Hooklift dismounts a camper box

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
I looked at them for awhile but couldn't find anything in my price range for the right weight rating. Running a bed winch and a tail roller instead(details in my build thread). Cheaper setup, but have to keep an eye on the winch cable condition.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
That's pretty cool, it looks safer than camper jacks.

Hooklifts are also used by 20 yard roll-off dumpster trucks and military PLS palletized load system. Maybe the garbage truck is cheaper/easier to find?

dumpster-truckx570.jpg

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
That's pretty cool, it looks safer than camper jacks.

Hooklifts are also used by 20 yard roll-off dumpster trucks and military PLS palletized load system. Maybe the garbage truck is cheaper/easier to find?

dumpster-truckx570.jpg

I couldn't find one used for less than $8,000, usually closer to $20,000 in the US.

The tail roller and bed winch setup works as well. We used them in the oilfield to transport the drilling rig components all the time. As I mentioned earlier though, it's more risky because of the winch cable.
IMG_20150304_143537035_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150407_182010858_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150407_182010858_HDR.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 8

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Planning to start the teardown prep this weekend, engine won't be here till after Aug 1st and probably not installed until a few weeks after. Details will be in the build thread.

I could use a stronger winch with my setup. It's just a 4500 pound that I had sitting around, planning to upgrade to a 10k or bigger. Makes loading things in the bed of the truck much, MUCH easier.

Having a hooklift or a tailroller/bed winch setup makes a truck far more versatile. The ability to make different platforms, depending on what you want, basically gives you the benefits of multiple trucks while only owning 1 truck. Similar to having different trailers, just loading them onto the truck instead of hooking up a trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior