Truck Bed Anchors / Tie-downs

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
I have had a few questions about the tie-downs that I have mounted in my bed, so I figured I'd do a little write-up on them.

The tie-downs I'm using are the Versa-Tie Anchor Plate Kits. They are $12.95 for one, or 4 for $49.95. I bought 6 of them and it cost me roughly $75 bucks.

When I was planning for my trip to Moab last year, I realized that the 4 little stock points in the corners of the bed weren't going to cut it for securing all of my camping gear, and cooler, etc on the extreme terrain of Moab. If you really want to secure a load, you need to secure it to the floor, not to the high bed sides. I found the Mac's Tie-Downs, and decided that I would give them a shot.

The anchor plates and backing plates come with all the mounting hardware needed for assembling solid deck hardware. The anchor plates are made from stainless steel, and are guaranteed to secure any cargo. The backing plates are threaded, and come with 1/4" stainless steel machine screws in your choice of 1", 1.5", or 2.5" length.

They install in minutes on a flat surface. All you have to do is drill two holes.

The thing I really liked about them was their smooth, round, dome shape, so that when mounted, you could still slide a cardboard box (for example) over them and they won't tear the box, or catch on anything.

You secure the load my inserting the Versa-Tie stud ring into the anchor plate. This VersaTie connector has a cadmium plated alloy steel stud, anodized aluminum body and stainless steel ring for quick, secure one hand installation. Ring rotates full 360 degrees.

My bed is Line-X'd so the floor of my bed has the little ridges. These tie-downs are JUST BARELY too big to fit in between the ridges, so I had to shave them down a little bit to get them to fit. I had to shave less than a 1/4" off of each side, and they fit perfectly, and still hold the loads totally secure.

Here is a couple of shots so that you can see that when the Tie-Downs are not being utilized, they actually sit about a gnat's-*** lower than the ridges in the bed of the truck, and would not interfere with anything.

Last edited:

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
And here are a few pics of the Tie-Downs in action!

I've had these for over a year now. I am using 6 of these in the bed of my truck (and thinking of adding 3 more). A few months ago I was securing my camping gear box, and tightened one of the ratchet straps too much, and broke one of the anchor plates. I sent Mac's an e-mail, with a picture of the broken anchor plate. They said that they have NEVER seen a failure like that, and shipped me out a replacement that day - free of charge. I have not had any other problems with these, and would highly recommend them for Off-Road Rig use. These have been the perfect solution for my needs - securing gear for camping & wheeling, and to secure ANYTHING in the bed of my truck.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
The perfect tie down?

Good write up.
I've been thinking about tie down solutions lately. This may be the answer. Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Cheers,
P

Spikepretorius

Explorer
We get those tie hooks here but the fixed part we get is a 1metre long strip and you fit the hook in the position of your choice. Identical hook, just different gizmo to hook it into

Zorro

Adventurer
I just have massive D-rings bolted to the bed ... like this one.
80138-10.gif

It gets in the way, it clangs, but it's rated to 16,000lbs, so I'm sure my bike won't be flying off ... or if it does, the whole bed is coming with it :xxrotflma
It's not overkill is it? :D

Terracoma

Adventurer
No affiliation, other than being a satisfied customer, but Expedition Exchange also carries the Mac's tie-downs here.

They're $0.50 more expensive (each) through ExEx, but you'll be supporting both companies with the same purchase; win-win-win across the board!

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
After a couple of years how are these holding up?

Would any spot on my 4runner floor be sufficient thickness (strength) to hold these? How would you expect one of these to hold compared to a factory tie down?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior