2 Weeks in Colorado

upndown

Adventurer
Mudder, thanks for the update! Epic photos. We spent some time around Telluride on a two week fishing road trip, love that area. Oh and thumbs up to Leigh for standing in that river! I had shrinkage just looking at the pic..haha!

unkamonkey

Explorer
Good for you. I have lived here for 60 years and can't claim to have visited everything around this state. If you really want to hit a good music venue go to Red Rocks Ampatheatre. A fairly awesome natural place to see a show. I saw several Jimmy Buffett shows there as well as the Grateful Dead as well as several blues and jazz concerts. There is a reason some artists will only play there if they are in CO.
Keep on a going, lots of places to go out and find around here and I won't even start on what is in Utah.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
Mudder, thanks for the update! Epic photos. We spent some time around Telluride on a two week fishing road trip, love that area. Oh and thumbs up to Leigh for standing in that river! I had shrinkage just looking at the pic..haha!

Haha, yeah I couldn't believe she lasted that long! That water is painful to touch. Telluride really is a beautiful area.

Good for you. I have lived here for 60 years and can't claim to have visited everything around this state. If you really want to hit a good music venue go to Red Rocks Ampatheatre. A fairly awesome natural place to see a show. I saw several Jimmy Buffett shows there as well as the Grateful Dead as well as several blues and jazz concerts. There is a reason some artists will only play there if they are in CO.
Keep on a going, lots of places to go out and find around here and I won't even start on what is in Utah.

It really was an amazing experience! I have heard a few people mention Red Rocks Amatheatre, and now I believe I'll need to go next time I'm out that way. Sounds like you managed to get there for some unforgettable shows! I would have loved the chance to see the Greatful Dead.

I'm not quite done with the trip report yet! To be continued...

upndown

Adventurer
Saw Joe Bonnamasa there. Like unkamonkey said, if I was a musician, be the only place I'd play! Highly recommended. :sombrero:

unkamonkey

Explorer
Saw Joe Bonnamasa there. Like unkamonkey said, if I was a musician, be the only place I'd play! Highly recommended. :sombrero:
It would be good to see Joe Bonnamasa anywhere. A few other venues I have enjoyed are Mishawauka up the Poudre river about 28 miles west of Ft. Collins. Saw many good bands there over the years, heck, pretty much camped there for a summer. Picked up trash and helped Tex in the kitchen. John Hyatt and Jorma Kaukanen (Hot Tuna) were my favorites, Ziggy Marley didn't really inpress me much as he was about two hours late to start. Jorma was a nice person to just sit back and talk with. At that time he was also teaching guitar lessons in TX.

It's sort of odd that in the podunk cow town I live in, We have one of the best blues shows in the nation sometime in June. The Blues Jam. It's not in a beautiful area like the Rocks and you are sitting in the middle of an arena with grandstands surrounding you. Some of the best groups I have ever seen. If you are into the blues. If you buy tickets ahead of time, $25. each. About 12 hours of music And camping is $25 a night. Several people spend Fri. and Sat nights camped there as the city runs shuttle buses into down town where several of the groups will be playing in the bars.
I have no connection with it. It's just a good time and I have talked to a few people that have traveled across several states to attend

Last edited:

upndown

Adventurer
Not to hi jack Mudders thread, but I've been a blues lover since I was a boy, grew up in Chicago. Used to go to Alpine Valley Wisc. All the time for concerts, saw a lot of greats there. Clapton did two nights years ago, as usual he had a bunch of guests. My buddy's went Fri. Night, and of course Stevie Ray died the following night. Sad day!

Another great festival to check out is the Water Front Blues Fest in Portland Oregon, 4th of July weekend. Great music on the water. We missed John Mayall with Walter Trout by one year.

tomammi

Banned
MudderNutter
all photos are really nice. I love travelling like this. these photos clearly show that you spend enjoyable moments in this visit. 3rd photo is realy nice I like it very much but I say again all your photos are great views clearly in visit place's beauty. natural beauty is attrect all visitors.

Bikemobile

Adventurer
This is my favorite corner of Colorado!
Still exploring and finding new things even on return trips through the san juans.

trollhattan

Observer
Nice pictures and thanks for sharing.
Do you have a general route that you have taken for this trip?
I am hoping to do a similar tip next year around May/June i think your trip has a good mix of everthing.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
Nice pictures and thanks for sharing.
Do you have a general route that you have taken for this trip?
I am hoping to do a similar tip next year around May/June i think your trip has a good mix of everthing.

You might want to consider doing your trip towards the latter end of that time frame! We departed NC June 18th, and several passes (Imogene, and Black Bear) were still snowed shut. I will try and post up some more info from the rest of the trip, and hopefully a map showing where we were soon.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
The next day we decided it was time to let Leigh try her hand at doing some off pavement driving! We headed back up from our campsite to Yankee Boy Basin with her in the captains seat.

Here she is after making it up as far as we could!

Then we decided to do some hiking
http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/k...do/DSC02140_zpsv4liutv2.jpg.html?sort=2&o=236

Snowball action in June

After our little hike we decided that I would take the wheel, and see how far up Imogene we could get

looking back down towards our campsite, and Ouray

looking up towards the pass

We almost made it to the top before getting stopped by a snowdrift!

Here is the plow

Imogene was a blast to drive. I can't wait to get back there when it is open all of the way.

After our fun little day we decided it was time for a relaxing evening before we departed from the San Juans.

Picture from camp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior