Structural Foam

fog cutter

Adventurer
anyone injected structural/ pillar foam in their van ribs? i could see this as a good way to add a little lightweight mass & rigidity without breaking the bank. additional value if the rig is ever turned into a hightop.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
It's been done on several Sprinter conversions. You can check on the Sprinter Source forum to find examples.

i can tell you, though, that I think the general consensus is that it's kinda of a pain with some disadvantages, not the least of which is that it's absolutely permanent. A common competitor, in Sprinterdom anyway, seems to be Thinsulate batts, which have decent insulation abilities and no obvious downside beyond cost. You might want to look here for a pretty detailed review/argument about the issue:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22278

and there's more here:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30422

Good luck.

fog cutter

Adventurer
good links; thanks. after much cogitation and staring at the inside of my van, i have to agree it would be an irreversible/ bugger of a job to foam the ribs.

i've been chasing the 3M thinsulate goblin all week. their website doesn't list it under auto components, and 3 calls to customer service made me realize just how many products they make and no one could get me the information i sought.

finally on thursday, i connected with a representative who gave me the supplier's name that would retail fairly small quantities (200 sq. ft. +/-). he is also sending me samples. when i get the samples i'll place my order. i'll just use a pull wire as suggested by Hein in the Sprinter links to pull thinsulate into the ribs. i only plan to use dynamax 30% coverage against the body panels and somehow get the insulation to stay in place until the wall lining is in place. this might change, but i don't want to spray adhese the thinsulate.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a good plan. BTW! I'm not saying that it'll work right--never tried it--but they make squares of the removable adhesive (think Post-It Note glue) and they might be strong enough to hold Thinsulate in position until the panels go up. It'd only cost a couple of dollars to see if they're strong enough.

riccasey

Unless I'm missing something about this application, Thinsulate that I know of can be found at fabric stores. Try Rockywoods.com, OWFin.com - Google will bring back many more. Primaloft insulation is a far better material IMO. Again try. 'primaloft fabric stores' 'primaloft sewing projects' etc.

fog cutter

Adventurer
thank you for the Rockywoods link. i've never heard of Primaloft but it does bear some investigation. thanks again.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Get your thinsulate from a fabric store, not an automotive specialty shop, it will be a lot cheaper. likewise, fabric / craft stores have occasional steep coupon sales, especially now approaching the holidays. 20-50% off.
Joannes. Michaels Crafts & Hobbies.

Hmm I may give a try to lining my Suburban's ceiling with the stuff. Have to open it in the near future to do a bunch of wiring, anyway. Be a perfect time to try it. 4yds, 50" wide, be less than $50. Some 3M M77 spray adhesive ought to work. Maybe. Long enough to put the semi-rigid liner back up, anyway. Or better yet coat the top side of the liner itself with it, instead of the metal skin.

Last edited:

fog cutter

Adventurer
and to my somewhat embarrassment, late yesterday the big brown truck pulled up with a HUGE box marked 3M. inside was my thinsulate sample - a 60" x 5 yard bolt marked "thinsulate sample" on the center cardboard. i expected a 6" x 6" piece for a sample. so now i have enough for the ceiling & cab headliner, too.

some days a diamond, others a stone ...

Jessica1987

and to my somewhat embarrassment, late yesterday the big brown truck pulled up with a HUGE box marked 3M. inside was my thinsulate sample - a 60" x 5 yard bolt marked "thinsulate sample" on the center cardboard. i expected a 6" x 6" piece for a sample. so now i have enough for the ceiling & cab headliner, too.

some days a diamond, others a stone ...

You got more than what you bit off haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles