Flickering battery, brake, and a/t lights

I bought a 99 montero with winter package about a month ago. Took her out on her first journey to sequoia this weekend. About an hour from home I started to think, great first trip, no problems, and then about 20 min from home the battery, brake, and a/t light started flickering. The battery power showed it was going down. None of them ever stayed lit up, and sometimes it would go away for a minute or two, and when I would be stopped it would all go away and the battery would show over 12v again. I got home and figured I would worry about it today.

Started it this morning. Nothing till a few minutes into my 3 mile commute to work until a few minutes in. Same flickering. I read about some people have trouble with a cam shaft seal leaking into the alternator on montero sports when I googled "montero brake and battery light" nothing about monteros though.

Anyone had this problem? Advice before I dive into it?

TheMole

Adventurer
It's still possible to have oil leak onto the alternator. Have you popped the hood to check? Also might want to check the simple stuff like if the battery terminals are secure.

From what I've seen, there's not really anything over the alternator to leak down onto it, especially with the timing gear guards on. I'd start with the basic stuff like cleaning the battery terminal contacts, checking grounds, checking alternator belt, testing the alternator and battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior