LR3 shopping - ask the pros

LandCruiserX

Observer
Alright guys, been a die hard Yota guy since I can remember. Finally looking to get my first Rover.

Right off the bat...

1) what kind of wear and tear can these things take, and will daily driving take much of a toll?

2) What kind of miles is OK to pick up a used 06-09 at, and what is a reasonable life expectancy?

3) Any years better than others, or some years/versions to generally stay away from?

4) Any other pertinent Rover newbie / shopping info, please share.

Lastly, based on what I have been looking at I have a little scenario... a which do I buy of sorts...

Rover #1

2006 LR3 SE
** $15,000 **
59k Miles
2 owners

- Not too well documented, decent service history (dealer serviced at 10k intervals or so), minor wreck involving left side impact.

Rover #2

2006 LR3 SE
** $22,000 **
39k Miles
1 Owner

- Owner leased from Jag/Rover dealer for 11k miles, then purchased from same dealer. Later traded vehicle in towards an LR4. Excellent records, low mileage, you name it. But, $$$

You go with #1 and save the $ or take #2 and the peace of mind?

Thanks in advance, lots to learn on here!

LandCruiserX

Observer
What packages does LR3 #1 and Lr3 #2 have?

#1, I am not too sure, I know its an SE but further than that not sure. Have contacted owner and will probably hear back shortly.

http://www.mungenastlexusofstlouis.com/details/2006-Land-Rover-LR3-Manchester-MO/6893972?cid=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&mmt=[ROV[LR3[]][]]&listingId=404765906&Log=0

Dont know if all the parts being replaced is good, or means it slipped through the cracks in the first place... seems odd with such low mileage.

Last edited:

LandCruiserX

Observer
Regardless of what I get, its going to end up with the typical treatment. Lift, tires, bumper, racks, etc. Not going to see the worst trails, but its going to get used.

Ray_G

Explorer
Alright guys, been a die hard Yota guy since I can remember. Finally looking to get my first Rover.

Right off the bat...

1) what kind of wear and tear can these things take, and will daily driving take much of a toll? They take wear and tear fairly well so long as you have mechanical sympathy and maintain them, they are HEAVY so they tend to eat tires, brakes, control arms and the like but these are really considered consumables for an LR3/4. By that I mean tires may last 30-45k depending which type you get and usage of course. Brakes, well, that depends on how fast you go of course :) Personal opinion is daily driving is no big deal b/c they like to be run, especially if you actually drive vice sit in traffic. Rovers hate sitting

2) What kind of miles is OK to pick up a used 06-09 at, and what is a reasonable life expectancy? I'd suggest 60-100k as your threshold, epecially given your 2 scenarios that appears to be where you are or better. 60k will be where you see the control arms most likely needing replacement (or sooner) and by 90k or at the age of an 06/07 now the compressor will likely need a rebuild/replacement for the EAS.

3) Any years better than others, or some years/versions to generally stay away from? Some say the 05's had teething problems, others on here have had 05's with no issues. Documented history is usually the best guide with these and anyway you slice it the LR3 is a light years better platform than the Disco II/P38 era of Rover. Version wise is relative since there were a lot of dealer options to add into the basic specs throughout the years in addition to SE, HSE, LUX lines. Many here would encourage seeking out the HD package b/c it has the factory rear locker (and full size spare). For me my priorities were V8, black interior, 7 seater, HID, cold wx, and I was glad when I found an SE that had that & the 18" wheels-I wasn't worried about the locker. What I regret is the lack of ipod integration that isn't easy to retrofit, but that's a small matter.

4) Any other pertinent Rover newbie / shopping info, please share. You seem to know what to look for already: maintenance history...that's the biggest driver in having a good initial experience vs a bad, IMHO.

Lastly, based on what I have been looking at I have a little scenario... a which do I buy of sorts...

Of those two I'd haggle over the $22k price on the #2. The very low miles is encouraging, but the age of the LR3 allows you to bargain I would hope even though its a dealership sale. It also has the black interior which as I mentioned I think looks better/lasts better, 18" wheels (though #1 does too). Doesn't appear to be a 7 seater I don't think but that may/may not be important for you.

Past that, as you dive in there is a lot of great info here on ExpO, I also frequent www.disco3.uk for great advice and a lot of ideas. AULRO is a good resource too.
Good luck on the hunt!
r-
Ray

LandCruiserX

Observer
Of those two I'd haggle over the $22k price on the #2. The very low miles is encouraging, but the age of the LR3 allows you to bargain I would hope even though its a dealership sale. It also has the black interior which as I mentioned I think looks better/lasts better, 18" wheels (though #1 does too). Doesn't appear to be a 7 seater I don't think but that may/may not be important for you.

Past that, as you dive in there is a lot of great info here on ExpO, I also frequent www.disco3.uk for great advice and a lot of ideas. AULRO is a good resource too.
Good luck on the hunt!
r-
Ray

Wow. Awesome response, appreciate the time Ray.

Right or wrong, I have gone the used route a few times in the past with other vehicles and just feel like finding a used LR at a dealer is the right route this time. Since maintenance is key with these, I kinda like the idea of really having it looked over prior to purchase and being able to gather as much info as possible. With individual sellers you just never really know, I have learned that the hard way unfortunately.

The higher priced #2 really intrigues me, primarily because it was leased, purchased, and then traded in to the same dealership. Every single ding and service is on file.

Ray_G

Explorer
Wow. Awesome response, appreciate the time Ray.

Right or wrong, I have gone the used route a few times in the past with other vehicles and just feel like finding a used LR at a dealer is the right route this time. Since maintenance is key with these, I kinda like the idea of really having it looked over prior to purchase and being able to gather as much info as possible. With individual sellers you just never really know, I have learned that the hard way unfortunately.

The higher priced #2 really intrigues me, primarily because it was leased, purchased, and then traded in to the same dealership. Every single ding and service is on file.

So on the balance I would agree wholeheartedly with you about getting a used LR from a (reputable) dealership. My LR3 was picked up more/less from a wholesale lot and while I got it fairly cheap, I subsequently paid for it fixing things that a different pedigree truck may not have had. You may want to seek out an extended warranty just in case, it may make the inital 'joy' of owning a Rover a bit easier to stomach if something big happens. The nice thing about Rover #2 in your choices is exactly what you hit on-though a dealer is still a dealer you have to believe you are starting out with a good candidate and the low miles is definitely nice.

Keep us posted with how your process goes, I love living vicariously since my projects now are small things vice big ones!
r-
Ray

jpc1818

Adventurer
I have an 06 lr3 HSE HD. I have to agree with most on here, maintenance is key. Mileage doesn't scare me though..
You should also look at the front tires, the a-arm oem bushings go and need to be replace. If they were not, the front tires with ware unevenly.

LandCruiserX

Observer
Thanks for the replies guys. Are these known to have any major engine / driveline issues or is the drivetrain in general pretty solid?

Not sure if anyone noticed but in the description for #2 It says:

"$7000 in the shop reconditioning for next owner! Front and rear differentials replaced, inner and outer tie rods on both sides with 4 wheel alignment, 45K service including brake fluid flush and interior cabin air filter. Alloy wheels refinished, PDR on a door ding, interior reconditioning, full interior/exterior detail too."

Should both front and rear diffs needing replaced at 39k miles be concerning, or would that make it an even better buy?

LandCruiserX

Observer
Also stumbled across this one yesterday, low low miles, and its a 2008... But again a bit more $

http://www.silverlineautomotive.com...lr3-hse-suv-d18a85695f7a4ddf9e44e85faf753ade/

Where does the cost / benefit of getting a lower mileage Rover begin to diminish? For instance, is the extra 10k worth it vs. a clean 06 with 50-60k on the clock?

Going to look for another couple weeks before I pull the trigger, selling my truck at the moment too... so no rush here

NickH

Observer
The 1st one looks pretty stripped down. The 2nd one looks pretty good and has a lot of packages. I don't think there was a heated steering wheels in 06 though. You can ask them about providing the 7g of repairs that were done. The price seems to be a bit high though.

#1, I am not too sure, I know its an SE but further than that not sure. Have contacted owner and will probably hear back shortly.

http://www.mungenastlexusofstlouis.com/details/2006-Land-Rover-LR3-Manchester-MO/6893972?cid=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&mmt=[ROV[LR3[]][]]&listingId=404765906&Log=0

Dont know if all the parts being replaced is good, or means it slipped through the cracks in the first place... seems odd with such low mileage.

LandCruiserX

Observer
The 1st one looks pretty stripped down. The 2nd one looks pretty good and has a lot of packages. I don't think there was a heated steering wheels in 06 though. You can ask them about providing the 7g of repairs that were done. The price seems to be a bit high though.

What would you feel comfortable with paying for #2 Nick, or what should one in that apparent condition and mileage go for?

I spent the last nearly 8 years in a lifted, no frills 96 FZJ80 Cruiser.... so hell, as long as the AC in this thing works and it gets from point A to point B I am happy. Especially for the nearly 8k difference between #1 and #2.... thats a lot of mods, work, or fuel...

NickH

Observer
A few weeks ago, I paid 14,400 for an 06 SE with HIDs, Nav, and HD package, with 85k miles. I do not have the cold weather package. My lower control bushings were replaced and a 4 corner air bags. I was searching nation wide for rigs and found one in my mileage and price range with HD (most important to me). I did not buy mine from a rover dealer, but the ones I saw from a rover dealer when priced to sell, a few grand more, went quick, a mater of days. Mine is not perfect, but perfect for me.

The #2 rig is low mileage and if they did put 7g into it, I'm not sure they are going to want to wheel and deal with it. But, I would think if you can get #2 under 20, you would be doing ok.

Ray_G

Explorer
Thanks for the replies guys. Are these known to have any major engine / driveline issues or is the drivetrain in general pretty solid?

Not sure if anyone noticed but in the description for #2 It says:

"$7000 in the shop reconditioning for next owner! Front and rear differentials replaced, inner and outer tie rods on both sides with 4 wheel alignment, 45K service including brake fluid flush and interior cabin air filter. Alloy wheels refinished, PDR on a door ding, interior reconditioning, full interior/exterior detail too."

Should both front and rear diffs needing replaced at 39k miles be concerning, or would that make it an even better buy?

So there have been some reported issues with the LR3's differentials. The rest of the drivetrain, engine/transmission in particular, seem to be rather robust by Land Rover standards (hence my initial comment about light years beyond the Disco II/P38 era). The difs seem to have some problems for some people, difficult to actually get metrics on it b/c the internet tends to draw out a lot of 'my difs are whining, the dealer wants to replace, it's $$$!' threads but nobody posts 'I drove my truck past 100k today and there is nothing to talk about'.

Doesn't mean that the truck #2 didn't need new difs but here's a sceptics view of things; that truck was clearly a dealership baby. Good for a prospective owner that can get the dealership to come off with it, likely bad for the previous owner's wallet if they were paying attention to such things. A lot of folks who buy these things new or fairly new for the prestige are also not mechanically inclined so when an issue comes up they roll into the dealership, and-no offense to dealerships necessarily intended-but if you ask for a service department to provide service, they do. Could the truck have genuinely needed new difs? Maybe, but based off its miles/apperance/etc it certainly wasn't b/c it was being rode hard and put away wet day in/day out.

I think the toughest thing for you is that a dealer isn't going to want to haggle too much, much like some owners that do a lot of modifications and want the next buyer to pay for the going rate, the dealer will point to the service that had been done and say you should pay for that investment. Will be interesting to see how long that truck stays on the lot. Can't hurt to offer ~$19k and let them freak out about the 'lowball'
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles