Alternator light glowing dimly

James86004

Expedition Leader
In May I did a dual battery install in our 92 Range Rover using a Blue Sea ACR. We just took a 7000 mile trip, using the refrigerator a lot, running the battery down to the low voltage cutoff a few times, and now the alternator light is glowing dimly. The alternator is putting out 14.75V measured across the battery posts, and there is a voltage drop of 0.02V between the alternator post and both battery + posts. There is less than that between the alternator case and the battery - posts. The alternator is a Delco 12SI which was rebuilt about a year ago. I think it used to put out closer to 13.8V.

Is it possible I fried a component by repeatedly charging a low battery?

James

James86004

Expedition Leader
The starting battery is a 4 year old Odyssey. It has 12.7 volts after letting the car sit overnight. Is there a way to test it? The only thing I know to do is look at the voltage drop when running the starter.

The house battery is a brand new Odyssey.

I spent some time yesterday checking out the wiring and didn't find anything amiss.

228B

Observer
My advice regarding that battery type (I own them too) is to familiarize yourself with how that battery likes to be charged.
Odyssey Battery Tech PDF w/ charge profile information
Then invest in an EnerSys/Odyssey OMAX 50A 1B charger to "treat" each of those batteries, one at a time, when the vehicle is going to remain stationary for a day or two and you have "shore" power.

bdog1

Adventurer
Possible blown diode. Check for AC voltage "noise". Output will be reduced by 33%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz