How To: Adding a Cabin Filter to Gen III Montero

DSouth

Observer
For some as yet unknown reason Mitsubishi Motors decided not to equip US bound Gen III Monteros with a cabin filter, even though the Heater/Fan Box is designed to accept one. Instead they just left the blanking plate in sealing it off. I like to keep the dust out when I'm offroading so I typically wheel with the windows up unless I am leading the pack. I did some poking around on www.rockauto.com looking for a Pajero Part that visually matched and hit upon a probable winner.

I chose an activated carbon filter. Part Number: 24590 Febi Bilstein that I actually purchased from Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/311217681312
Total Cost(w/shipping): ~50 USD

IMG_0782.jpg

Drop the lower glove box all the way down by pinching in the two side stoppers. This will reveal the HVAC box.

IMG_0783.jpg

Carefully cut out the blanking plate. I used a sharp utility knife, the kind that have replacement blades stored inside their handle. But any sharp blade will do. Let your blade cut inside the recessed rectangular groove.

IMG_0784.jpg

Find a couple of suitable wood/plastic screws. I found a couple from my junk bin. Just need two.

IMG_0785.jpg

Take your new filter out of the bag, slide it in and screw it tight.

IMG_0786.jpg

Enjoy your handywork with a nice cold adult beverage, after putting the glove box back up.

I'm cheap, so when it comes time to change this filter out I'm going to be looking for a local filter of the same dimension minus the attached plastic cap/cover. I figure I should be able to cobble together a way to hold the filter using the plastic cap/cover from this first filter. I'll update this thread if/when I figure that out. Or perhaps others can if they already have a solution.

Last edited:

TheMole

Adventurer
Nice man thanks for sharing the DIY. Do you notice any reduction in the air that comes through the vents? Hm wonder if the gen2 has this behind the glovebox. :squint:

DSouth

Observer
Nice man thanks for sharing the DIY. Do you notice any reduction in the air that comes through the vents? Hm wonder if the gen2 has this behind the glovebox. :squint:

I'm sure there must be, but I don't notice it. I still get plenty of air blown around.

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Interesting, we were talking about air filters and such the other day, now I do wonder if I got any for my cabin and need to check. With the dust smell in my car, I am sure mine doesn't have one :)

DSouth

Observer
You are right. I thought the tabs seemed close to the correct positions.

The best option I found is eBay searches for the filters. These seem to be an option that was not installed in most factory models.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-MITSUBISHI-Pajero-III-3-Shogun-4-Activated-Carbon-Cabin-air-filter-/151093551676?hash=item232de0a23c&vxp=mtr

That one looks about right. I went ahead and updated my original post with a link to the same ebay store/item where I purchased, in case it is helpful to others.

Leeson

I found these big brackets installed when I went to put in an air filter. Can't imagine what they're for and no one else seems to have them. They weigh about a pound each and seem to serve no purpose so I'm just removing them. I wouldn't normally remove something just because I don't know why it's there but this time I am.
If you want them in your car PM me and I'll sell them to you!

Attachments

• 20201002_145514_copy_1612x784.jpg
    20201002_145514_copy_1612x784.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20201002_145507_copy_1612x784.jpg
    20201002_145507_copy_1612x784.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 31

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94