Preparations, Discovery 2

lynx40

Disco 2

Hi just an update depending how good you are with the spanners my first item to change would be the oil pump bolt as these have been known to come loose and fail resulting in destroying the engine it's only a 10mm bolt with loctite on the Lower pump pulley but to access it you have to take sump off look on Discovery2.co.uk there's a walk through how to do it as your doing a major service it would make sence it' on my list of jobs to do also look at the front and rear camseal the o ring becomes compressed an loose an oil starts weeping also mentioned is the nanocom which is pc internet base and good but also consider Hawkeye by bearmach who do the soft wear for Landrover which just plugs into the obi connector once registered and uses the car for it's information between the 2 not much difference in pricing I've got the Hawkeye as its more simple to use plug an play I hope all this helps😎

GrahamR

Running a high mileage TD5 discovery, I have just been fixing a catalog of problems.
From experience I would consider changing the electric fuel pump in the tank, changing the fuel filter and the fuel pressure valve.

I would also change the front uj's and centre bearing as preventive maintenance. Having done mine, it has made a huge difference to the smoothness of the drive train.

I have also had to do the cylinder head gasket as the nylon dowels had failed which then caused it to over heat.
The clutch release bearing also failed at 284,000 kms.
But these problems could happen with any vehicle at any stage.

Cheers,
Graham
Auckland , NZ

Hope this helps,
Graham.
Auckland. NZ

MLu

Adventurer
How could I forget www.discovery2.co.uk, I was looking at that site even before buying the damn thing. D2BC also seems like a pretty good resource! I appreciate all the hints, but in some cases (like the oil pump bolt) I'm going to just go ahead and assume that if it has held up for 16 years and 294,000 kilometers then it's likely not going to fall off anytime soon (touch wood, famous last words...). Obviously I'll do it if I need to open up the sump for any reason.

Now, I'd say I got my maintenance stuff sorted as far as research goes.

An actual ExPo-related question: where have you fitted an auxiliary battery in a Td5? Do I really NEED one? Not necessarily, but redundancy is good, and it opens up some more options with regards to refrigeration, recharging various electronics, illumination and so on. I'd prefer to keep it in the engine bay for a multitude of reasons, but the obvious place (same side as original battery, but up by the firewall) is already taken up by my Webasto diesel-fired heating system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000