Is This Van Stealthy Enough to Stealth Camp With?

Sagan

$_57.JPG

I was going to park somewhere different every night and park in the same spot maybe only once a month. I figured that hotels and apartment complexes would be the best places since no one could ever really know for sure whether or not I'm just staying for the night (in the case of the hotel) or visiting a friend (in the case of the apartment complex). This van isn't as stealthy as a plain white cargo van, but at the same time it doesn't stand out that bad (in my opinion). Is there anything I could do to make this van more stealthy? I was thinking of getting rid of the stripes and name on the side of the van and just make it completely white. I was also thinking of tinting the back windows as dark as possible (a limo tint).

docdave

Aspiring overlander
...not sure why you want to camp every night, but it's probably ok without the top up.

Sagan

It's mainly so that I don't have to pay rent. I've met a few people in person and seen a lot of people on YouTube who basically live in their camper van.

haven

Expedition Leader
If you don't have a shower at work, membership in a fancy gym is one way to have a place to go to clean up. Worth the money, imo. Better sports clubs will have a lounge with TV and WiFi, and occasional patrols to discourage folks supplementing their income by breaking into parked cars.

I say "fancy" because there are plenty of gyms where using the equipment is risking exchange of bodily fluids. Nicer gyms will keep the place clean.

bdog1

Adventurer
Check "Cheap RV living" forum. Your ideas are much more main stream there. Lots doing what your asking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keyne

Adventurer
You could add a wrap to the van including covering the camper windows (they make a kind of wrap that covers windows but can still be seen through (kind of a perforated look)). The wrap could be "Sagan's Pet Grooming" with fake company name, logo, maybe even contact number... on the front fender you could put a code like "SPG008" (translates to Sagans Pet Grooming van #008) so it looks like a fleet van number.... Given the camper roof, etc. using pet grooming might make sense for how the vehicle could be used in a commercial context... be creative... I see plumbers, landscapers, dry wall, delivery vans, food trucks, food delivery vans on the street all the time and never take a second look. Seeing that on the street no one may notice.

I heard wraps are between $1K and $3k depending on complexity and quality of installation.

adam88

Explorer
Also called "living out of your car" or "homeless"

Made me laugh :)

64bcb8aa9d8661f1a901b72ecc053d2c.jpg

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Come now gents, don't be rude........I'm considering living in a van near my work, rather than paying rent.......my family is 700 miles away and I sort of commute by coach backwards and forwards, currently staying in a company staff house....4 bed house used as company hotel.

But this I'm sure will soon stop as I basicly hog one room...

Rent here for a bed flat is around 800gbp a month.....

So I'm considering stealth camping instead.......I'm 49 years old and own 3 houses outright.........certainly not homeless....

But why waste money on a rental when I can buy a van instead and live in that......we have a shower at work.....Internet reaches the street outside......

Summer wise there's some nice coastal parking spots for the odd weekender, and really I only eat and sleep after work while here.

Van wise I think it's too small for a live in, you'd be better with one you can stand in without having to pop the roof, and likewise the others...really needs to be light proof for the nights and have at least a portaloo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz