what would you do?

TXscout

Observer
I've got a F350 CCLB and have a chance to get into a F250 CCSB. Putting everything but the size aside, would the smaller truck be worth it for mobility, shorter wheel base, etc? What would you do?

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
What year? Engine? Looks like you have a lot of work into your current engine. Wouldn't make sense to get another 6.0 and have to start over.

1stDeuce

Explorer
If you're saying LB vs SB, I've often said when you need a big truck, you need the WHOLE truck. (I went from an ECLB to a CCSB, and I miss the 8' box on occasion.)
I can only assume you're not rock crawling and running tight trails with either, so the difference in turning radius is probably not worth even talking about. Huge vs. a little huger... :)

TXscout

Observer
I can swap motors no problem, and also plan on over hauling the suspension. I would pull my motor out and install it in the new truck in 2 days tops.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Well then, OK. I have a CCSB because I don't haul stuff, don't tow stuff, and don't have a slide-in camper. The roads and parking lots where I live are not really conducive to CCLB's, and I am partial to the more symmetrical look of a CCSB.

TxFarmTruck

Powerstrokin'
I'd keep the long bed. The difference in maneuverability is very small, and it would be hard for me to give up the functionality of a real 8' bed. Unless you are running very tight trails or trying to park at the front of every parking lot, keep your 8' bed.

Trailboss

Senior Curmudgeon
I have a SB with a contractor top w/doors to replace the tailgate. With this setup, it's a pain to haul plywood with anything else. With no top, I like the SB better for the aforementioned parking lot and sharp turn tracking issues, but I often wish I had a LB for carrying stuff. If you're happy now with the LB, I don't see an advantage to dropping to the F250.

402xjeeper

Observer
F250 verses f250 really doesn't matter, the difference is the rear block, and some f250 don't have overload springs. I love my ccsb, and would not want a long bed. I would change to an f450-550 front axle, and a wider rear to get a tighter turning circle, rather than the short bed truck.

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
long bed

if you dont haul much the sb might be nice, but then if you dont haul much you could just get a subaru baja. if im not hauling tools/materials, im hauling at least a couple dirtbikes and a wekkends worth of camping gear. shortbed sucks for that. my truck is a standard cab though, so the turning radius isnt bad. i would rather have the xtra 2' in the bed than the cab.

TXscout

Observer
All good points. I like my LB because I can fit my kayak with the tailgate down with no bed extender. I also already have a camper top on the LB. I have twins that will soon be much easier to take exploring so having the room will be nice. I just have romantic dreams of a tiny super duty that can haul everything I want! Dreams are fun especially when they defy reality. I am also on the cusp of pulling the trigger on a Carli suspension so I want to be sure my rig is what I want.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Majority of "tight trails" you can get a crew cab long bed down. One of my old trucks had a 9ft long bed by 8ft wide, much more capable than people realize. Stay with the long bed. If you want a better turning radius, install rear steering.

72539_441154293741_610553741_5407993_5165748_n.jpg

P9240019.jpg

402xjeeper

Observer
A ford SD ccsb is as long as the long bed cc k30 pictured. I ran some jeep trails in my old ccsb superduty, and size was a limiting factor.

rayra

Expedition Leader
in that size class, keep the 8'. There's not enough difference in the shortbed for it to matter, unless you are really trying to crawl over things. ~2' diff in length and even less than that in wheelbase, generally.

TXscout

Observer
Nah, I've decided to stick with my bus. I love her and can't wait to get my Carli suspension. Just installed some rigid duallys on the hood

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000