Silverado 1500 2wd 3" body lift, does it change handling?

cdclpc

Mud is my nemesis, but other than "deep" mud, I can go many places in my 2wd that I never though I would be able to. I run a set of studded snow tires from November until April and I have no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Defiantly recommend spindles, i know for my ranger I have options for 3 and 4" spindles, don't bother with coil spacers as they make the ride terrible(on rangers at least) and i would wait for the body lift unless you truly need more tire clearance

calstar

Observer
After all the great input I did not do any lift kit, appears to not be any benefit in doing it. I did put on new Bilstien shocks which made a huge difference in ride and handling. I've realized my 2wd is what it is and I should just get another truck if I want any off road capability. From about 1980-89 I had 1964 1/2 ton 4x4 Suburban with a very beefy pto winch, had a lot of fun with that, really too bad it was t-boned by some jerk careening around the corner into it as was parked in front of my house, would love to still have it today.

thanks again for the input, Brian

Last edited:

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
After all the great input I did not do any lift kit, appears to not be any benefit in doing it. I did put on new Bilstien shocks which made a huge difference in ride and handling. I've realized my 2wd is what it is and I should just get another truck if I want any off road capability. From about 1980-89 I had 1964 1/2 ton 4x4 Suburban with a very beefy pto winch, had a lot of fun with that, really too bad it was t-boned by some jerk careening around the corner into it as was parked in front of my house, would love to still have it today.

thanks again for the input, Brian

just lift it haha, you can still have a lot of fun off road with a 2wd, just need to have friends with 4wd in case you get a little silly..

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If you lift it, put some good tires and a locker in the back you will go places stock 4x4s will no problem. Remember, they are only 2wd in the true sense.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If it's your daily driver, I would go either Detroit truetrac, or a fully selectable like an arb. But the truetrac will be fine if your not putting wheels in the air.

upndown

Adventurer
Any idea of price for a Detroit Truetrac? And is that something that would be available at a pic and pull yard? I know the ARB probably not. Just thinking as a possible backup, can't hurt.

I've spent my entire adult life driving 2wd service trucks. In Ill and AZ without incident, but now I spend alot of time fishing in the mountains. Never know what's gonna happen weather wise. Thanks!

gatorgrizz27

Not going to find a tru-trac at a junkyard, and if you're budget minded it's not a cheap/easy install either. The GM factory lockers were common, though they were nicknamed "gov-bombs" as they can be unreliable and fail. However they do hold up ok with decent sized tires and not driving like a teenager. I forget the option code but look it up and you can find it listed inside the glovebox. Pick up the whole rear axle and swap it, super easy job and cheap. Make sure the gear ratio is the same.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I forget the option code
Option code is G80, but that covers both lockers and limited slip diffs. In the half-ton trucks it will generally be an automatic locker, and in the big half-ton SUVs (Tahoe, Escalade, Yukon, Suburban) it will generally be a limited slip. I have both (one truck and one SUV), and both have failed. The limited slip in the 2000 SUV did explode a few years ago and took all the gears and the ends of the axle shafts with it, so I found a complete rear end and it bolted in with minimal hassle. The locking diff in the 1998 truck also failed, but less catastrophically and gave me plenty of warning. I had a trans/diff shop rebuild that one. Neither job was particularly cheap. When the GM locker is working, it does a decent job for what it is.

Add: When I went looking for the complete rear end for the SUV, there were none available locally because they fail so often that decent used ones sell immediately. I found one in a recycling yard on the other side of the country and had it shipped, so that added a bunch to the cost. Did not have much option because the exploded pumpkin was not easily rebuildable. The recycler that I bought it from told me that they bought them by the boxcar load because they sell so many of them.

Last edited:

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
I second (third,fourth..?) avoiding a large, or any, body lift. The spindles for a bit more lift, or the spacers for an inch or so. Maybe a small block or add-a-leaf in the rear. Large body lifts just don't get you much for the hassle and drawbacks..

I have a detroit locker in the rear axle of my truck and am happy with it. It isn't the most refined, or quiet option, but relatively cheap and ultra-reliable compared to the select-able options out there. With good tires, low air pressure, and a locker most people would be surprised what a 2wd will do. Mine is 4x4, but I've been around a few 2wd with lockers and I've always been impressed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior