LR3 shopping - ask the pros

Ray_G

Explorer
Like always, excellent info Ray. Going to keep all of that in mind and give the dealer with #2 for sale a call tomorrow.

Did you have a chance to look at this one?

http://www.silverlineautomotive.com...lr3-hse-suv-d18a85695f7a4ddf9e44e85faf753ade/

Again higher priced, but also an HSE and a 2008. Thanks again, just trying to make the best call possible.

That is a nice truck! Black on black 7 seater HSE, since it's an 08 you should have some confidence that any early model bugs are long gone-the price reflects that of course but its a damn nice looking truck for sure.
r-
Ray

LandCruiserX

Observer
Thanks Ray, that black does look really clean. My preferred color combo is green with camel interior, but its next to impossible to find one.

The search will continue, and I will update the thread with perspective vehicles, hopefully getting a thumbs up before making a purchase.

LRNAD90

Adventurer
I don't think there was a heated steering wheels in 06 though.

I don't think the heated wheel was available till the LR4, though I've seen threads for guys who retrofitted the headed wheel from a Range Rover Sport to an LR3..

DVD

Adventurer
The difs seem to have some problems for some people, difficult to actually get metrics on it b/c the internet tends to draw out a lot of 'my difs are whining, the dealer wants to replace, it's $$$!' threads but nobody posts 'I drove my truck past 100k today and there is nothing to talk about'.

I drove my 2005 LR3 past 135,000 today, and there is nothing to talk about. (Knock on wood.)
I am the 3rd owner. PO bought it with very low miles and certified with extended warranty, so all the dealer maintenance had been done. All the same, Diffs aren't on the maintenance schedule until 100k or so.
I changed my diff fluids right away (at 90,000). then again a yr later to make sure no cruft had accumulated. Then again another yr later, to make sure the previous time wasn't an aberration (and it's not too difficult). Fluid and magnets looked good, so I'll let it go a couple years before next change.
The drive train has been fine for me.
I also had the powerflush done on the tranny right away. Lots of passionate opinions as to whether powerflush or drain-and-replace-pan is preferable. It's a pain to drain (you have to lift the engine and remove the pan), and the guys on the English Disco3 forum seem to mostly go with powerFlush, and the local indy mechanic recommended powerflush and it's 1/2 the price, so I want that route. It's still smooth and strong. I'm planning for another powerflush within the next 5k or so.
Good luck!

LandCruiserX

Observer
Great info DVD, glad to hear someone with a higher mileage pre owned Rover is sailing right along. I had some major issues (nearly 4k worth) less than a week after I purchased my last truck. No way the prior owner could have known, but it still has made me a bit gun shy.

LandCruiserX

Observer
As far as the LR4 is concerned, any years better than others? Major known problems to look for? What mileage range should I be comfortable with on a well maintained used one? Im looking at a few in the 65-80k mile range

Bama4door

Observer
I was looking at LR3's for the past year, and about 3 months ago went to go test drive an LR4. After that, I never looked back at the LR3's. The interior and the new 5.0 v8/tranny are leaps and bounds better. I just picked up a '10 LR4 with 72k miles out of Georgia.

My best advise is to go test drive one and see what you think...

LandCruiserX

Observer
Bama, thanks for the reply bud. If you dont mind me asking what did you pay / what did you find to be a good price on one? Also have you heard much about any / what kind of issues pop up as you roll over 100k?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke