2 Weeks in Colorado

MudderNutter

Adventurer
We weren't quite sure what where we wanted to head yet... but I heard cool things about Gunnison before. So, I made sure there was some openings at the Black Canyon and we cruised on up!

We pulled on into our campsite, and found this little guy hanging around.

Then we saw these signs, and were a little more cautious. haha

While we were getting comfortable, and planning out our day we started chatting with a fella that was setting up camp next to us. He informed us that he drove out from Denver to see the Canyon. I started to get excited, because while I had heard of Gunnison before.... I had no idea that this Canyon was anything remarkable. I told him that "apparently there is a canyon somewhere around here, but I have walked pretty far and haven't seen S$!t yet." He laughed with this little cackle that said he couldn't tell if I was kidding, or an idiot. It turned out to be the latter... I'm claiming ignorance, but it was pretty dumb for me to think it wouldn't be amazing... after all, it is a National Park in Colorado.

Here is the trail that led directly out of the back of our camp site. It was our own personal access to the canyon!

Flowers along the way

HOLY S$!T, IT'S HUGE

It proved to be very hard to get a picture of the sunset, but this is what we managed:

This was one of the most exciting days of the trip for me. There was no awesome off roading, but I found tons of joy in the surprise that the Black Canyon had for me. It was huge on a scale that I have never seen before (haven't been to the Grand Canyon). The sheer size of the cliffs amazed me, and the hiking was an absolute blast. I would not hesitate to go see it again.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
The next day we did some more exploring of the Canyon, and even got in some bike riding.

And we finished our day with a new found favorite snack...

Don't ask... just try.

Oh yeah, and a deep dish pizza

MudderNutter

Adventurer
The next day we decided to take the advice of the Forums, and go see the Maroon Bells! It was only about a 3.5 hour trip from the Black Canyon, so we headed out early in order to have a nice day in Aspen.... Until the only road to get there was blocked for road work... and the road worker had no idea which way we should go... and we were our GPS couldn't pick anything up... and we had no phone service. I decided to just turn down a dirt road, and hope for the best!

it was an 8 hour detour, but hey.... it was beautiful!

My little dirt road popped us out into Crested Butte... slightly out of the way, but it was not time wasted!

Here comes the rain

Almost to the Bells! This is Independence Pass. Too bad it was almost time to grab a place to sleep for the evening!

All of the campsites were full (apparently Aspen is a popular place), so we spoiled ourselves and got a hotel... and some beers :clapsmile

MudderNutter

Adventurer
After seeing the Bells it was officially time to start heading back towards home.... after introducing Leigh to some whitewater rafting!

We did some class 4's, and now she officially wants to do 5's... I'm a lucky guy!

This marks the end of the fun part of our trip. We ended up having a good return trip home. After camping on the Colorado/Kansas boarder, we woke up on Thursday around 6:30am.... and somehow made it all the way to Virginia Beach by about Noon on Friday to scoop up our puppy. It was an amazing experience! I now have a buddy building up his XJ to accompany us with his lady next time :)... and another buddy that wants to come with his 4runner. I guess i'll allow it ;)

Now I need to work on some of my videos for you guys! I will hopefully have them uploaded in a timely manner. Thank you for looking through my thread!

upndown

Adventurer
Amazing photos and great write up as usual! Colorado is truly a sight to see, but if the Black Canyon excited you, then the Grand Canyon is a must see! I never tire of it, but then I may be a little biased! Haha.. :sombrero:

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
Great trip and report thx for taking the time to share! I'm in VA and looking to do a similar trip next year, so much to see out that way!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sudz

DayDreamer
We ended up pulling into Moab around noon. I never though that I would say this but... we grabbed a beer and left, because it was too dang hot! I had a campsite reserved for the White Rim Trail the following day, but the thought of suffering through 110 degree heat was not as attractive as relaxing in the 70's in the mountains just a few hours away. Back to Ouray we went!

I enjoyed your writeup.

before heading back to Ouray you could have taken a 41 minute drive from downtown MOAB out to Dead Horse Point State Park and grabbed this spectacular view after a two minute walk from the parking lot.
https://goo.gl/maps/fHkFzr2G8EE2

100_6656.jpg

maybe next time...
goodjob_zps9337df1e.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles