What are the downsides to a FWC?

Viggen

Just here...
Looking into the next build and have been thinking a lot about what to do next. It will probably (about 90% sure) going to be a truck, and probably a late 80s F150 as I really like that generation. With that, I have been thinking about something that would make wheeling and camping a bit more comfortable. Options are bed cage/ RTT, Flippac, and FWC. I never thought about the FWC until I watched the Dirt Everyday episode and was intrigued. So, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

ripperj

Explorer
As far as the pros for a FWC or any other small camper compared to the RTT or flip pack, they usually have sinks, stoves and 3 way fridges. Not to mention a proper place to sit if you get caught in the rain. I have never been in a RTT, but don't think I would want to spend a rainy weekend in one( the camper would be bad enough)

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: An FWC, other than restrict the pickup bed is for full camping/cooking/sleeping/playing games/shelter from weather and--

An RTT is for --SLEEPING--so any other camping gear you want/need--you have to carry/setup--seperate !

Make up your mind whst you want and take the plunge, my RTT (TEPUI) is on a trailer, so I have all my camping gear and sleeping quarters--but I use my jeep, not my truck-

I'll probably getta new truck and then I can add an FWC to the collection--so I'll have all bases covered !

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

As far as the pros for a FWC or any other small camper compared to the RTT or flip pack, they usually have sinks, stoves and 3 way fridges. Not to mention a proper place to sit if you get caught in the rain. I have never been in a RTT, but don't think I would want to spend a rainy weekend in one( the camper would be bad enough)

Personally I consider those a con. If Im out camping and enjoying nature I want to cook and hang outside. Sounds miserable hanging out with friends around the camp fire in the bush but I am stuck cooking in my camper. Not to mention if your caught in the rain what are you really doing? Im going to lay out and read a book, In which case a roof top tent, flip pac or basically any style camper fits the bill regardless.

coguzzi

Adventurer
ive only used my camper stove for back up when i run out of burners outside. although it has never happened, i have a stove inside if the weather is ever foul enough i dont want to go out. so i say stove is PRO. just because its there, does not require you to use it for everything. if you really wanna carry a separate stove to use outside (like you would in t a RTT)--go for it, FWC does not make you sign a contract stating you can only use their stove, as a matter of fact, you can get a shell with out a stove

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: YUP, I've made coffee in my RTT, while I'm cooking chilli/steaks on the "Chef stove" outside-

All you gotta do is use your imagination when camping !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

dman93

Adventurer
It seems from what I read that the FWC is a quality product. The FlipPac, not so much. And the FlipPac requires do-it-yourself fitting out. But setting those two aspects aside, the FlipPac has more room if you want an empty shell to haul stuff, has just as much room for fitting seating, kitchen, etc, has more interior volume when opened up, and is much lighter. And cheaper. For equivalent dollars, a FlipPac could be better in almost every way than an FWC. Assuming you would be DIY for the camper equipment.

Viggen

Just here...
Thanks, all things that I have been thinking about. With the jacks on the side of the FWC, is it easy to slide in and out? Like, can it be slid out and into a garage to allow the use of the bed? That is probably the biggest downside that I can see. The Flippac allows bed use but I have also read about quality issues and issues with the fabric and sealing when it rains. Basically, I am looking for ways to be more comfortable with a young daughter, Beagle, wife, etc... The FWC is a pretty big investment, about double the cost new of a Flippac, but convenience and having everything in one place is a huge plus. How does it handle off road?

ripperj

Explorer
Getting the camper on and off is not a two minute operation, but a lot of that depends on the truck bed to jack leg clearance, if there is plenty of room then it goes pretty quick.
I have seen pics of FWCs on smaller trucks(Tacomas and Rangers) in garages, but most truck/camper combos won't fit in a normal garage

ripperj

Explorer
If you meant storing the camper in a garage, you can offload the camper in the driveway onto a dolly and roll it into the garage if it won't fit in the garage on the truck.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
The FWC is a great product.
To me the negatives to consider.
1. East coast trails, most stick out a bit on the sides, our trails are tighter and have more trees. Just this year I have been down FS roads that a FWC on my truck would have caught stuff.
2. Soft sides. I may be wrong, but I am not sure you can camp in a FWC in the NP in bear country out west (there is - maybe was? - a rule that said you had to have a hard sided camper in some NP campgrounds)
3. Use of the bed - I have a Flippac, but not pushing that - with the camper mounted, you don't have the truck bed for a hardware store run.

Pros -
1. Hard top and less leaks. I think you can carry stuff on roof.
2. Place to play family games when it is raining at 3pm and your 2 daughters and wife don't want to read.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
My wife and I bought a Grandy for our Superduty and it has been great, my only complaint is the lack of storage for long trips. You have to pretty much pile everything on the floor and then unload to set-up, not a big deal. I do really like that we got the compressor fridge with solar and as far as the stove, it is really nice for making coffee. We spend all of our time for the most part out doors even in bad weather so the lack of room is not a big deal, it's pretty small inside with two adults and a dog.

homemade

Adventurer
I liked the looks of the older F150s also.
Look into it more, many have found that their 1/2 ton trucks don't have enough capacity to safely carry the load of a FWC.
Unless you find a great deal on a FWC they are very expensive new and used (I see a '10 Hawk listed for $18,000 a few posts down).
A FWC has no use unless camping, how often are you really going to use it? I wouldn't want a $10,000 - $20,000 camper sitting around used only on occasion for camping trips.
The flippac is just a shell, lots of people want a shell on their truck full time. I can remove or put on the flippac within a half hour and it can be stored on a Harbor Freight trailer or dolly just like the FWC.
All personal preference of course but for a 1/2 ton truck the weight issue is a big deal.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The biggest argument in their favor is that they provide a warm, dry, secure, self contained space - more or less. If it's cold, turn on the heater. If the weather is crappy, go inside & close the door - you can still stand up, move around a bit, stretch, cook, sit, lay down, what ever you want. Don't discount that standing up thing - we did the roof top tent, & it sucked in crappy weather because all you could do was lay down after carefully shedding your muddy shoes (& possibly other muddy clothes) in an effort to keep your bed clean(ish). A camper makes that much easier since you can step inside onto a towel or door mat, shed the muddy clothes, then step off into a clean area. A secondary benefit is that you can store your camping gear in the camper even while it's at home, freeing up garage or shed space.

For me, there are two big downsides: Loading/unloading time, & the physical size/weight. I store my FWC in the back yard. It takes me about an hour to clear out access to it, load it, tie it down, and put everything back (trash cans, cribbing, etc). Then you still have to load your food, water, gear, etc., so add another hour or three (depending on how well you have planned ahead), and you quickly run into a full 1/2 day just getting ready to leave. We don't take any spur of the moment trips with the camper - just too big of a PIA for a quick overnighter. The other issue is the physical size. It's big - wide, tall, & heavy. Between the camper, truck, food/water/gear, we're in the 9,000 pound range. That's a lot of weight when the trails get tough. As a result, we don't always take that interesting looking fork in the road. For us, that wasn't a deal breaker since we were drifting away from the more difficult trails & towards easier points where we would set off on foot/bicycle/motorcycle, but it may be a bit of an issue for someone else.

Adding an annex or changing room to a RTT would give it many of the benefits of the pop up camper, but it still has considerable set up time - which could be a pain if the weather is poor. The FWC takes about 15 seconds to unlatch the top, then step inside to do the rest, where you're out of the elements. The Flip-pac or Habitat offers similar advantages to the camper, but lacks the amenities (built in water tank, stove, 'fridge, etc), but if you're primarily an "outdoor" camper, & only need occasional respite from the elements & a nice place to sleep, they make a compelling argument.

Viggen

Just here...
Yeah, weight is a consideration. Throwing some different springs (as I do not believe that there is a real frame difference) and junkyard axles for a few hundred bucks could remedy the issue though. And yeah, having it just sit in the driveway/ garage would be a little bit of a waste as, not being retired or anywhere close to it, camping is not something that can be done too terribly often. The Flippac does have its advantages as a topper that can be kept on full time. A RTT with a bed mount is a lot cheaper but nearly as care free.

As mentioned above, one main concern is that of tight trails wanting to reach out and rip things up. An RTT on a bed mount would be the safest and most out of the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94