2 Weeks in Colorado

MudderNutter

Adventurer
Hey fella's!

I'm a little delayed in posting a trip report, but had quite a bit of work to catch up on when I got home. The goal for this trip was to head out to Colorado with my lovely girlfriend Leigh. She has never been anywhere out west before, so my excitement to show her it's grandness was pretty...grand. I spent most of the spring getting my XJ ready for the trip, and have a build thread on this site if anyone is interested.

The Trip:

We departed on the evening of Thursday June 18th from Wilmington, NC. Our route had us travel a bit north to Richmond, VA so that we could drop this pretty lady off with my parents for the duration of our trip.

Once we were finished up with the dog exchange we set our sights west, and drove through the night. We ended up on the Kansas Colorado boarder around dusk, and decided to catch some shut eye at a campground. Here is the first photo from the trip. It's a shot of me driving into that beautiful red Kansas sun:

The XJ did great on the drive. Anyone who owns an older jeep knows that they aren't perfect highway vehicles, but I was able to maintain 65-75mph the whole trip while getting about 17mpg while loaded down.

When we woke up the next morning we headed towards Denver with the goal of checking out the city for the day.

Entering CO:

After some food and a brewery we decided to treat ourselves to a nice hotel room, so that we would be rested up for the drive to the San Juans. We woke up at about 7, and headed west on 70. We had been told by a friend to check out the Hanging Lake hike. I will say that it was crowded, and definitely a pretty touristy stop.... but there was a reason for that. It was a nice little introduction to Colorado.

A few shots from Hanging Lake:

Fishy

After the hike we finished out our drive to Ouray. It took awhile, but I finally laid my eyes on the San Juan Mountains for the first time:

MudderNutter

Adventurer
We pulled in to Ouray during the late afternoon. I decided to head up towards Yankee Boy basin, and grab a campground. I forget the exact name, but there are only two... and this one has the name Angel in it.

We cooked some good food, and got some rest. The plans for the next day included running Yankee Boy Basin, and the Alpine loop.

Starting up Yankee Boy Basin:

Don't look at the Element.

It felt good to get some dirt on the tires!

We headed down into Ouray to air up, and grab some ice.

The plan was to drive to Silverton, because the Green Trails to access the Alpine loop from the Ouray area were closed. Of course this isn't how it played out...

I saw this sign right outside of Ouray... and even though it was rated a "Red" in my Charles Wells' book... we decided to give Mineral Creek a go!

Shots from the trail:

First time in the tundra!

This trail did have some interesting off camber moments, and some fun obsticals. I have a gopro video of this trail, and the alpine loop that I will soon upload.

Apparently I went the difficult way around the Alpine loop... but it was definitely fun!

Engineer Pass:

Summit shot:

This was our first summit to date:

Coming down engineer Leigh noticed a car in the river. If you look closely on the bottom left of this photo you will see it:

close up:

After seeing the car in the water we saw two gentleman fixing a flat tire (good thing it didn't happen on an off camber shelf road!). I offered them help, but they were good to go. We ended up spending a lot of time frolicking around on the trails that day, and decided to grab camp south of Lake city instead of rushing Cinnamon pass.... Plus this meant we had time to break out the dutch oven!

Chilly Cheese Mac:

While we were cooking the two fellas with the flat tire pulled in to their previously established campsite right next to us, and one was even an expo member! Their names were Steve (BikerEagle), and Joshua. We had some great conversations that evening. It was nice meeting someone else from the forum for the first time.

The next morning we set out to tackle Cinnamon Pass. I had to re-provision my water supply:

Starting up Cinnamon:

Elk!

Anyone else love pictures of their vehicle doin it's thing? Leigh had a task to take as many Jeep photos as possible, haha.

to be continued...

stioc

Expedition Leader
Awesome stuff! I love taking and looking at pictures that have trucks or camp setups etc. It just adds a lot more adventure and fun to the picture than just the views of trees and hills lol

Do you happen to have a general high level map of your route? I'm in the planning stages to hit Ouray/Silverton/Telluride in mid-Aug so would be great to have something as a starting point.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
Awesome stuff! I love taking and looking at pictures that have trucks or camp setups etc. It just adds a lot more adventure and fun to the picture than just the views of trees and hills lol

Do you happen to have a general high level map of your route? I'm in the planning stages to hit Ouray/Silverton/Telluride in mid-Aug so would be great to have something as a starting point.

Thanks! Yeah that is what gets me going as well, haha.

I haven't put anything together yet, but I was thinking about doing so. I'll throw something together when I post up the rest of our trip :ylsmoke:

unkamonkey

Explorer
It's posts like yours that remind me why I have lived here for over 60 years. It's time to get that old 3B out for another trip.

VistaCruiser

Observer
TexGX-Compared to the deer in the Carolina's, might as well be hahahahaha! Awesome pics MudderNutter, thanks for sharing. How'd you like your Cooper's on the trip?

Sam

anviljk

Adventurer
This is awesome. As a fellow east coaster, going to Colorado (about 24hrs away) is a trip I've been wanting to take for awhile now. How did you plan for the trip?

Biker Eagle

Observer
Campsite Next Door

View attachment 295729View attachment 295730

Glad you got your trip report done. Joseph got his camera snatched at the above campsite. But, Yankee Boy Basin was probably worth it. First time I've ever had anything stolen in 45 years of camping.

It was great to meet you two, and tell Leah hello for us.

Passes this trip...Engineers, Cinnamon, Slumgullion, Los Pinos, Ophir, Cordova, and Cuchara.

Got new tire in Gunnison. Look forward to seeing you two on the trail in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier