Canter FG649 SWB Camper Truck Build

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Not coming from an RV, but cruising sailboat (actually a lot of similarity, next adventure is an expedition rv), we have been living off solar for several years now. Some MPPT charge controllers can have remote panels. These provide both panel output, but also amp usage (which I think is even more important). Sort of like a fuel gauge for your batteries. The "Blue Sky" one we use does use a shunt, and I think it might be needed to measure the current. When I do an RV build I will replicate this system, works extremely well.

Bris31

Adventurer
A trip through Simpson Desert and beyond

A Simspon Desert trip with Dan & Henny (Canters), Rob (Isuzu), Trevor & Geoff (Prados).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    591.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    635.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 74

Daz b

G'day bris I just need to pick your brain about tyre pressures I'm running 315/75/16 on Alan's rims my truck comes in at 5500 kg fully loaded including the boat on the back what pressures do you run for corregations and soft sand and how low have you had them down to I'm off to Arnhem Land and west coast in a couple of weeks cheers Darren

Aussie Iron

Explorer
G'day bris I just need to pick your brain about tyre pressures I'm running 315/75/16 on Alan's rims my truck comes in at 5500 kg fully loaded including the boat on the back what pressures do you run for corregations and soft sand and how low have you had them down to I'm off to Arnhem Land and west coast in a couple of weeks cheers Darren

I'll run with this one. Same size that we are running , at about the same weight.Brij runs lighter than us. It still depends on the brand of tyres as some are softer in the side walls than other. With Kuhmo KL71's on Hennys' Canter :- road - 45/50psi, corrugations - 35psi keeping speed down and in the desert 25psi and lower if we had needed it. On mine with Goodride SL386 (softer in sidewalls) :- 55psi on road, corrugations - 35psi keeping speed down and watching temps on tyre dogs, with 25psi on sand. If needed we would go down to 15psi and possibly lower in emergency keeping speed and sharp turning down to minimum. In the long run it is all trail and error and you will need to try it out for yourself as different conditions and circumstances favor different pressures. The beach and the desert are two different sands. The beach I had done a lot off and the desert is totally some thing else.

Dan.

Daz b

I'll run with this one. Same size that we are running , at about the same weight.Brij runs lighter than us. It still depends on the brand of tyres as some are softer in the side walls than other. With Kuhmo KL71's on Hennys' Canter :- road - 45/50psi, corrugations - 35psi keeping speed down and in the desert 25psi and lower if we had needed it. On mine with Goodride SL386 (softer in sidewalls) :- 55psi on road, corrugations - 35psi keeping speed down and watching temps on tyre dogs, with 25psi on sand. If needed we would go down to 15psi and possibly lower in emergency keeping speed and sharp turning down to minimum. In the long run it is all trail and error and you will need to try it out for yourself as different conditions and circumstances favor different pressures. The beach and the desert are two different sands. The beach I had done a lot off and the desert is totally some thing else.

Dan.
Thanks Dan I'm running nitto trail grabber thier a m/t with a good sidewall lug, I have them at 55 psi at the moment and they seem good very quiet and track really well on the road and what little dirt I have had a chances to do.I've got 3 months to see how they go,plenty of desert and beach cheers Darren

Bris31

Adventurer
Hi Briz....Very cool build, we have just started, more pics to follow I hope.

Glad to see you liked the setup. It is pretty much basic compare to what people are building here on the forum. Coming from tent camping for many years, it is 5 star hotel in the bush for us. Awaiting to see the photos of your build.
Cheers

Ian n Karin

I think you have nailed it tho, KISS or basic, that works is all that is needed. That's what we are going to base ours on. We found an FG439 thats our start. Just trying to get my head around the torsion free subframe, reading all the input on the subject makes my head spin.....

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94