Canter FG649 SWB Camper Truck Build

corrupt

Observer
You have made me jealous :) ,thanks for the toilet feedback also .
What do you have in mind for the front suspension?
After driving around in canters both old and new shape and both 300 and 550 Isuzu's on a minesite I think all they need is the springs being reset to a 2-3" lift to give you more room between the bump stop and the chassis. That's my plan anyway.

Bris31

Adventurer
It looks great! Congrats on your maiden voyage. Isn't it a great feeling to get out of the shop and into the wilds!
Allan
Thanks Allan! We camped in this truck earlier in Feb but that was a short visit. This time camping at Mt Moffatt was a good test for 4wd. We covered all the tracks there except a 4km section which had lots of low branches. That was expected.

You have made me jealous :) ,thanks for the toilet feedback also .
What do you have in mind for the front suspension?

A healthy jealousy gives good incentive :sombrero:
Regarding front suspensions, I am going for the solution which Aussie Iron (Dan) has tested and proven. Leaves will be replaced with slightly longer version (about 25mm) from the stock so shackle is leaning slightly outside rather than stock's straight up position. This design soften the ride as they move easily than stock which needs good hit before they can move. The shocks will be also changed to adjustable ones to control the ride comfort further.
Cheers

Bris31

Adventurer
Wind deflector & wheel arch flair

A simple DIY wind deflector made of alu angles and ACM panel fitted but yet to be tested for head wind drag and fuel efficiency.

Any suggestion on covering the side given this design - will it help reducing the drag?

Front wheel arch flairs fitted after copying the idea from Dan's truck :)

Attachments

• WD1.jpg
    WD1.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 47
  • WD2.jpg
    WD2.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 44
  • WD3.jpg
    WD3.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 45
  • wd4.jpg
    wd4.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Wheel-Flair1.jpg
    Wheel-Flair1.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 62

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Looks like a perfect place for a solar panel. :)

No matter what you do, making a brick aerodynamic is a challenge.

Amesz00

Adventurer
Looks like a perfect place for a solar panel. :)

No matter what you do, making a brick aerodynamic is a challenge.

I would have thought having a solar panel there semi-forward facing would be begging to have it smashed by a branch?
Pretty much anything from mid windscreen up gets absolutely hammered almost every time I go bush... Not that I'm not careful with it, but if you wanna take a truck bush..

Bris31

Adventurer
Watt Meter, Volt Ammeter Amp Analyzer

I saw somewhere on this website about using this Watt Meter in between solar panels and MPPT controller but now I can't find it.
Question, does it need external shunt? I asked but the vendor was not sure.
Watt Meter

Bris31

Adventurer
It has a built in shunt and simply goes in series with the load you wish to measure.

Thanks Owen.

My feeling for shunts is these are bit heavier than what they look like but this unit is comparatively lighter when hold in hand, so had doubt it would have built in shunt.

Cheers

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
There are at least two basic versions of these watt meters; the inline ones and the ones that require an external shunt. The ones that have a positive and negative wire coming out each side are the inline version.
I have both of these and actually prefer the one that uses a shunt, as I find that it is easier to wire up. With these it is very easy to connect the shunt to a buss bar, whereas adding the inline ones into a circuit can be a bit more of a pain.

Bris31

Adventurer
Wind Deflector

Update on Wind deflector

After putting up the wind deflector and 2 short trips (200 - 400km each) mostly on sealed roads, I noticed 2 main advantages:

1) Those big road trains/trucks coming from front doesn't hit my truck much by that massive wind blast anymore. It is amazing that this simple little structure will make that much difference.

2) Fuel consumption:
Before: 19 - 20 Liters/100km
After - 17.2 to 18 liters/100km
I tend to keep max speed of 85km/h (2500 RPM) on bitu.

And the third one, truck looks sleek :sombrero:

Attachments

• Wind-Deflector.jpg
    Wind-Deflector.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 64
  • LeslieLake2.jpg
    LeslieLake2.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 80

Bris31

Adventurer
Build me one? :) How is it attached to the roof?

Hi Shannon, after you have build your truck, this small structure is piece of cake :)

The feet are made from steel angle and bolted to 8 holes on the roof (4 each side). Isuzu too should have them for same purpose. 10mm rubber strip under the feet for cushioning. And Alu angle for the frame. The panels are (3mm) ACM , the one you used for your overhead drawer covers (great idea btw!!). And the corner strip is U channel auto weather strip from Clarks. Total cost about $120. BTW I tried to curve/bend the front panel to the side but it is too brittle. May be another brand ACM can be.

But Shannon once you install it, then you can't stand on your cab roof top anymore :sombrero:

Attachments

• WD-Base.jpg
    WD-Base.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 38
  • WD2.jpg
    WD2.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 38
  • WD1.jpg
    WD1.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Wind-Deflector.jpg
    Wind-Deflector.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 38

Bris31

Adventurer
Christening of FoxRoo

Finally on an auspicious trip to Richmond National Park in NSW, it was christened FoxRoo
And tee up with an Earth Cruiser

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 65
  • FoxRoo.jpg
    FoxRoo.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 63

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member