Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you turn off the door chime?

Default How do you turn off the door chime?

I don't know why most vehicles have a chime that beeps when you open the door with the key in the ignition, but they don't beep over something important like low oil pressure or overheating.

Anyway, is there a way I can disable this feature on our 2006 Silverado? When we were camping this past weekend, we wanted to listen to the radio, and it would have been nice to leave the key in the accessory position and have the door open so we could hear it without cranking it way up.

Thanks,

James
    James Howard

1968 Land Rover Dormobile
    1992 Range Rover, green with a white roof, the "Rangemobile"
    http://dormobile.blogspot.com

Not sure if it will work the same in your vehicle, but I have done the procedure to several vehicles of mine in the past. Look around where the door matches up with the door "frame". There should be a small black button, it could be covered in a rubber boot, or not. There is probably two small screws holding the plate on. Remove screws and plate, take out and disconnect the wires, sometimes there is a quick-connect, (and then wrap ends with electrical tape-to seal out moisture) and then put back in. This should work. It may also disconnect the "door" function of the cabin light, but it's worth it. I also have disconnected the "chirp" coming from under the hood when locking my vehicles too.
    2006 Dodge Power Wagon. Warm M12,000 lb winch, Front and rear lockers, disconnecting Sway Bar, 4:56 gearing. Aluminess Slimline Front Bumper, BuckStop Rear Bumper, Airflow Snorkel, Mombassa Roof Top Tent on a Front Runner "Bakke" rack. BFG 35" KM2's.

Thanks. That is a simple reversable idea.

I cut the wire to the ignition lock one time, but the way the electronics are in this one, I am afraid to do that. Your idea is better.
    James Howard

You might check in your owner's manual. We've owned three Suburbans. In each we were able to re-program various unwanted devices, door chimes, automatic doorlocks (the most offensive one in my opinion), safety-belt chime. Also our Excursion had some of these features that we have re-programmed.

Allen R
    "I'm ahead of the game and can afford to take chances." --Theodore Roosevelt
    '11 Mini Cooper Clubman, '04 Dodge Dakota 4X4

Read through this big thread for some details: http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/in...=1113&hl=chime

I think GM made it pretty hard on to kill on the newer trucks - so look for simple solutions what Fireman mentioned...

Pete
    ~/\ ☼
    / -- \
    Pete Hartl - VE6PGH - 0VRLAND

EXPEDITION = (Encounters + Adventures + Experiences) x YOU

On your truck the door chime is played through the front door speakers, you can switch out to an after market radio and use a simple harness without door chime and onstar features to eliminate it. Or just leave the window open instead of your door.

Okay, I went through all your ideas, and that big long thread. Thanks for all the pointers.

The door jamb switch idea won't work, because it appears the switch is internal to the latch. Maybe if I could find the wire from that switch under the dash, I could just modify it. I wonder if it is normally open or closed?

The big thread had a few ideas. The simple one is to latch the door while it is open, by clicking the bear claw over. This tricks the door into thinking it is closed. You just have to remember to pull on the exterior handle before you close the door.

There is a green wire under the steering column you can cut, which disables the key-in signal.

There is a switch inside the steering column you can pull out.

I couldn't find anything in the manual about the chime.
    James Howard

Does the chime play through the speakers? On older model Suburbans I've been able to remove (unplug) the chime itself. They bury it so getting to it isn't easy, but it can be done. Have done similar on my older VW Rabbits too.

Now to do the Roger Brown mod on Toyota's IGN key lock thingy......
    I used to swerve around my hallucinations, now I drive right through them.

Leave the door shut and roll down the windows.

Simple AND reversible. :-)
    1991 Ford F350 CC, LB, SRW, 7.3 NA IDI

Its even more complicated than that. Any 2003 and up that has power windows has a computer module in each door and the switch is in the door wand connected to the door computer ( ddm or pdm ). the door module then sends the chime command across the data bus to the radio and it plays the chime through the speakers.

I wouldn't play the stock radio long times like that anyway, with the new security system the body computer is live the whole time too as well as some more electronics on the bus so its going to draw some more power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast