The CUCV Build-1986 M1031 Mobile Field Maintenance Assault Vehicle

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I am really happy to see that you have the new motor in and all is running right Plethora. I am really interested in knowing how your belt and pulley system worked out when you took everything from your 6.2 and added it to the new motor. At some time I will need to instal a new motor in my Yukon so all the info you can give me about the optimiser combatibility with a 94 6.5 TD would be super cool. Cheers, Chilli..:)

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Thanks guys! This rig is going to the moon! A note on the pulleys. I took the stock pulleys and stuff from the 6.2L and did not do any of that serpentine belt shenanigans. Good thing about this is that we keep the dual alternator setup. Bad thing is that we don't get to use the newer high flow water pump. For the most part, everything between a GM 6.2L, GM 6.5L, and a GEP 6.5L is interchangeable.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys! This rig is going to the moon! A note on the pulleys. I took the stock pulleys and stuff from the 6.2L and did not do any of that serpentine belt shenanigans. Good thing about this is that we keep the dual alternator setup. Bad thing is that we don't get to use the newer high flow water pump. For the most part, everything between a GM 6.2L, GM 6.5L, and a GEP 6.5L is interchangeable.

Good to know Plethora. I hate serpintine belts. But at least its not a Fruad serpentine belt set up!:exclaim::smileeek::REOutShootinghunter:ar15::ar15::ar15:

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Yes, I also like the good old squeal of a v-belt on a cold wet morning. And as for the engine, just google Ted's Truck's N Stuff, call em up and you'll get to talk to Margaret.
33.jpg
Speaking of engines, took the old stripped 6.2L engine block to the scrap yard. Made enough money to pay for the fuel to get to and from the scrap yard. If that's not a win, then I don't know what winning is.
25.jpg
So let's just hope there is no more of this...
26.jpg
And more of this!

Last edited:

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
So the engine runs great. Everything on the rig functions without even a hiccup. But it's winter and it's cold and snowy to go anywhere, so maybe we'll find other stuff to do to the rig to make it more like home. Hmmm, what other comforts can we add?
30.jpg
Well, how about a television!
29.jpg
It's compact, free, and is just plain cool!
28.jpg
Keeps the kids occupied with cartoons...
27.jpg
And keeps the adults occupied with other good time wasters.
31.jpg
And when not in use, it folds out of the way, safe and secure.
Now where to mount the satellite dish...

1976K5Chalet

Observer
I swear once i can get my life straightened out...just need a JOB like everyone else....i am going to buy one of these!
We never had one of these in my unit...all we had was me...my M816 with my tool box on the passenger floor board...lol.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
32.jpg
Nothing beats waking up at the crack of dawn, setting up the shower when everything is covered in frost, and taking a nice hot shower...
Coming up next, why I hate drum brakes and what to do about it...

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
So I don't like drum brakes. Don't recall anyone who does like them. I've fiddled with them, fixed them, and even talk sweet nothings into their ear. Nope, I've had it, time to upgrade.
35.jpg
Was driving down the road and the brake pedal felt funny. Still stopped, but not so good. Go to look under the truck and brake fluid was dripping down the inside of the tire. Jacked it up, pulled the tire off, the axle shaft out, and the hub/drum off and found a nasty DOT 3 mess. Turned out to be a wheel cylinder that kicked the bucket. Now, normal me would go to the store and pick up a new $20 wheel cylinder and be back on the road in an hour. But then I'd still have crappy drum brakes, and that's no fun, especially going down big hills with a vehicle that weighs more than it's supposed to.
36.jpg
Let's separate the drum from the hub and see if we can get something better to go on...
37.jpg
They took some persuasion. Would have been much quicker to just replace that wheel cylinder...
38.jpg
Well look at that, disc brakes from a Chevy axle bolt right up!
39.jpg
Now to get a brake caliper to sit in the right spot on the disc. Just had to get this adapter plate and all this should work. It works in my head, so we'll see. Usually I use trial and error to confirm my cranial schematics.
40.jpg
Perfect! Got some calipers from a 1976 Cadillac El Dorado. Those things were giant, heavy, land yachts. If these brakes can stop those things, it sure should be able to stop this rig. It feels good to have a truck from the 80's with 4 wheel disc brakes...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior