SUV tents

Zeiderman

Adventurer
Looking at pricing of RTT's, they are a little out of my range, also really not interested in hauling a trailer. Any thoughts on SUV tents that attach to the back, have seen a couple primary manufacturers out there, that total maybe (4), does any one use these and have any reviews, will be sleeping in the back of the XJ, but would like some more covered area that the dog can sleep in and store gear in. Mostly interested in the US located market.

Not necessarily this brand, merely an example

http://www.brookstone.com/rightline-gear-suv-tent-1?bkeid=compare%7cmercent%7cgooglebaseads%7csearch&mr:trackingCode=46D1691E-3E11-E511-AF6F-001B21A69EB0&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_with_promotiononline&mr:ad=66933135684&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=51320962143&gclid=CMCeufi38cYCFQxqfgodFpsOOg

Thank you.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have one. It is actually a great tent. If you don't want to attach it, the sleeve zips off and it is a normal dome tent.

Goods

We could change and then climb in without leaving the tent. This was huge during bad weather
When we left for the day we threw our bedding and stuff in the tent and took off

Bads

It is a tent so when it was wet it was a pain to pack up.
You have to wait for the exhaust to cool
Each day everything came out of the vehicle and we had to unhook if we were going anywhere

I currently have a J30, but that is because I like the idea of the vehicle platform that is up and gone in a couple of minutes. I still have the tent and we recently used for longer stays. All in all it is a tent, it just has the convenience of allowing you climb into the vehicle without going outside. If that is worth the money to you I say go for it.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I have an RTT(TEPUI).trailer/two "Airtents and a Nissan "Hatch" tent that attaches to the rear of any SUV-

I have one. It is actually a great tent. If you don't want to attach it, the sleeve zips off and it is a normal dome tent.

Goods

We could change and then climb in without leaving the tent. This was huge during bad weather
When we left for the day we threw our bedding and stuff in the tent and took off

Bads

It is a tent so when it was wet it was a pain to pack up.
You have to wait for the exhaust to cool
Each day everything came out of the vehicle and we had to unhook if we were going anywhere

I currently have a J30, but that is because I like the idea of the vehicle platform that is up and gone in a couple of minutes. I still have the tent and we recently used for longer stays. All in all it is a tent, it just has the convenience of allowing you climb into the vehicle without going outside. If that is worth the money to you I say go for it.

I've used the "Hatch" tent when in known bear contry and have been able to go from the hatch tent into my jeep for locked security-

Sawmillllakejune12020.jpg

It's 10'x10'x10' and very adjustable/strong/w rain fly-cost 9 years ago, was $290 bucks--still use it now and then-

Lotta choices-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Zeiderman

Adventurer
except for a few discontinued tents, they are typically flimsy, quality is low (i.e fiberglass nad plastic poles over metal, thin material) compared to an equally priced stand alone tent.
I understand that, the one's I have looked at do look somewhat "cheap", I'm just of the age and climate area that I'm not about sleeping on the ground anymore.

Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Lizella Fella

SUV tent

I have one. Never camped in it but I did put it up for fitment and inspection. Before camping season could come around, I decided to go in a different direction. It is the Napier Sportsz model 84000. It's huge and hooks up to my Toyota Tacoma with a fiberglass shell easily. As was mentioned previously, you can go from an elevated, more secure sleeping area to an open floor and not have to fight for space. Mine has an screen and solid flap that separates the vehicle from the tent area, an additional room on the left side that can be zipped off, and a awning that extends off the back. The fabric seems of good quality and the poles very durable. I believe the dimensions of the main floor are 10X10, so its got plenty of room. Best of all, it's for sale!! $250 cash, local pick up only. Its too big and bulky to ship and me still recoup some of my cash. I paid right at $400 with shipping, a year ago. I'll even through in a couple of Coleman white gas lanterns and a Coleman stove.

TENT_2_.jpgTENT4.jpgTENT6.jpgTENT8.jpg

Xbcasey

Adventurer
I have the Napier Sportz 82000. It's a great tent an surprisingly good quality, it's definitely no cheap Walmart tent. I hook mine to the back of my trailer, we use the tent as the living area and sleep in the trailer, it's a world of difference from sleeping on the ground. It has worked out great for us and has been through a couple decent rain storms without issue. One major benefit in wet weather, is that I can pack up the trailer from inside the tent nice and dry. Then pull the poles down, throw the tent in the back of the trailer and get in the jeep to hit the road. Since you have to setup and dry out a wet tent when you get home anyways, there is no need to take a bunch of time to fold it up and put in the bag while getting rained on. I can pull the stakes, pop the poles out and shove the tent in the back of the trailer in just a minute or two

a3b7d1e873e1cdc86c963cccef4fc240.jpg

fbb1536677d26965c86f7284c7e0b0a7.jpg

5e6af751b3acb37a8cba3248a8e6f575.jpg

Last edited:

Zeiderman

Adventurer
Thank you all for the replies, I have been leaning towards a Napier, seem to get fairly good reviews. Lizella Fella, sent you a PM.

RKRatto

The Napier 84000 is an awesome tent, just bought one after doing three months of research. You can not go wrong!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne