The CUCV Build-1986 M1031 Mobile Field Maintenance Assault Vehicle

Rippa25m

It is quite popular to take the contact body off the back and slap it on a trailer. These old Chevy's usually rot out and fall apart long before the aluminum body on the back will.
View attachment 295404
My truck still runs and hasn't completely rotted out yet. But maybe phase 2 of this vehicle's life will be a trailer life.
What was empty weight of the trailer box comb

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Anything happening with your truck Mr Plethora? I used to enjoy watching your build. Cheers, Chilli... ?

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Oh boy. Sorry guys. I got caught up in expeditions to the Himalayas for awhile. Crazy stuff. And then when I came back to civilization, Expedition Portal changed all their formats and I couldn't access anything. But I'm back and have much work to do to catch up. Anyone want to go on any expeditions to the western Himalayas? I got contacts there now, haha.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Oh boy. Sorry guys. I got caught up in expeditions to the Himalayas for awhile. Crazy stuff. And then when I came back to civilization, Expedition Portal changed all their formats and I couldn't access anything. But I'm back and have much work to do to catch up. Anyone want to go on any expeditions to the western Himalayas? I got contacts there now, haha.

Sure if I can airlift my truck in there no probs. Post some pics if you got em Mr Plethora. Cheers, Chilli..?

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Not much has been done to the rig. Just been living and working out of it mostly. Things break, they get fixed. but it's kinda done, and haven't needed to add anything to it in the last couple years.

IMG_3563.JPG
Had a fusible link burn up on the firewall. Spent hours tracking it down.

IMG_3564.JPG
Turned out to be a blown diode that was taped and inside the wiring harness in middle of firewall. This controls the water in fuel light on the dash. Very difficult to locate and no info about it's location in any of the manuals.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c04.jpg
Was on the way back from Ontario when the truck started making horrible clunking noises coming from the rear. Popped the cover in an Arby's parking lot and found this surprise. Pulled out what I could, brake cleaner in up and around, poured new gear oil in and drove it 500 more miles cringing at all the popping and grinding it was doing.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c4b.jpg
Turns out a bunch of teeth broke of inside the locker.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c7a.jpg
Thankfully, all the damage was kept inside the actual locker and the axle was not trash.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c80.jpg
Cleaned up the insides and all was well.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c7b.jpg
Unfortunately, I had to dish out the cash to get a new locker... :cautious:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c7e.jpg
Luckily I have all the tools and knowledge to do these things. Well, maybe all the tools, working on the knowledge part. Also, don't let anyone ever tell you that you don't need a vise big enough to put differential carrier in.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c81.jpg
Good to go. It's been a year and everything has been working fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles