaxy s6 and its been great. Will still use the S6 for on dash nav but wanted the bigger screen for route planning and use as a data transfer device to clear off my sd cards from gopros and cameras.

I actually run a Microsoft Surface 2 using MapsPro and a Bluetooth gps receiver and a 64GB MicroSD card. Works great so far. You can pick up a used Surface tablet off ebay for a decent price and I'd trust it to be more rugged than an iPad. I like it because I can use it as well as a laptop on trips, but still have a first rate GPS map on the screen. Not so great at storing files, but that's what the USB port and memory sticks are for.

I have a surface. What gps puck are you using and is it worth 5 bucks? the reviews it gets are pretty bad.

smiper

Observer
I highly recommend a good android tablet.

The #1 app i recommend is MyTrails by Frog Sparks. The program is amazing and the developer is constantly working on improvements. The next release will have a way point manager that should be quite epic. And its only 2.38 right now

I have over 30gig of topos and aireial imagry saved and it is incredibly helpful. I use google earth or caltopo.com to plan my route. Save the file to my dropbox account then just import it into my tablet before I leave wifi and never look back. It will also run on a kindle fire if you have one. I just bought the Lenovo Tab 2 A7-30 that I am going to use for a dedicated nav setup. Expect an initial impressions soon with a full review after some good use. Get "HERE" for turn by turn street nav. Im currently using this app setup on my Galaxy s6 and its been great. Will still use the S6 for on dash nav but wanted the bigger screen for route planning and use as a data transfer device to clear off my sd cards from gopros and cameras.

I haven't had a lot of luck with Maps Pro. Would you be willing to put together a little tutorial on using a Windows device for real time, offline navigation?

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I haven't had a lot of luck with Maps Pro. Would you be willing to put together a little tutorial on using a Windows device for real time, offline navigation?

Its pretty simple actually. Do you have the latest update? The developer is constantly making improvements and if you're having any problems, you can email him directly. Either he'll direct you to a tutorial or FAQ page, or he'll fix whatever issue you're having. I just played around with it.

What kind of problems are you having with it?

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I have a surface. What gps puck are you using and is it worth 5 bucks? the reviews it gets are pretty bad.

Which surface tablet do you have? I got the surface 2 back when it was new. I'll admit, not the best investment, but I've gotten the bugs worked out. That and I use it primarily as a dedicated GPS. I do like that it runs Windows so I can interface easily with my home computer network. Works great for moving pictures around and can be used like a laptop in a pinch. It is underpowered as far as being a laptop goes though, which is my only real complaint.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
so what is everyone recommending? and If I go with an iPad how does that work ? do they all have gps built it?

No.

The cellular models have GPS, the WiFi models do not (at least the current generation).

You don't need to activate the cellular service to use the GPS, you just have to pay the extra $$$ to get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior