FG step options

ploz58

my FG had SSW fitted when purchased and the lower foot steps removed.

My good lady finds it a stretch to get up into the truck.

Has anyone come up with a workable solution, yep i know grow longer legs.

She has purchased a small step, which she has on a piece of string, it works but looks a bit odd.

Thanks in advance

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
my FG had SSW fitted when purchased and the lower foot steps removed.

Why was the bottom step removed?
Unless you have really big tyres, this should not be necessary.
I have super singles on my FG84 (36" tyres) and the bottom step on mine causes absolutely no issues.

ploz58

HI Ski Freak,
Not sure, i see if the past owner has them or a clue why?
the truck has the Hankooks on it.
its good to know there isnt a clearance issue so i can replace them if i can find the originals.

thanks for the prompt reply and i can imagine your happy with all the snow happening ?

regards

Phil.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
They can get in the way when off roading. I've had mine hit the ground a few times on some angles of approach.

Dan.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
My bottom steps fit just fine. I did a bit of trimming with an angle grinder, and used a pry bar to move them an inch or two forward.

Alternately, replace with a cable step. http://www.awdirect.com/cable-step-...SEPLA&ef_id=VaXH1gAABE1g1T5H:20150715023918:s

Hi pugslyyy,

Those steps look great but I don't think they could easily be fitted under the OEM Fuso top step.
Ploz,
Any Fuso fitted with 36" tyres should be fine to tilt the cab with the original FG lower cab steps, even with the original suspension. Raised suspension, such as parabolics, will of course result in even more clearance.......however I don't know how you would go with 37" tyres. I think it should be OK too but surely the lower cab steps can't have been that close that they had to be removed. If you do end up re-fitting OEM steps and they rub when you tilt the cab you can try turning the wheels to full left or right lock beforehand
which results in extra clearance and might make all the difference.
Good luck finding 2nd hand OEM steps though unless the original owner of your truck still has them in the shed. They are only fitted to the 4wd models. The lower cab steps are the same on an FG84 as they are on B71 models if that helps. 637 /649 steps are the same as each other but different to the 84's.
You'll get a shock if you buy them new from Fuso....I recently paid around $100 for each black steel bracket to suit my last FG84, so around $400 in total and that did NOT include the cost of the alloy treads (which I already had so unsure how much they are to purchase). If you're interested, ATW had limited stocks of OEM alloy treads with powder-coated safety yellow or raw alloy finish. They were new OEM "take off" parts so should be much less than from Fuso....but unfortunately no brackets.
Otherwise if you're handy as a fabricator, I'd have a go at making them from scratch....and while you're at it, make them swing so they can give a little if you bottom out on a creek bank or hit a roo or something.
Regards John.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hi pugslyyy,

Those steps look great but I don't think they could easily be fitted under the OEM Fuso top step.

Yeah probably not - I was just looking for an image that illustrated the concept. You commonly see them under the back bumpers of utility trucks, etc. here. That way it doesn't decrease the departure angle.

westyss

Explorer
Hmmm, I took my driver side step off because of the conflict with tilting the cab, it has been a while since I did that but I seem to remember that I tried several ways to tilt the cab with the step on, turning the wheel didnt work for me at the time so I took it off and never put it back on....... I did that before my suspension upgrade so that most likely changed things.

I did look at chopping an inch or so of that step off and it looked to me like that would be a very easy modification to do.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hmmm, I took my driver side step off because of the conflict with tilting the cab, it has been a while since I did that but I seem to remember that I tried several ways to tilt the cab with the step on, turning the wheel didnt work for me at the time so I took it off and never put it back on....... I did that before my suspension upgrade so that most likely changed things.

I did look at chopping an inch or so of that step off and it looked to me like that would be a very easy modification to do.

Using the grinder / BFH approach was pretty easy for me. I have no problem hopping in, but my wife struggles even with the lower step. I'm pretty sure she would come after me with a tire iron if I took it off!

ploz58

thanks for the info folks, i got a response from the previous owner saying that lower steps caught on the wheels when the cab is tilted.
So i will look further.
kind regards

Phil

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Those must be some big tires, Phil.

I'm also opting for the cable steps, at least on the passenger side. A 9" drop sounds a bit too far though. I think 6" would be better, as far as having them tangle with the tire while running, a short leash limiting rear travel should work fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior