Expo ZJ Part 3

xjman88

Adventurer
WP_20150611_002.jpgWP_20150611_006.jpgWP_20150611_005.jpgWP_20150611_008.jpgAfter a year long hiatus and a move to New Mexico, Im back and with a new zj build. I picked up a 95 Orvis Edition with the 5.2 v8, Dana 44 rear with the LS diff, all power options, cloth interior, the engine, tcase and gas tank skid plates, Upcountry Suspension and in decent shape. Also has front and rear tow hooks. WP_20150611_004.jpgIt has 206k on the clock. As far mods im going with 31s, winch and mount and rock rails. I still have my roof rack and tire carrier w/ fuel can mount. Im also building a rear cargo area storage system too. Please stay tuned.

Last edited:

Ben Holeton

Observer
Someone already switched the rear axle? because a 95 Orvis should have a D35 rear end. Either way, looking forward to this build as I also have a 95 Orvis I just picked up.

Ranger Steve

Adventurer
Someone already switched the rear axle? because a 95 Orvis should have a D35 rear end. Either way, looking forward to this build as I also have a 95 Orvis I just picked up.

He has the v8 which would come with the 44a. Aka 44HD. It's an aluminum center section.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
What's up with the cloth seats? An Orvis should have the green and tan leather.

He has the v8 which would come with the 44a. Aka 44HD. It's an aluminum center section.

Nope. The D44a / D44HD didn't start until 96. The 96 - 98 V8s all came with the later 80/20 split, low range lock NV249 t-case and a D44a rear axle. 93 - 95 V8s came with the early 50/50 split, non-low-lock NV249 and a D35 in the rear.

AZMP

Yeah d44a didn't start until 96 and all orvis have leather interior. Either way I'm looking forward to the build.

1stDeuce

Explorer
It's possible that a leather seat hater like me switched to cloth seats. The leather seats would have been coming apart by now anyway. And with 200k+ miles, the D35 would have been howling, so that axle too may be a junkyard addition. But what matters is that it's a great starting point! :)

xjman88, where are you in NM? I'm up in farmington.
Chris

Ben Holeton

Observer
What's up with the cloth seats? An Orvis should have the green and tan leather.

Nope. The D44a / D44HD didn't start until 96. The 96 - 98 V8s all came with the later 80/20 split, low range lock NV249 t-case and a D44a rear axle. 93 - 95 V8s came with the early 50/50 split, non-low-lock NV249 and a D35 in the rear.

Yep. D35 in the 93-95 V8s. It's a nice upgrade. not one I'm going to do. I won't do enough heavy duty stuff to make the D44 upgrade worth my time and effort (plus, I don't have the space to do it). I'll get a pic of my interior. Looks great, 20 years later!

xjman88

Adventurer
It's possible that a leather seat hater like me switched to cloth seats. The leather seats would have been coming apart by now anyway. And with 200k+ miles, the D35 would have been howling, so that axle too may be a junkyard addition. But what matters is that it's a great starting point! :)

xjman88, where are you in NM? I'm up in farmington.
Chris
Im in Albuquerque. Almost into Rio Rancho.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I'v never seen an Orvis that the leather fronts seats weren't falling apart, unless it was in a moderate climate and low mileage. I'm sure someone swapped it out..

Look fwd to watching your build. Just bought myself another ZJ to start building, my last one ended up too tall for my usage.

xjman88

Adventurer
Thanks for the interest so far. I found out it has some tranny issues. So im trying to figure where to go from here. Ill keep yall posted.

Ben Holeton

Observer
Here's my 95 Orvis. You can see the leather ok here. All in tact, in it's green and champagne glory!
35_zps0augbfno.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94