Canter FG649 SWB Camper Truck Build

chosen

Observer
Your dislike if the raised white lettering is shared by many folks. The old fashion tire product called tire black would cover up the white if you can find it. I have heard cleaning the lettering with a degreaser and coloring the letters with a black permanent marker actually holds up pretty well. However, a good layer of dust or mud is easier....

I can second that, when I had the BFG's on my last Hilux, the tire cleaning product all but stripped the white off. It smeared over the sides initially, but eventually wore off. Also carby-clean and other solvents like acetone work a real treat.

Some others on this forum seem happy with KUMHO 315/75R16 127/124Q ROAD VENTURE MT's... they are real cheap too!!!

Bris31

Adventurer
Some others on this forum seem happy with KUMHO 315/75R16 127/124Q ROAD VENTURE MT's... they are real cheap too!!!

It seems Kumho makes only MT in this range. I prefer AT - ride should be more softer on road. BFGoodrich AT reviews looks good for off road usage as well. I anticipate our trips would be around 70%-30% (offroad) as far as kms is concerned.

Bris31

Adventurer
New rims & tyres - tyre pressure set at 48psi due to no weight. Ride has become very much soft over corrugated dirt road and bitumen. Speed difference is about 8km (when compared with GPS & dashboard so if dash showing 70km/hr, GPS is showing 78km/hr). 80km = RPM 2200 // 85km = RPM 2500.

Attachments

• Rim1 (1).jpg
    Rim1 (1).jpg
    137 KB · Views: 93
  • Tyre1.jpg
    Tyre1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Tyre2.jpg
    Tyre2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Bris31

Adventurer
A question about the length of subframe.

Is there a legal requirement that subframe can't be made longer than the chassis?

As per regulation rear hang behind the axle (or center of rear wheel) can't be more than 60% of the wheelbase (my truck is 2780mm so it will be 1660mm). I measured my chassis extends up to 1240mm. So can I make subframe longer than chassis up to 1660mm?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
A question about the length of subframe.

Is there a legal requirement that subframe can't be made longer than the chassis?

As per regulation rear hang behind the axle (or center of rear wheel) can't be more than 60% of the wheelbase (my truck is 2780mm so it will be 1660mm). I measured my chassis extends up to 1240mm. So can I make subframe longer than chassis up to 1660mm?

Hi Brij,
There is no legal requirement there....however any subframe must be mounted to the approval of and signed off by an engineer..... so you need to get a Qld Blue/Modplate no matter what. Subframes longer than the chassis are common. The subframe of course needs to be strong enough to support the overhanging weight.....if not then the aft section of the chassis is typically extended to help support that weight.
If your WB is 2780 then it should be the original SWB and 1668mm sounds right for the maximum rear overhang. Brij, do not make the mistake of making the rear of the body 1660mm overhang and then adding things to the rear wall. When Transport says "Maximum Rear Overhang" that is exactly what they mean and this includes absolutely any permanent fixture on the rear of the body, eg: spare wheels, antennas, lights, racks of any description, etc. Make sure you allow plenty of length for that sort of stuff. I've seen a body knocked back on the thickness of the rear end outline marker lights!!! And another knocked back on the thickness of the hinge pins of the tailgate!!!! I hope you get the point.
FYI, 3500mm is a common body length for a SWB FG637/649 and should allow enough for a rear bumper with a spare wheel(s) mounted up on it.

Regards John

Last edited:

Bris31

Adventurer
I am considering spare wheel location in the rear storage rather at the back rack. It would be accessed from the rear hatch door. The weight of the rim/tyre is about 40kg, just manageable without winch. This would make the living area slightly longer and save weight on rack & winch. Anything I am overlooking? Also any idea on how to secure it in the storage area?

Attachments

• RearWheelPlacement2.JPG
    RearWheelPlacement2.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 64

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I don't know about you, but every day I am getting older.
Getting a 40kg wheel out of a location like that might not be that bad, but if the wheel you are putting back in there were wet or covered in mud, manhandling it up to that height might prove to be a little challenging.
It's not something that I would want to be doing, but maybe that's just me.

Bris31

Adventurer
I don't know about you, but every day I am getting older.
Getting a 40kg wheel out of a location like that might not be that bad, but if the wheel you are putting back in there were wet or covered in mud, manhandling it up to that height might prove to be a little challenging.
It's not something that I would want to be doing, but maybe that's just me.

Agreed, mud situation will be challenging (in fact for all tasks outside if it comes to) but not impossible. Still have time to think over cons vs pros.
Cheers

Bris31

Adventurer
Sorry for the delayed response, just returned from a month long hike. I am running the BFG AT KO2 in a 37/12.5/17 and am very pleased with them. Quiet on the freeway and "nearly" unstoppable in all conditions off road when aired down.

Allan

Thanks Allan, good to see someone is happy with BFG's new series KO2. These were introduced about 3 years ago and seems to have same (if not better) reputation than KO series.

Cheers

Bris31

Adventurer
Some progress on next step - subframe in making.

Attachments

• Frame1.jpg
    Frame1.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier