Ikarus' Lightweight Access Cab Build

Ikarus

Observer
Hey what's up my overland people -

I've had my Tacoma for about 8 months now, but I'm just getting around to documenting things.

Current state:

Taco%201b_zps6x9vidwg.jpg

Lift: OME 884 + Dakars
Wheels: SCS F5 Gloss Jet Black 16x8 4.5” BS
Tires: Cooper ST Maxx 255/85r16

I was driving a BRZ, which was super fun – but I really missed the wilderness. Being stuck in the city was starting to wear on me. Plus, you can only fit so many cameras/equipment in a BRZ.

BRZ_zpsztae7akg.jpg

I found a great deal on a Tacoma and a dealer who thought my BRZ was worth more than I could get out of a sale – so.....

Tacoma2_zpsdff97fb0.jpg

I immediately threw on some Cooper ST Maxx in 235/85r16. They're awesome tires, and got me through a Utah winter, sand, mud and rocks with no problems. Next up was a lift from Cruiser Outfitters, OME 884 Coils with Dakars in the rear.

OME%20Lift_zpsxthoitng.jpg

My job takes me all over Utah, and I usually have to haul a few pelican cases. The Tacoma's done great.

Cover%20Photo_zpsvwjt77ii.jpg

Old%20Taco%206_zpsvfrbbgyf.jpg

The 235/85r16s were great, but they just looked a bit too small under there. Made it down Chicken Corners to Lockhart Basin just fine.

Old%20Taco%202_zpsjglbxtwr.jpg

Stars%201_zpsixkc5xc7.jpg

Truck%202a_zpskz6xeaue.jpg

I'm keeping the build lightweight, so I'll be using aluminum as much as I can and avoiding unnecessary metal.

My truck looks so tiny next to my buddy Sean's (you might know him as Defconbrix.)

Max%20and%20Defconbrix%201_zps0epydmow.jpg

I doubt that anyone cares, but if you're interested, here's my FAQ section:

Old%20Taco%203_zpsrhyrgjmu.jpg

Q: Why a base model access cab?

A: I actually really like the color scheme on the base model, with the black flares (got that Bushwacker look on a budget haha) and the blacked out grill (No need for a plasti dip budget... just kidding, I would have used paint.) No chrome anywhere. A friend of mine got a super nice TRD Tacoma for somewhere between $35-40K, installed a new suspension, got rid of the tires and has never used the locker. I found mine for under $24K nearly brand new, threw on an OME lift, 33” tires and got an ARB locker – now all I'm missing is ATRAC. I'm happy about it.

Old%20Taco%205_zpsvzcnrzp8.jpg

Q: Why a 4 cylinder?

A: I thought about this for a while, and it came down to price. Here in Utah, with my budget I could either afford a 5-10 year old used V6 Tacoma with 60-150K miles, or I could buy a brand new base model. As I never tow anything, the bulletproof 4 cylinder won me over. A manual would be nice, but I got an automatic because I often film out of the back of my truck, and you never know if the production assistants can drive manual, or even drive smoothly – but that's another story.

It's really not bad - and 4.88 gears will be on the way soon.

Last edited:

Ikarus

Observer
I got my SCS wheels mounted with the new tires:

Taco%202_zps9s6pagm5.jpg

Wheels are SCS F5, BS 4.5” in Gloss Jet Black, tires are Cooper ST Maxx in 255/85r16.

Taco%206_zpsm438jn8r.jpg

Stoked on the new setup! Not only do the F5s look great, I was able to cut my wheel weight in half. The F5s with 33s weigh less than steelies with 31s. I think the 255s have the perfect proportions with the 4.5” BS.

Taco%205_zpsemcwq47l.jpg

Taco%203_zps1hpmrwag.jpg

Also stopped by Cruiser Outfitters – picked up a few things. The 10mm trim packers will raise the front a bit.

Taco%209_zps5gpzyd0d.jpg

I'm figuring out the compressor at the moment. Looks like it'll mount real easy just in front of the driver's side on the inner fender – anyone done this on a 2.7?

ARB%203_zpsc5xwlzso.jpg

ARB%202_zpsx8qqv8vu.jpg

ARB%201_zpskhopbclt.jpg

I'll also be throwing on a Pelfreybilt skid plate, after banging mine up pretty good in Moab. I'm taking it into the paint booth at work tomorrow to get a couple coats on it.

Taco%208_zpse9wnpk6h.jpg

Adventurous

Explorer
Looking forward to seeing where you go with this! It looks like the skid plate is steel...planning on steel instead of aluminum belly pans I take it? I'd also be curious to know what your line of work is/if you have any cool work to display. I'm a photo-video geek.

Ikarus

Observer
Looking forward to seeing where you go with this! It looks like the skid plate is steel...planning on steel instead of aluminum belly pans I take it? I'd also be curious to know what your line of work is/if you have any cool work to display. I'm a photo-video geek.

Yes, it is steel. I'm going to roll with that for a while, as things like a regear and sliders are higher priority to me than bumpers. When I eventually do get to bumpers, I'll swap it out for an aluminum.

I work in the firearms industry - I'm in charge of all the videos at SilencerCo:

And in my free time, I like to shoot with cars and bikes:

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
Love it. So simple and clean, and with quality parts too.

I wanted to build a Tacoma almost exactly like this, but up here Tacoma prices are at least 5-7k more than Utah or Colorado, and I stumbled onto a deal of a first gen Tundra.

wrmmt

Adventurer
Nice looking build!

Do you know what rack/awning is on the back of your buddy's truck in that picture? Looking to do the same thing on my rig and still trying to figure out which direction to go...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles