Hi All,
looking to get a well maintained 2005 to 2009 G-wagon private party sale

Please PM.
miksem
at hotmail

Thanks Mike (Boston, MA)

ILIAN

Adventurer
You plan on wheeling it? If so let me know if you end up buying one. I would suggest you look into buying a pre MBUSA version.

miksem

while doing my research .... pre-MBUSA cars can easily go for as much as 2002-2005 mbusa cars and plus I need a little bit of usa luxury for every day use.

I'm planning to use it for Canada/Alaska trips..... since I dont have G-wagon yet most likely will take my 328gt for a ride this August ( actually looking for a company).

You plan on wheeling it? If so let me know if you end up buying one. I would suggest you look into buying a pre MBUSA version.

otiswesty

Regular guy
I need a little bit of usa luxury for every day use.
Yup, the 2002+ cup holders are really nice. The pre2002 front seats are actually a little more comfortable. Engine and trans are pretty much the same.
The USA version will have better parts and service availability. Also better braking and much improved stability on snow and ice covered roads.

It is not a clear cut choice. I was on the fence for a number of years, but now I share Ilian's opinion.

ILIAN

Adventurer
I have 2 nice cup holders in mine in the front, one is as factory looking as it gets. To me it was a no brainer. Sure you are going to buy a car with more miles and it's going to need more work initially but it's going to be better in the long run and more peace of mind in the middle of nowhere. + I like the older style interior better. I plan on heading out north and west too after I have gone through the checklist on my car. Where are you going in August?

miksem

looking thru ebay ... and I found 2003 G55, 3 min walking distance from my place :) - 150K miles Silver/Black (eBay item number:181810778801 )
, not sure if 150K is something to worry about.

Thinking on may be doing Nova Scotia only trip this year , and get ready for next year Labrador trip.

miksem

Diff Issue +

just took a test drive of this G55..... engine looks good, suspension OK nothing pops up / no crazy noises , but I can see when in Park mode that all 3 differential locks are not activating .... when I press #1, 2, 3 all 3 yellow lights are activated and ! warning lamp ON per manual but I dont see top red lights in a few seconds to confirm actual activation, tried moving around and waiting in park for 40-60 seconds, Lowe gear activation just fine with car in N I can see letter changes to L from H
.....any idea if this diff. issue is something potentially very expensive to fix ?

Also right back window not working and constantly open 1/3 way , I can feel that motor engaging but not doing anything and I can only manually pool window up any idea if this is something $$$? One forum mentioned 1000$ parts and labor fix per window - is it true ?

- the only error message in this car - from SOS system not activated ( this car has aftermarket Pioneer with back camera and Bluetooth)

Any good G-Wagon mechanics in Boston, MA area to restore this car to the spec ? Not even sure what would be a good price to offer with all issues around. CarFax shows good maintenance records until 118K miles in GA and Florida until 2012 with total of 3 owners and being leased car at some point + Accident reported Vehicle involved in a rear-end collision with another motor vehicle in Massachusetts in 2013 ......Interior just OK with a lot of broken plastic around air-vents ( I guess they were removing it to install non-original Navigation..... or potentially doing major body work :)..........they are asking 26 what do you think ?

Thanks Mike

ILIAN

Adventurer
The diff lock problem could be the vacuum pump or something else. Check to see if the fluid has been replaced on the diff locks. Transfer case lock is not hydraulic, just vacuum actuated so you seem to have an electrical or vacuum problem with the locks. You can expect window regulator problems with these newer G's and also door lock problems and they can get pretty expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if it costs $1000 at the dealer to replace. If you are not going to do any work yourself on the car get used to this $1000 fixes on the G. It's very important you drive the car in the highway and go at least 75 to make sure you are not going to have vibrations. You are also very likely to have transfer case shifting issues unless both actuating motor and control module have been upgraded to the latest versions. That's why we are recommending you an older G. They don't have any of these problems. I don't know any G mechanics around here. I do all the work myself. When I need a shop lift I go to a local mechanic and provide him with the parts, instructions, my knowledge and help to get it done. 26k sounds too much with the problems you described.

miksem

Thanks Ilian,

how much maintenance do you have with your G ? I dont have time continuously fixing my car, my plan is to find local mechanic and just do initial refurb with my "new car" and maintain it after, I will not be doing more than 4-5K miles a year since this would be my weekend only car. I'm starting to lean towards your opinion, but I have to find one with leather and auto :) at least, I just cant settle to cloth seats with manual , I need something like that - 1999classic.jpg :wings:

Last edited:

NYCRover

Observer
On the Diffs, I've never tried to engage them in park, but most of the time I am in a slow roll. The center diff locks the fastest for me followed by the front. The rear seems to take the longest, but it also needs some slippage in my case to fully engage. Some people even make a slight turn on dirt or grass to cause this slippage to encourage full locking. If this doesnt' work than as Illian suggested it could be a vacuum leak or the pump could be on its way out.

The window regs for a MBUSA G are $1,000 parts + Labor. Expect to replace all four. Also since you are in the northeast, rust is typically an issue with the earlier MBUSA G's due to the usage of a cheaper paint.

One last word on service records- my G came with detailed service records for major items and was a single owner truck. That said, when I brought the car to my mechanic for a once over (Wolfgang's in Tenafly NJ), he found that the original fuel filter was still on the truck after 100k miles, which made me doubt that transmission, diff and locker fluids had ever been changed. So basically, even though all the Service A and Service Bs had been "performed", they weren't exactly dilligent. It's always a good idea to reset the bar with service whenever you get a car with somewhat questionable service history that doesn't seem to have major items like fluid and filter changes, which you would think is fairly basic for a MBUSA dealer...

miksem

Looks like a fair offer for this car should be around 19-20K? to fix a lot of things around: regulators, possible transfer case, diff locks, replace few plastic parts inside, fix few electric glitches , clean few spots of yellow rusty paint ( no actual rust visible but I do see yellowish spots in all "famous" corners ) )and at the endup with 25K solid car ?

On the Diffs, I've never tried to engage them in park, but most of the time I am in a slow roll. The center diff locks the fastest for me followed by the front. The rear seems to take the longest, but it also needs some slippage in my case to fully engage. Some people even make a slight turn on dirt or grass to cause this slippage to encourage full locking. If this doesnt' work than as Illian suggested it could be a vacuum leak or the pump could be on its way out.

The window regs for a MBUSA G are $1,000 parts + Labor. Expect to replace all four. Also since you are in the northeast, rust is typically an issue with the earlier MBUSA G's due to the usage of a cheaper paint.

One last word on service records- my G came with detailed service records for major items and was a single owner truck. That said, when I brought the car to my mechanic for a once over (Wolfgang's in Tenafly NJ), he found that the original fuel filter was still on the truck after 100k miles, which made me doubt that transmission, diff and locker fluids had ever been changed. So basically, even though all the Service A and Service Bs had been "performed", they weren't exactly dilligent. It's always a good idea to reset the bar with service whenever you get a car with somewhat questionable service history that doesn't seem to have major items like fluid and filter changes, which you would think is fairly basic for a MBUSA dealer...

ILIAN

Adventurer
You didn't see the one on ebay I showed you? 99 G500 Has leather and heated seats front and rear and CD changer most likely, also power and heated mirrors. The roof rack, rock sliders and rear ladder are worth about 2500. If the car is in nice shape with fluids changed, no problems and no rust it's a good deal. He said it had never seen winter so it should be clean. Auction ended but reserve not met so it should still be available. Check craigslist it may be listed there too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior