Pelican vs. Boyt vs Condition 1

Honu

lost on the mainland
I have a few pelicans and storm and had seahorse smaller ones
I worked on dive boats for 15 years and never had a quality case fail but had cheap junk fail !
IMHO storm and pelican are my two favorites and for the cost and length of ownership internet pricing etc. storm or pelican are worth it
by used save quite a bit

the downside to them is weight :) my 1610 and 1650 when loaded with lighting or photo gear are almost to heavy to pack :) and the empty weight IMHO makes them kinda heavy for camping gear
I still use them for certain things I just am saying think really hard about what you want to put in them and where they go and look into some soft bags for other things

electronics get my perlican/storm and that is about it these days

again not saying dont use them for general storage just think about soft cases or other lighter options maybe ?

Sounds like someone either has had one bad experience or there is something else going on. I believe the point of the thread was to provide pro/cons on the cases so the individual could make best decisions. I believe everyone except one person has provided that qualitative assessment to the thread.

I have easy access to Pelican and like many people apparently have had the best of experiences. In the same sense, everyone seems to provide what the original post request was and that's to give experiences with pro/cons to their use, quality and customer service of the product they use.

If 100 people say Pelican and provide all the great pro/cons that come with their decision then I would say that's a fair assessment. Change the name to another manufacturer on here and the outcome is the same, you get the Pro/cons to assess for yourself. When everyone seems to be saying the same pro/cons about ALL of the brands and then there is one that says "no cuz it's hype!" with no reinforcement I question "why write the post then?"

Just feel like there is some unneeded tone to what appears to be a ton of experienced people providing excellent assessments of ALL gear they own. Nobody here is bashing anyone or any product except one individual.

@blind_lo FYI, the best in the world(USA, Brit, Canadian, SA, Aussie and many more) parachute, dive, run and gun with the same type of gear you're trying to protect! Cameras, lenses, optics, communications and weapons go via Pelican. Outside of the military, I personally know software, hardware, optic, machine shops, race crews, FFLs, and numerous other professionals toting their prescious cargo the same way. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with "hype" or "driving over it with a military truck" because Overlanding is just as harsh and can be more austere of an environment. That's just an ignorant statement all together.

Buy what works for you and your budget with the known risks associated with it. My expensive, hard earned purchases ride in Pelican because the case and guts can be tailored 100% to what I want to put in it. Interior foam reduction or removal changes the protection level and movement of cargo inside and shock absorbing capability of the contents (Like the egg drop challenge from the school roof I'm sure we all did once in our lives). I buy my cases for what my criteria is and I only want to buy it once.....many of my purchases like others mentioned were USED and the same warranty, quality and containment came with it just like a new one would but for a fraction of the cost. Many posts before and after this gave many pro/cons for ALL products, Pelican included (see my first post on your thread). See others about weight, size, etc....seems like trending assessments to me.

If Boyt and Condition 1 meet the criteria and standard for you and the cargo you want to protect then I say go for it! I have other cases (soft/hard) I use for other gear but the fit is for the function. Bottom line, per ALL manufacturers spoke about here thus far, check their websites for exact, not hearsay warranties in black and white and specific statements about what they will and will not cover and what the case is designed for.

Commercial and consumer grade cases differ like apples and oranges. Big differences in quality and price and huge difference in the warranty department. Some warranties are worthless without the date on the receipt and even then do not cover anything outside of manufacturer defect. Others cover 100% regardless.....yes it comes with a price. Some rust, others don't. Some are water resistant and others submersible (big difference since Iphones are water resistant as well....lol). Stainless and aluminum pins or steel. Type of injection, valves, wheels, locking capable and will it work with TSA locks for your travel (most TSA locks don't work on Boyt). Size options, type of foam, blah blah blah.

I have cases ranging from $20-$300 and some of the cheapest prices paid for used gave me the largest case.

Your precious gear is not "hype" to me and I'm sure it is not for you either. Just an honest assessment from a few good Overlanders helping you make the best purchase for your dollars and the gear you plan to carry.

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
The wife has a wall 10' long x 6' high FULL of Pelicans of all different sizes that she ships all over the country loaded with electronics for her job. She's never had one fail that I know of, and we know how fedex and ups treat stuff these days.

Given that I have easy access to cheap/free Pelicans you would think I'd load my rig up with them. But I don't. I don't like the form factor and the weight. I actually use cheap Ridged stacking boxes from HD, but only on the interior. If I were loading sensitive equipment on the rack of my truck, I'd probably be using the Pelicans too. But for normal stuff like kitchen kit and camp gear? They're overkill and not very space efficient. Great product if you actually need it (sounds like the OP does) but there are cheaper/better options for lighter duty applications.

Honu

lost on the mainland
buy pelican or storm
save a few dollars on a cheap case and loose how much if your gear is broken or flooded or ?

IMHO that is the way to look at it not worth it to save a few bucks to protect your expensive gear

zimm

Expedition Leader
i use pelican for everything that shoots.

why?

its what i was exposed to that works. im damn certain im paying for marketing, but, being they were first in the market and flooded it, i simply haven't run into a competitor, and why would i deviate with a 2500 dollar scope or a camera set to save 100 bucks?

people that use then to pack kitchenware, crack me up.

garwhal

Observer
Living here in Houston I use pelican cases for my cooking gear to keep the humidity out. Yes, I spent money and ordered a custom foam insert for my PS stove and griddle. It lives in my m1101 trailer and I never worry about it. I also pack all of my canvas tents in the pelican cases. Overkill but I never worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior