Anyone running a roof rack and a sky box?

I'm looking for a way to load stuff on the roof of my wife's 04 Suburban. I currently have a Yakima Loadwarrior basket with extension. If I mount this all the way to the side, I will have about 12" of room left. My thinking is to buy a cheap skybox on craigslist that is about that wide. Am I going to run into any weird airflow problems if I have both mounted?

GalacticFuzz

Here was an older thread that talked about running both a rack and box up top. Myself, I am looking at options to replace my full rack with a half rack and box as well since that way I can quickly interchange the rack or box off to put my kayak cradle up instead. As for airflow, anytime you put something up on the roof it impacts the natural flow that was designed into the vehicle, depending on what you have in the rack, it could cause more resistance.

It's an older thread, sir, but it checks out.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/92239-Cargo-Boxes-Why-you-do-Why-you-don-t

OCD Overland

Explorer
You'll need 24" for the narrowest skybox. I've done a 24" rack plus a SkyBox 12, and it worked well. No weird airflow problems, but a lot of resistance with that amount of stuff up there.

attachment.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier