Propane and tongue box for trailer

jwilson2598

Adventurer
So I've done some reading, but hadn't come to a consensus, so I'm reaching out to the experts with a couple questions about outfitting my Manley ORV

1. Is there a mount for a 20pound tank, or am I barking up the wrong tree and should do a smaller tank? I thought it might be able to exchange a tank as needed rather than having fill, but I wasn't sure how fast it goes on trips. Right now I have a 20k BTU grill, and might add a shower setup to keep the Mrs. happy.

2. Any suggestions on tongue box? I'm looking to setup a battery and outlets for 12V, possibly an inverter if I get feeling froggy. I converted the Jeep over to 7 wire to use for maintenance charge (which I gather lots of good info from here already), so I'm looking to use it to run my fridge and maybe charge some devices overnight on trips.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Thought about building one? That's next up on my list for my camper build. I, like you, want a 20lb tank for ease of just doing an exchange. It is also cheaper (for me) to buy a full 20lb tank than it is to buy a 11lb tank empty.

jwilson2598

Adventurer
I hadn't thought about building one, but I guess I could. Fabrication isn't always my strongest suit, and having a propane tank come loose on the highway might be a bad thing, lol. I guess I could start with something like a camper RV mount and see if it can be modified or adapter to this purpose.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
Here's another style.

41g69N52jZL._SY355_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carlson-2020JR-Bottle-Rack/dp/B003VAUQFA

jwilson2598

Adventurer
Thanks for the ideas, I think one of those will work for sure. Now how about tongue boxes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
That harbor freight tongue box is a great deal. I went with a Dee Zee plastic tongue box, about the same size but lighter. Not as secure mind you, but then again locks only keep out the honest people right?

I had a buddy make me up a custom aluminum 11# propane bottle mount. They are not always the easiest size to find (Home Depot sells them online) but they are small and more portable than the big 20# units.

You can buy similar tank mounts online for around $120.00 (http://www.amazon.com/BKT-2286-Mounting-Worthington-Manchester-diameter/dp/B00OCDRB94).

The Dee Zee is a good fit on lots of the smaller 1/4 ton trailers.

Don't mind the laundry... lol.

harv3589

Adventurer
Here is how I did mine...just made up one that welded in between the baskets for my gas and water cans. Sits behind the DeeZee tongue box. I used some rubber and glued it with construction PL around the inside so the tank doesn't move or rub on metal.

380c0c53d85b9c42b571f11cde8c18a2.jpg

38c1689db0b4b3b3b07f16fe499ec63c.jpg

647668289b905f0c9c745e06d9fbe63a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dstock

Explorer
I want to mount 2 full size tanks to the front of my M101a1. They currently ride in the bed in milkcrates but I'd rather have them on the front outer wall of the bed on either side of the tongue box. I'm torn between the couple of mounts above as the first one looks beefy but has no bottom support, the less one looks less beefy but has a hook to support the bottom. Ideally, something that locks would be great.

And before anyone says 2 full size tanks?? We have a campfire in a can, propane stove, propane BBQ and propane lantern and you'd be surprised how fast you burn through a tank when the weather gets chilly morning, noon and night!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94