Is This Van Stealthy Enough to Stealth Camp With?

wgyouree

KK6LZW
A lot of people do it in the bay area, due to the insane rent. In fact, several of my coworkers do it and just park at the office. Showers in the office and free wifi.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

justbecause

perpetually lost
Its called boondocking, and when you check into a hotel/motel you give them your vehicle info.

if they actually check for unregistered vehicles in the lot is a crap shoot...

I would feel safer about being parked behind a large church. they usually have lighting, and a van isnt that out of place.

also most wal-marts dont do anything to run campers off that arent there long term (at least thats the reports available online) national forests allow single spot camping for up to 7 days without a permit.

I work for a local park and rec and we are in the process of opening an "out door adventure park" almost 200 acres with 7 lakes in the middle of town. (it used to be a gravel pit outside of town, but the pit closed, and flooded, and town grew) once they finalize water and electricity to the property there is a chance I'll sell the house and move my into an RV there. With a wife and brand new miniature human we have scheduled for a mid January arrival.

lqhikers

Adventurer
stealth camping

years ago i had a job that provided hotel/food costs for out of town work.
company also gave choice of $$ instead,since i had a van (vw of course)i told you it was years ago!
i almost always parked in the parking lot at the local hospital never had a problem and since i had to be on job site
early it was convenient because most had coffee shop's and clean bathrooms.

even today when we are on the road and end up in cities we are not familiar with we still will stop if we need to take a sleep break.
hospital's are easy to find as most have highway/freeway signs directing you.

just keep away from residential area's.

Les,lqhikers

Maninga

Adventurer
I've thought about it a few times. Since moving to our new house, we've a 90 minute commute each way, but we bought the house primarily to have a space to work on the truck. Once we finish it off though, fully expect to drive it to Melbourne, find a quiet space to park within walking distance to work and camp down for the week. Have shower/toilet both onboard and at work so keeping clean isn't too much of a problem.

People at work look at me like I'm slightly crazy when I tell them my plans, but they think I'm a little that way anyway.

Anyway, I think the van should be fine, so long as you don't leave rubbish around and keep it clean/not smelly. Showering, toilet and laundry will likely be the biggest things, most people I know ignore a van parked except if something looks out of place. Blockout blinds on the windows, some kind of removable partition wall behind the drivers seats (so they look in, see a blank wall, think it a work van) will do a lot I think.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Stealthy enough depends on the neighborhood. But given your generalized intent (you'd know the area well soon enough), yeah absolutely it is.

Restful nights sleep on the other hand depends upon you. I mean if your going to jump at every bump noise, then no. I for one couldn't do it, I tried napping in a Walmarts lot once & that didn't work at all!

For hospitals, in the US anyways larger ones I've worked at have reasonably keen roving security. A random night would be no problem though I'd imagine. Also remember that Hospitals (in the US) are magnets for "low life's" in society &/or the "friends" whom brought them there...especially at night!

DAV!D

Adventurer
Also called "living out of your car" or "homeless"

It's called vandwelling and many people do it by choice..

Op check out http://reddit.com/r/vandwellers you will find people whom are much more friendly to this lifestyle and not so judge mental and rude.

Btw I vandwell in a 86 Syncro Westy and have little to no problems, but it just depends where you are as to if people will hassle you or not. I tend to go with the idea that my lifestyle shouldn't impose on others so I don't park in front of people's houses or on private land. I tend to have very little problems doing it like this.

Last edited:

wgyouree

KK6LZW
I really wanted to do this, myself, but didn't because I have a dog that would end up being locked in the van all day. Also my girlfriend wasn't up to the idea of hanging out in my van, for some reason...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

haven

Expedition Leader
There are two van campers who visit my neighborhood often enough that I recognize their vehicles. Each driver has their reasons for nomadic life. One drives a 1990s "sin bin" conversion of a Ford Econoline. An older single woman and small dog drive this one. The second is a newer windowless E-Series Ford van with twin solar panels on the roof. Driver's a tech worker who doesn't want to pay for housing. Neither stay in the vans during the day. The vans appear for a day or two, then move on.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Trespassing?? On who's property? Has anyone suggested pulling into someone's lawn?

In the US most parking lots are signed "no trespassing, parking only for ___ & for ____ time period" or you will be towed, police will be notified etc etc.

in Massachussettes towns & cities have it posted at town & city limits "no overnight parking". Makes it difficult I would imagine for Boondockers in those city limits. I haven't noticed similar city/town signage out here in Oregon. Perhaps it depends more on population density.

Anyways my point is laws vary within the U.S., so I'd imagine globally the same with some countries being more relaxed & others more difficult to caravan. I've camped (while pedal biking mind) both with & without permission on private land in the US and Overseas (more overseas). I've fealt much more comfortable doing so overseas, than in the US. Also mind that my last trip was almost a decade ago, so laws & tolerances change.

haaank

You could add a wrap to the van including covering the camper windows (they make a kind of wrap that covers windows but can still be seen through (kind of a perforated look)). The wrap could be "Sagan's Pet Grooming" with fake company name, logo, maybe even contact number... on the front fender you could put a code like "SPG008" (translates to Sagans Pet Grooming van #008) so it looks like a fleet van number.... Given the camper roof, etc. using pet grooming might make sense for how the vehicle could be used in a commercial context... be creative... I see plumbers, landscapers, dry wall, delivery vans, food trucks, food delivery vans on the street all the time and never take a second look. Seeing that on the street no one may notice.

I heard wraps are between $1K and $3k depending on complexity and quality of installation.

OR make a little dough advertising for a local company by having their logo /ad on your van

Stock '94 fzj80 Land Cruiser

"Theres a reason successful terrorist groups in Land Rovers are never seen on CNN"

haaank

I stealthed on the peninsula in the Bay Area and found industrial areas to be the easiest to park in. Think auto shops etc. places where different cars aren't abnormal. Also places where people work 'round the clock. After a while you can easily spot stealthers see where campers stay. I was surprised by how many people did it, but then again when a basic 3/2 that isn't much more than a mobile home goes for $1M, it makes all the sense in the world.

"Theres a reason successful terrorist groups in Land Rovers are never seen on CNN"

haaank

Also— I camped in a four runner on 35's and a 6" lift. Minivans and full on RVs were the most plentiful ( or maybe just obvious) but that didn't seem to stop a soul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94