2015 Frontier SWB Yakima Bike Rack Conundrum

korisu56

Adventurer
Hello all. First time purchasing a non-Jeep 4x4. Digging the wheels so far. New-to-me 2015 w/ 10k on it.

Crux of the issue is I have all four racks equidistant (16"). As the pictures display, the mounting brackets are spread as far apart as possible and the rear bar is slid as far back as possible. With the current configuration, road and TT bike handles are touching and create a bit of tension when locking in the rack. Haven't tried multiple MTB yet. I can't alternate direction because the back tire hits the cab.

I appreciate the time and suggestions.

20150718_192853.jpg
All the same distance apart and spread out as far as possible

20150718_192844.jpg
Moved back as far as possible

20150718_192907.jpg
Front bracket moved to the bedrock clamp

20150718_192919.jpg
Rear clamps moved back as far as possible.

Last edited:

korisu56

Adventurer
Unfortunately the method in which the rack secures the front wheel fixes the position of the bike. Should I put a picture up with the bikes in for reference?

My only other idea is to loosen and twist the handlebars.

E.J.

Explorer
Maybe replace two of them with fork mount trays? That might get the handlebars offset enough.
edit: Or try sliding the crossbars as far as you can to one side and see if you could attach one of the trays on the outside of the tower?

korisu56

Adventurer
Maybe replace two of them with fork mount trays? That might get the handlebars offset enough.
edit: Or try sliding the crossbars as far as you can to one side and see if you could attach one of the trays on the outside of the tower?

Funny you mentioned the latter point. I was taking another look tonight and if I get a longer bolt, I may be able to mount the tray on top of the tower itself. More to follow.

korisu56

Adventurer
Get longer load bars. Place one bike each outside of the towers. Plenty of room for the other two in the middle.

After consideration, I'm concerned about hanging my bike outside of the bed. It's probably totally irrational, but the thought of hanging my expensive (to me) bikes outside of the bed invites disaster. Thinking of folks walking by in a parking lot, for example.

epiccosmo

Adventurer
I really think you should consider having two face backwards and two face forwards. Seems like that would solve your problem....

Example being that the direction of the bike facing your cab would be Front, Rear, Front, Rear.....

Right now they are all facing Front Tire to Cab.

bushnut

Adventurer
just loosen the pinch bolts on the stem and slightly angle the handle bars of 2 of the bikes. all it takes is a 5 or 4mm allen key. when it's time to straighten them back up again torque the bolts to 4-5 Nm, you can buy preset torque keys at your favorite local bike shop for about $15-$25 bucks. problem solved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior