Silverado 1500 2wd 3" body lift, does it change handling?

calstar

Observer
2000 Silverado 1500 2wd extended cab, 76,000 miles, Bilstein hd shocks. Not an offroader but do drive fire roads passable for 2wd. Id like to have a little more bumper clearance as well as change overall appearance, thinking of going with 3 body lift.
Anybody use a 3" body lift on this or similar Silverado? I'm wondering if the handling changes or if there is noticeably more body roll. I also see that with body lift kits the shocks do not need to be replaced. Any downside using body lift kits. Info and comments appreciated.

thanks, Brian

1stDeuce

Explorer
Yup, whether you lift the body only or the entire chassis, you're still raising the center of gravity, and that does affect handling. A body lift will have slightly less effect than a suspension lift though, since the frame and driveline are still at the lower height.

Oh another note, I HIGHLY recommend you NOT put a 3" body lift under your truck.

First, it'll leave the frame hanging obviously low on a truck where the frame is already low. You're not likely to get hung up because the front or rear bumper are dragging, it's the middle of the truck and breakover angle that usually get in the way of forward progress. If you have a receiver hitch, it will also still hang just as low as it does now, which really makes it moot to raise the bumper.

Second, lifting the body that far will require modifications to quite a bit of stuff, and put a good bit of stress into things that may not appreciate it. (Coolant hoses, wiring harnesses, fuel filler, steering shaft, A/C lines...)

Third, the bumper brackets that are used with body lifts are fairly hokey... Yes, they move the bumpers up, but a fairly significant loss of structural integrity to them.

Lastly, unless you want to run 35's, a 3" body lift is way more than you need for just going up a few tire sizes.

Not sure what size tire you'd like to run, but a 265/75R16 should easily fit your truck with no lift. If you'd like something more like a 33" tire, you can easily adjust the front up an inch or so with the torsion bar bolts. Then 285's should fit just as well. If your truck sits pretty level already, you can turn the front up 1" and then add a 1" or 1-1/2" block to the back. That'll get the frame and bumpers up without making the truck look silly with the frame hanging down below the body.

No, "cranking" up the bars won't make it ride like crap unless you crank it up a lot. Adjusting the bolts does EXACTLY the same thing as a "leveling kit" with new keys, and the keys are a real pain to install. For 1" or so of ride height increase, you won't notice a difference, or the ride will get better if you're sitting on the jounce bumpers in the front now. If you want to go more than 1" or so, I'd get longer front shocks, or space up the shock brackets 1/2" or so off the lower control arm so you still have a decent amount of droop travel.

If you really want it to be a little taller after that, then you could do a small body lift too. Zone has a 1-1/2" kit. If you can find a 1" kit, that might be a better option. But I really recommend keeping the body lift low, if done at all.

Must my $.05. (Probably worth less than $.02 after inflation...)
Chris

Last edited:

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Not sure what size tire you'd like to run, but a 265/75R16 should easily fit your truck with no lift. If you'd like something more like a 33" tire, you can easily adjust the front up an inch or so with the torsion bar bolts. Then 285's should fit just as well. If your truck sits pretty level already, you can turn the front up 1" and then add a 1" or 1-1/2" block to the back. That'll get the frame and bumpers up without making the truck look silly with the frame hanging down below the body.

No, "cranking" up the bars won't make it ride like crap unless you crank it up a lot. Adjusting the bolts does EXACTLY the same thing as a "leveling kit" with new keys, and the keys are a real pain to install. For 1" or so of ride height increase, you won't notice a difference, or the ride will get better if you're sitting on the jounce bumpers in the front now. If you want to go more than 1" or so, I'd get longer front shocks, or space up the shock brackets 1/2" or so off the lower control arm so you still have a decent amount of droop travel.

Generally agree that the 3 inch body can be a bit much.
Disagree with your statements on t-bars as not being applicable to the 2wd 1500 described in the OP which will have coils on front, not tbars.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
It's a bad idea, period.

You can stuff some surprisingly tall tires under that sucker without a lift. My 1998 K1500 ran a set or 33s, then two sets of 35s, and is now on its third set of 33s. All on stock suspension. The trick is to get the correct offset and rim width on your wheels. Your ground clearance is based on your tire radius, not on how high the truck sits. The dopey, flat billed mall crawler types were somewhat chagrined when they realized that my truck had better ground clearance than theirs, and a better breakover angle.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
you can easily adjust the front up an inch or so with the torsion bar bolts.
2wd 1/2 tons are coil sprung in the front. You can still get the front up a little for very little $ with a small spacer lift. It will go on the end of your spring or on top of the strut, depending on which kind of 2000 you have (they made both GMT400's (as Silverado Classic) and GMT800 (the new model) that year.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Oops, my bad, I was thinking about 2500/3500 trucks, which use the 4wd chassis and torsion bars on 2wd trucks as well for hte '00+ trucks. So cranking the bars isn't an option for the OP, since he has a 1500. But there are LOTS of coil spacer lifts that will work just fine, and they're not that expensive.
Chris

karlmagnum

Observer
A body can affect handling but not much because it will only lift the body of your rig without making an adjustment to your suspension.

mccustomize

Explorer
Oops, my bad, I was thinking about 2500/3500 trucks, which use the 4wd chassis and torsion bars on 2wd trucks as well for hte '00+ trucks. So cranking the bars isn't an option for the OP, since he has a 1500. But there are LOTS of coil spacer lifts that will work just fine, and they're not that expensive.
Chris

Some 1/2 ton GM trucks left the factory with torsion bars up front on a 2 wheel drive model. It seems to only plague the 06/07 classic trucks, maybe parts left over GM had already ordered, who knows, but some did. It's best just to crawl under and check.

OP you could run the zone 1.5" bodylift with a coil spacer and clear 285s just fine. If the body roll is noticeable to you, go with a slightly bigger sway bar to counter act it.

Me personally, I've been driving my solid axle swapped chevy on flexy bronco coils for 3 years with no sway bar at all. It's only a nuisance on the highway every once in a while.

upndown

Adventurer
I have a 2007 Silverado regular cab. I've been thinking about a leveling kit, just to get the nose off the ground. Any comments about those?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have a 2007 Silverado regular cab. I've been thinking about a leveling kit, just to get the nose off the ground. Any comments about those?
I don't like leveling kits just for the sake of changing the look of the truck, and it makes the truck nose-high when you are hauling anything. Having said that, I don't own a 2007 Silverado and don't know how bad its unloaded handling is, but my '98 K1500 was fine without any leveling kit. On the other hand, my '08 Tundra had absolutely horrible handling on stock suspension and I was talked into a leveling kit to improve handling. The Tundra was a pig on factory shocks and low nose, but the combo of new ProComp shocks and a leveling kit transformed the handling. It's still not as good as the stock GMC, but at least now it's pleasant to drive. The leveling kit seems to have reduced the understeer to the point where it's tolerable.

free radical

2000 Silverado 1500 2wd extended cab, 76,000 miles, Bilstein hd shocks. Not an offroader but do drive fire roads passable for 2wd. Id like to have a little more bumper clearance as well as change overall appearance, thinking of going with 3 body lift.
Anybody use a 3" body lift on this or similar Silverado? I'm wondering if the handling changes or if there is noticeably more body roll. I also see that with body lift kits the shocks do not need to be replaced. Any downside using body lift kits. Info and comments appreciated.

thanks, Brian
Stupid idea,bro,I've never heard of anyone lifting a two wheel drive and would not recommend doing so,,if you want to explore off road,
Sell this truck and get a 4x4..

I've had 2000 GMC and it does sit extremely low,,loved how good it handled in corners..my 08 2WD in comparison sits way too high..hate that part of it as otherwise it's very reliable..
Maybe you should buy newer one those are very high off the ground already..

cdclpc

Stupid idea,bro,I've never heard of anyone lifting a two wheel drive and would not recommend doing so,,if you want to explore off road,
Sell this truck and get a 4x4..

I've had 2000 GMC and it does sit extremely low,,loved how good it handled in corners..my 08 2WD in comparison sits way too high..hate that part of it as otherwise it's very reliable..
Maybe you should buy newer one those are very high off the ground already..

I leveled my daily driven 2wd F150 because I got sick of pushing snow with my front bumper on country roads all winter. For my application, I was able to do so just by changing to new 4wd quick struts and a getting an alignment. I will say that it drove terrible for the few days it was leveled before it was aligned. It was honestly the best thing I ever did to my 2wd pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I'll second the lift spindles idea, other than needing wheel spacers up front or 17" wheels they are likely most cost effective and will give most ground clearance.

I had no choice but to lol @ free radical's comments, op stated he explores fire roads. Probably in the same situation as me, already owning the truck and not having too much use for a 4x4, I have no problem making it to work in the snow or taking my family out exploring the back roads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94