-ARB 2000 Awning
-DIY Roof Rack
-Painted Trim
-Lift Gate Mod
-2 Meter and CB radios

Last edited:

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Nice truck! You've got similar mods to me with the boost gauge (i've got volts there) and the winch tucked in the front bumper.What roof basket is that and how did you modify it to fit like that?

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I know! I want one! I've wanted a basket but mounted inside the rack's rails. A Hep baske is nice but they're damn expensive, and I don't want to guess the shipping to Canada. That might be a very good alternative that would make me happy!

Xterra1744

Heres the rack I dropped between the stock rack.

Thank you everyone! I want a gobi rack for many reasons including lower profile. There's no funds for that so I realized I could move my rack in between the rails on the stock rack. I don't know what the rack is as the previous owner scraped the name off it and there were no other markings.

I Ioosened the roof bolts on the stock rack and dropped the basket in-between them. I laid it out as far forward and as low as possible while still allowing the sunroof to open. It's currently supported by 4 stainless 3 and 1/2 inch bolts and is very solid. I will be adding two more just because. After drilling and test fitting it together I removed everything and Bedlined it.

When I put it back up I put weather stripping between the basket and stock rack, and also between the bottom of the basket and the roof...I don't want any squeaks or rattles going downstream road. I siliconed and anti seized all the bolts and replaced it. I moved the stock cross members to the back of the X. I'm super happy how it turned out.

Next I plan on mounting a led bar on the front and some perimeter lighting, I might add a ladder to the back, 2 folding antenna for 2 meter and cd. I'm also in the early stages or planning a diy roof top fold out cot tent that should fit behind the basket where the stock cross members are.

Last edited:

Xterra1744

Awesome I have no idea how long it was up there but it was in perfect shape with no issues. The build quality seems good for a 100 dollar rack. I just Bedlined it to be safe. Got a few trips coming up here soon so hopefully I'll test it out for real.

richard310

pew pew
Welcome to ExPo and nice looking Xterra! The basket solution is a great idea as it keeps drag down. And as first gen-ers, we need as much power as we can get.

Any close up photos of the winch mounted behind the stock bumper? I'm contemplating that route...

Xterra1744

Yeah I'll try and get a few tomorrow. I have yet to tear into the bumper. I'll take some closeups, when I tear the guard off and Bedlined the bumper and brush guard I'll take some more.

calstar

Observer
Are you doing the bedliner yourself or having them professionally sprayed; if diy what are you using? Nice x!

thanks, Brian

Xterra1744

So I tore into the front end today. All the trim and everything has been removed and is being painted along with the brush guard. I also ground down the two rust spots on the rockers I found today, luckily its just surface rust. I undercoated the whole bottom of the X. When I put it all back together Im replacing all fastners with stainless steel.

It looks like the winch plate is welded to the frame rails, not the prettiest welds but it will work for now. Part of the bumper and plastic was cut out to allow access to the controls and the winch.

Next Im removing the rear sway bar. Im also working on a DIY shovel and axe holder for the roofrack. One its all dried and put back together Ill post the pictures.

As for the Bedliner I will be using herculiner on the bottom 1/4 of the truck, rockers, ect. Ive done this on a few vehicles and it has stood up well so far. I make sure to sand it all down, wipe it with acetone and paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94