Battery choices for a FWC 2015 Flatbed Hawk

Durango

Adventurer
So Sioux and I went through the optioning process for our new Hawk. Denny Saunders up in Jackson was very patient but I bogged down on batteries. (I am far from an electrician and get overwhelmed easily.)

Finally we jointly agreed to "kick the can down the road" by ordering the two battery set up from the factory but Denny saying he will credit us for the two batteries if we find something we like better between now and October. (Thanks, Denny!)

So what would you folks do? We don't have solar now on our 2012 slide-in Hawk and our two factory AGM batteries have never let us down yet. We have ordered the new Hawk with the 110 liter AC/DC fridge and the forced air furnace. We move our truck at least every couple of days. And we don't have solar ordered from the factory for the FB Hawk either but will add it later. (More can-kicking going on here!)

So as I see it we can:

1. Stay with the double battery option we've already specced from the factory. They are two Exide group 24, 75 amp FP-AGM24DB batteries. OR...

2. Denny mentioned that given that the battery compartment on the Flat Bed model is vented to and accessible from the outside we could go with two 6 volt golf cart batteries. I know Solar Bob rhapsodizes about Crown batteries and they do have a CR235 model with a 235 amp capacity. (Or some say just go to Sam's Club and pick up two of their golf cart batteries.)

NOTE: Two of the above CR235's would easily fit in the battery compartment which is 22.5 deep X 11.0 wide X 14.5 tall. (I would install a slide-out battery tray to ease maintenance.)

So Mr. OCD here doesn't want to over-analyze things but I'd also like the best performance possible. So that is your blank group slate. What would you all do? (Including any options I haven't listed above.)

BTW, I do plan to install a Tri-metric 2030-RV battery monitor so I can get even more compulsive over things. And thanks in advance for your advice and help!

Steve

Joe917

Explorer
Golf cart. done.
The only advantage of AGM is they can be inverted without spilling and they have a slightly lower internal resistance so can take higher charging amperages. What most people don't understand is this is only a factor when the battery is deeply discharged or your truck is upside down.

Durango

Adventurer
Thanks, Joe. Is the big advantage of the "wet" golf cart batteries only their lower initial cost or are there other benefits? (for both charging with the truck alternator or my eventual solar panels.)

barkerco

I installed my battery bank in a compartment below my flatbed. 315Ah bank, using the 440A alternators for charging, CTEK DC-DC chargers. BlueSea SoC monitor.

Attachments

• bark_electrical.jpg
    bark_electrical.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 26

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior