Kenwood Yaesu or ICON

Flingit1200s

I am studying for my license and took a break to look at radios. Dual band appeals to me and I have found the ICON IC-2730A, Yaesu FT7900R and the Kenwood TM-V71A. I plan on having the radio in my Jeep and the primary reason for it is for communication when we ride the trails in Colorado, Arizona and Utah and don't have another rig with us. Right now all we have is some Motorola hand held for Jeep to Jeep communication. Obviously I am totally new at this so any suggestions are welcome. I'll also be looking for some type of antenna to mount on the front fender so any suggestions would be welcome. Please let me know the good and bad of the above three radios as well. Thanks!

John

gary in ohio

Explorer
If you stick with a new Icom, Yaesu, or kenwood any model you select will be fine. Each model has its own advantages, disadvantages and quirks. Pick the one that meets your price point and go. as for antennas. google vehicle ham antenna and youw ill see lots of options.

BettysNephew

I am also a new ham and decided to go with the Icom 2730A. My Elmer suggested Icom as he thought the programming was a bit less confusing than Yaesu from his experience. Other folks recommended the Kenwood for the same reason. I am sure the Yaesu is a fine radio but chose to reduce the frustration level on my first radio. Another thing that brought the Icom to the top was being able to plug the mic into either the head unit or the radio body as I was not sure which would be the best choice for my install. Also I thought the Icom looked better with the interior of my truck. Not a big deal but it did affect my purchase. I am happy with my choice. Good luck on your purchase decision.

Last edited:

whatevah

Observer
I had a Kenwood V71 for 8 months or so until I upgraded to the D710 (I run APRS). Great radio and the remote head can be placed about anywhere with the extension kit. I had the head mount above the rearview mirror in my Jeep. As for programming, check out CHIRP... it's a great free program that handles a bunch of popular mobile and handheld radios. I see the Yaesu radio on the list, but not that specific Icom (but I bet it'll still work). I do like the in-radio programming interface on the Kenwood, though.

Mtn Mike

Observer
Yep, each of the "big three" ham radio brands make excellent radios. You can't go wrong. The bigger decision is what bands do you want (2m, 70cm, 6m, HF, or some combination thereof), and what features do you need. That 2730 looks like a really nice radio and would be perfect for a mobile instillation for use in the back country. Don't forget to research your antenna choice. Your antenna choice is probably more important than your radio choice in terms of hearing and receiving people in remote locations. Welcome to the hobby!

Flingit1200s

Thanks all. I am leaning a bit toward the ICON but don't plan to purchase anything until I pass the test. For right now I am just looking to use the 2m and 70cm bands. My son in law said at dinner last night that he would be willing to take the tech test as well. He and his wife Jeep with us a few times a year. If he passes his test, I may buy a HT as well that he can borrow. I've also been searching for antennas. The jeep either has a soft top or fiberglass top on it so I think my best location for an antenna will be on the fender. We get brushed with bushes and tree branches a lot so I'd prefer something with a spring and not very much taller than the roof line. Any suggestions?

Mtn Mike

Observer
Thanks all. I am leaning a bit toward the ICON but don't plan to purchase anything until I pass the test. For right now I am just looking to use the 2m and 70cm bands. My son in law said at dinner last night that he would be willing to take the tech test as well. He and his wife Jeep with us a few times a year. If he passes his test, I may buy a HT as well that he can borrow. I've also been searching for antennas. The jeep either has a soft top or fiberglass top on it so I think my best location for an antenna will be on the fender. We get brushed with bushes and tree branches a lot so I'd prefer something with a spring and not very much taller than the roof line. Any suggestions?

This is a discussion that fill a fill up a whole book or webpage. You could spend a lifetime in search of the perfect antenna! Generally you want to mount your antenna on flat metal surface to create a ground plane or counterpoise. A lot of dual band (2m/70cm) antennas are naturally flexible so you might not need a spring. Here are two of the dual band antennas I use and I like them in general.
http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-000565
http://www.diamondantenna.net/nr770hnmo.html

Flingit1200s

Thanks for the replies! I definitely have a lot to learn and I am not expecting to find the "perfect" radio, antenna, etc. The Jeep JK is not a great platform for ground plain and then when you factor in things on the trails that want to rip off antennas......... There are so many options that it is confusing and overwhelming and I appreciate all of you who have shared what you like equipment wise.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Around here the Friends of the Rubicon frequently put on classes and do a group buy on the yaesu ft-8800 and ft-60 so you'll find a lot people running those on the trails. Comes in handy if you forget how to do something. Anything like that in your area?

sdnative

Adventurer
The Kenwood TM-V71A is comparable to the Yaesu FT-8800R, and is a step above the FT-7900R. You can also check out the Yeasu FTM-D400R if bells and whistles are your thing (not mine). They are $500 right now after a $100 rebate.

I would like to get the new Kenwood D710G, but it's hard to justify the price tag unless you really need the built in GPS and TNC.

Right now I am waiting for a good price on a new or used Yaesu FT-8800R or Kenwood TM-V71A (under $300 maybe?)

rabbiporkchop

Adventurer
I am studying for my license and took a break to look at radios. Dual band appeals to me and I have found the ICON IC-2730A, Yaesu FT7900R and the Kenwood TM-V71A. I plan on having the radio in my Jeep and the primary reason for it is for communication when we ride the trails in Colorado, Arizona and Utah and don't have another rig with us. Right now all we have is some Motorola hand held for Jeep to Jeep communication. Obviously I am totally new at this so any suggestions are welcome. I'll also be looking for some type of antenna to mount on the front fender so any suggestions would be welcome. Please let me know the good and bad of the above three radios as well. Thanks!

John

They are all decent rigs with plenty of potential. My tech can tune them all to a minumum detectable signal of -125 to -167 db which is pretty unheard of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke