2004 F-350 supercab. 6.0 diesel.

Pathwacker

Observer
Just traded in was a 2004 f-350 supercab diesel. It's alive and and well with egr delete and cats remove. 6ft 10in bed with 5 speed auto. 4 inch lift with 35" tires. Should I send it to auction or set it up as northstar 850sc rig?
3da372ff97bb4ee43e453f08accc4a09.jpg
501b065194b24089b1488a5fda2128c2.jpg

Thoughts.
It made it to 108k without a problem.

doctorit

Adventurer
Trick question?! The 6.0 is a great engine, and from what good friends say, at 108, it's just barely broken in. I think it would be a perfect truck for an 850SC - let's see it!

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Heck yes that needs an 850SC, I would love to see pics of that. My 2005 F250 is stock height right now, but I really like the looks of it with a 4" lift and 35's, and I was thinking of buying a 650sc for it. I'm looking forward to seeing more from this thread!

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Sorry to sound like and ***, but the 6.0 Powerjoke was the shortest lived diesel in Fords history of not being able to build a decent diesel. I don't know anyone who owns/owned one that hasn't had problems. There is a reason it was replaced after so few years in service. Send it to auction!

Big mike

Adventurer
You don't know what your talking about, I have had a 6.0 since new and have had zero problems . In fact I know several people just like me. Some people just don't know how to drive a diesel.
Do the 850 you won't be sorry. Owned dealerships till I sold a few years ago and we sold these on a regular basis . No issues .
Some folks can screw up the 6.4 also lol.
I love it when people who have never owned something start talking trash. Your a car guy you know what to do!
Mike

murphy744

Adventurer
I hear you can make the 6.0 bullet proof with some mods and $$$$. I owned a 03' 6.0 and just could not keep it out of the shop. I would pass for a 05-07 Dodge 5.9L....my 2 cents

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
You don't know what your talking about, I have had a 6.0 since new and have had zero problems . In fact I know several people just like me. Some people just don't know how to drive a diesel.
Do the 850 you won't be sorry. Owned dealerships till I sold a few years ago and we sold these on a regular basis . No issues .
I love it when people who have never owned something start talking trash. Your a car guy you know what to do!
Mike

As reported in Diesel Power,Ford spent over $550 million dollars on warranty repairs on the 6.0 and that was five years ago. They published an article recommending eight or more fixes for the engine. Ford and Navistar reached a settlement softening the blow for Ford. Glad you had luck but you are one lucky owner.

smlobx

Wanderer
I guess I must the only other guy with a 6.0 without any major issues...

The early versions (03-04) had issues. These were exacerbated by guys wanting to modify or chip the engine which the 6.0 is very sensitive to.
Later years (06-07) were much more durable once again as long as you didn't try to chip it.

I have 135k on my '06 and the only thing I've had done is I had to replace the turbo at about 110. I am a stickler for proper maintenance but that is my OCD kicking in...

Btw the 6.4 was the shortest production run. Basically it was the 6.0 bored out and all the emission junk bolted on to it. It was a dog...

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Mike

I drove Ford diesels as work trucks for years. You really have no idea what YOU are talking about my friend. The Ford diesel motor(s) issues are well documented and burying you head in the sand with your "I'm a Ford guy and they are always best" isn't going to make history different. Try being being less macho and more realistic. If you like fords great, own them, but denying what is well documented just makes you look foolish. I'm a Ram man myself, I buy them because they are Cummins powered. That said, I'm smart enough to know and admit, that the best built US truck, from a quality standpoint, currently is the Chevy/GMC. I prefer the live axle/coil spring suspension and Cummins in the Ram, but the GM product is a better built truck.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Yes you are correct, the 6.4 was the shortest production run, but my understanding was it was a completely new motor. I know the whole turbo assembly at least was different. It had that strange twin impeller turbo with moving vanes if I remember correctly. They were on the lots for something like one month before a total recall for DPF issue if memory serves. Flames out the tail pipe on regen some people said. I really like the ford interiors, but will never own another. Been screwed too many times. Just finished a 3000 mile road trip in Idaho and Montana with something like 700 miles of remote back country dirt roads. The only dead trucks we saw were three Ford diesels.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
The only dead trucks we saw were three Ford diesels.

And they were dead because they were Fords, right? You know their maintenance history, miles, and how well they had been taken care of by all of their owners I'm sure, right?

I've seen equal amounts of different makes and models of trucks on the side of the road. If you beat one to **** and never maintain it, it doesn't matter what make/model or how new/old it is.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
And they were dead because they were Fords, right? You know their maintenance history, miles, and how well they had been taken care of by all of their owners I'm sure, right?

I've seen equal amounts of different makes and models of trucks on the side of the road. If you beat one to **** and never maintain it, it doesn't matter what make/model or how new/old it is.

And in you eyes it's because they were the best, hardest working trucks, and already had a million or more miles on them right? No, I don't know what the history was with them, but I do know they were Fords built within the last couple of model years, and were shiny clean and appeared to not be worn out beat on pieces of ****.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne