Family Truck Expedition Examples on FUSO/ISUZU/ETC.

chosen

Observer
Hey all,

I'm in the planning stages of the whole process and was wondering if anyone has some photos and perhaps plan views of trucks set up for the whole family?

Thinking 2 adults and 2-3 children. (I have one currently, but would hate to go to all the trouble of setting up a vehicle, only to sell it due to not enough room).

How are the sleeping areas arranged?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Maninga

Adventurer
There was a global warrior used by a family with 4 kids that went from Yandina to France.

I'd also use a crew cab, though I've been chatting with a guy designing a truck with sleeping for 4 adults and a couple of kids in a big single cab MAN truck. Lots of potential plans.

chosen

Observer
There was a global warrior used by a family with 4 kids that went from Yandina to France.

I'd also use a crew cab, though I've been chatting with a guy designing a truck with sleeping for 4 adults and a couple of kids in a big single cab MAN truck. Lots of potential plans.

Any photos of the guy's truck?

Crew cab obviously is easy for seating compliance as it already has all the seats sorted... it makes for a small area to build your camper on though, unless of course you go up above cab. Not too excited for a really high structure though for obvious reasons off road.

Keep the ideas coming - thanks guys!

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
I have three boys under nine and I've often thought of this. If you got a standard slide on camper around 14 ft you could fit it on the tray of a dual cab and have a double bed " over the cab" and have a triple bunk in the rear. This would leave little room for anything else so you would be cooking and eating outside but fou could steep 5

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The Global Warrior mentioned did have a chassis extension, which allowed for the standard GW body to be fitted.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Owen,

Yep. There was a 600mm chassis extension on that Isuzu NPS that did the Sydney/Paris trip with a family of 6.

I haven't posted anything about the Global Warriors for months but sales have been really steady. The boys sold the Canter crewcab Global Warrior last week and I believe they have 4 NPS and 1 B71 single cab Global Warriors to push through before Xmas. Hopefully I can get some pics soon and do some more posting on the ATW thread.

Regards John

DzlToy

Explorer
Don't have any more kids and put all the money you will save into the truck. Kills two birds with one stone.

:D

chosen

Observer
Don't have any more kids and put all the money you will save into the truck. Kills two birds with one stone.

:D

Cheeky!

Cheers Earthcruiser... so I assume the place for the extra people to sleep is only up in the Maggiolina? A simple solution to the problem, but up so high I am unsure how it would be getting in/out of. I love the interior, doesn't look like there is a toilet/shower in there, is that correct?

chosen

Observer
I heard about it from John. Trip is referenced here and uses their truck (I believe) for promo shot.

http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/content/news/2013/global-warrior-out-to-conquer-world-36637

Chassis extension could take care of the space issue, or start with a larger crew cab. Crew cab Fss550 or the like, a bit bigger, but space to fit everyone.

Love the Global Warrior's concept of the gas lift angled bed. This is definitely a winner! Did this vehicle come with a shower/toilet? I also am toying with the idea of going single cab and getting seats (sideways facing) compliant in the camper body that can convert to a bed, similar to the Global Warrior's seats near the crawl through. I do believe that Australian design rules for seating is about to change, with talk of the changes removing sideways facing seats altogether. Not sure how troopies will go if this is the case.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Love the Global Warrior's concept of the gas lift angled bed. This is definitely a winner! Did this vehicle come with a shower/toilet? I also am toying with the idea of going single cab and getting seats (sideways facing) compliant in the camper body that can convert to a bed, similar to the Global Warrior's seats near the crawl through. I do believe that Australian design rules for seating is about to change, with talk of the changes removing sideways facing seats altogether. Not sure how troopies will go if this is the case.

Hi chosen, (bet there's a story with that name ????)
Yes it did have a large shower and separate macerator toilet cubicle. Check out the Global Warrior photos on the www.allterrainwarriors.com.au website.
This was a standard Global Warrior module with the option of the drop-down bed over the dinette/double bed. The top bed was a little short and narrow for two adults but a couple of kids was fine. As the roofline is narrower than the middle of the body, the length of the upper bed was a little short. I'm 5'10" and was fine laying up there by myself but I reckon any taller and my feet would have been pushing out on the soft sides. I guess you realize the Global Warriors are only 2150mm wide for clearance reasons in the bush. Many will run camper bodies out to 2400mm but clearance on our bush tracks will be effected....I guess it depends on your needs.
Sorry hope I'm not taking the thread offtrack but building a rig for a large family requires special consideration. If it's for Australia, I reckon focus on getting as much outside as you can.......kitchen and shower for example and keep the inside for sleeping and lounging. ATW built an awesome MAN crewcab XL Scout a few years back. I think there is a youtube clip of it somewhere with me driving it around the bush behind Yandina . Check that out.....especially the external features. The owners loved it. The main bed was huge and up top, with a dinette made 2 queen beds. Mind you, that body was 5200mm long and 2400mm wide.......that said, the GW Crewcabs are about as good as it gets for an off the shelf camper.
BTW, In case you were wondering, ATW have also developed a folding rear seat for the Canter and another for the NPS crewcabs so as to allow access into their pass through and the rear module. Have you contacted them about any crewcab options?
Kind regards John

Last edited:

chosen

Observer
Hi chosen, (bet there's a story with that name ????)

Hi... would you believe it was the only one not taken at the time? LOL
Yes it did have a large shower and separate macerator toilet cubicle. Check out the Global Warrior photos on the allterrainwarriors.com.au website.

I'll check it out in further detail, thanks.

This was a standard Global Warrior module with the option of the drop-down bed over the dinette/double bed. The top bed was a little short and narrow for two adults but a couple of kids was fine. As the roofline is narrower than the middle of the body, the length of the upper bed was a little short. I'm 5'10" and was fine laying up there by myself but I reckon any taller and my feet would have been pushing out on the soft sides. I guess you realize the Global Warriors are only 2150mm wide for clearance reasons in the bush. Many will run camper bodies out to 2400mm but clearance on our bush tracks will be effected....I guess it depends on your needs.

Didn't think about the top being more narrow than the middle bed. I wouldn't be comfortable running a wider camper body. The previous camper body I built was based on a hilux and was only 1800 wide. It was pre baby and now it is passed on to someone else to enjoy as it would not suit our needs. Wanting to take the whole family away, having access to the cab through a crawl through for security and carry everything we require for extended trips of several months to years has led me to trucks. Especially considering the fact that a V8 landcruiser dual cab costs very close to a 4x4 isuzu/fuso/or even iveco new... why would anyone consider anything else?!

Sorry hope I'm not taking the thread offtrack but building a rig for a large family requires special consideration. If it's for Australia, I reckon focus on getting as much outside as you can.......kitchen and shower for example and keep the inside for sleeping and lounging. ATW built an awesome MAN crewcab XL Scout a few years back. I think there is a youtube clip of it somewhere with me driving it around the bush behind Yandina . Check that out.....especially the external features. The owners loved it. The main bed was huge and up top, with a dinette made 2 queen beds. Mind you, that body was 5200mm long and 2400mm wide.

Have you contacted ATW about any options?

Kind regards John

At your recommendation a while back, I made contact and spoke to the other John (very helpful) about the options for vehicles regarding suspension and wheel upgrades. Getting a whole vehicle built including camper would be out of my budget, although am very impressed with the work that ATW do! This leads me to the only option of building it myself - and I like a challenge!!!

I don't mind cooking outside. The last camper had a shower outside and kitchen/cooking set up, no toilet though as we just dug a hole. Not sure that washing in all locations would work if outside, certainly a inside toilet would be my preference. I appreciate your experience and advise with this though.

I have been working my way through your ATW build thread and have seen the MAN crewcab XL scout. The vehicle is huge and being a man, not only would it be smart, but strong - pardon my humour! Don't think I have seen any internal photos though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles