Need an ultralight for a family of 4

cornfedksboy

After a recent family vacation, we've decided we want a trailer for our JKU. So I'm looking for advice on what might be out there for our needs.

1) I'm not handy and have no time, so no DIYs
2) It has to be light weight...max tow capability is between 2000 and 3500 lbs depending on where you look.
3) It needs to be at home at camp sites and in RV parks. We want to use it nearly exclusively in place of hotels and in 4 seasons. We're thinking hard sides and all-terrain capability.
4) Need to support a family of four (the wife and I and two boys 7 and 4)

With the above, what I'm thinking is a teardrop with roof top tent (for the boys). Considering Moby1 XTC or XC http://moby1trailers.com or the so-cal XS 510. https://www.socalteardrops.com/page.php?p=44

Anything else I should consider?

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
The term ultra light and family of four are a bit of an oxymoron, no matter how small the kids are, unless you are talking about nylon tent camping. Many of us have previously faced your predicament. If you are planning ANY trips not in summer, I would suggest looking at a Burro and Casita or Aliner; very small trailers with a history of doing well off road with those larger wheels/tires/clearance. They are hard side (Aliner is a pop up hard side) and light weight and can come with enough details to work for an extended period of time in comfort. They are cute enough to be welcomed in any RV campground. My truck camper has been refused as not being a 'coach' at a hoity-toity RV camp. Just this year, some promising large tear drop style trailers have entered the market. Might want to look at those. After watching a couple guys spend 90 painful minutes setting up a small tent trailer in Sequoia, I cannot recommend that route. At least it wasn't raining. It was our entertainment that evening as the sun was setting.
One of these small trailers should be able to be towed by a JK, but not without effort. An empty JK has plenty of power, but a loaded to the gills JK suffers a much higher effort. Not to mention the very low GVW of the JK. I looked at a Casita when I was driving my built CJ-8. The deal did not work out so I bought a Dodge pickup and eventually a truck camper for traveling, off-road.
Good luck and do report back on your selection.
jefe

Last edited:

armymgdude

Observer
I bought a used 17 foot Casita after looking at many many so called off road fully self contained trailers. We needed an extremely durable trailer as my wife and I are going to full time when I retire in 2 years. The Casita has really fit the bill. Inside and outside shower, toilet, kitchen, big bed and tons of storage. I put a 3 inch lift and it fits 235/75R15 tires. The build quality is way better than the comparable brands like the Jayco Baja, and it is the same width as my Dodge, so basically if my truck fits, my house fits. We have already made it go on stupid roads that would destroy most big trailers.
47e8bbcef190cb63f5850564810629af.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior