Pot Set

402xjeeper

Observer
Lodge dutch oven, and lodge seasoned steel skillet, and a garage sale stainless steel pot to boil water. The 3 legged dutch oven works on the gas stove or real fire/coals.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Is it thick enough for use on a campfire?

It's not the thickness that worries me, its the coating inside. I'm guessing the higher, sometimes concentrated, heat of a campfire might scortch it. Also, plastic lids. Handy that they have "strainer" functionality, but there are a few reviews where people have had them get soft even on a campstove (perhaps in combo with high output and a windscreen reflecting heat back to the lid).

That said, I like my GSI set for my chuckbox. If I'm going to be doing campfire cooking, there's often a dutch oven in the load anyhow, so that gets used for all fire duty.

It's not the thickness that worries me, its the coating inside. I'm guessing the higher, sometimes concentrated, heat of a campfire might scortch it. Also, plastic lids. Handy that they have "strainer" functionality, but there are a few reviews where people have had them get soft even on a campstove (perhaps in combo with high output and a windscreen reflecting heat back to the lid).

That said, I like my GSI set for my chuckbox. If I'm going to be doing campfire cooking, there's often a dutch oven in the load anyhow, so that gets used for all fire duty.

NEITHER of the pots I listed are plastic. they are both stainless steel.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The Stansport has a higher nickle content and will be slightly more corrosion resistant.

I love my GSI Dutch oven but my GSI Bugaboo cookware didn't last one year of hard use.
It would be nice to feel them both in your hands...

shogun

Adventurer
I'd avoid the GSI like the plague, at least the models you linked. I have a similar set and those handles are absolute junk. No matter how hard you squeeze the clamp they will drop the pot. I just lost breakfast a couple weeks ago to the pot falling off.

Bit the bullet and got the Magma. Used this past weekend they were great. Seem to heat evenly, solid handles, clean easily. Bottom line is they were not an issue at mealtime, which is as much as you can expect from cookware. Only one complaint; the lid knobs are metal and they get hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles