AC relocation tips with 37" wheels.

Flameffects

Observer
IMG_1471.jpg

As one can see I have a clearance problem with my AC unit. Anyone been down this road? I have a 2001 and have just mounted new wheels and tires and ran into a situation. My tires are 37x12.5 R17.

Last edited:

gait

Explorer
I replaced the condenser and placed it between the chassis rails at a slight angle to horizontal with a bit of Al window security grill below it. A bit of metal work for condenser and fan mount.

Not that easy, my mobile aircon man didn't have fittings. I don't know if the compressor or the aircon man were non-standard.

I don't have a winch.

Flameffects

Observer
I guess I had arrived at the same conclusion. The condenser is in a really vulnerable place to begin with. Did you use your stock condenser or buy a different model?

david506th

Adventurer
I don't know about you but I am on the verge of gutting my A/C system. I get very little cool air from it but I need to check the system first for issues.

gait

Explorer
I replaced the condenser. The old one looked like previous owner had cleaned the vehicle with high pressure water hose and squashed all the fiddly little bits so not much air flow through it.

Flameffects

Observer
I went for the fast fix

I went for the fast fix toady so I could drive the truck. I cut the front bracket at the 90 and rewelded it to move closer to the front. I then removed the rear cut it at the 90, re bent the bracket and added a extension. I was about a three hour job but it worked well. I now have a solid 2.5" between my wheel and the AC condenser. If anyone is interested I will post photos. Eventually I will move the unit to the center but for now I more important work to complete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles