"It's Good to See the Big Tent Out Again..." A Wyoming Ramble

mph

Expedition Leader
With seven days to play...what to do? Idaho was on the list. But as I looked at my Benchmark Map of Wyoming a few things caught my eye. So, the family and I motored to wilds of Wyoming.

We stopped along the Green River to throw a few flies in...Louise and Lilly eyeing the water. Not much was biting so we headed northeast.

wyoming3.jpg

Along the highway, we began to spot numerous Oregon Trail/Mormon Trail/Pony Express markers. Sure enough...we were in the same area overlanders so many years ago traveled through on their way West. There was more to explore but we need to find a campsite for the night. This will do! As I opened the rooftop tent, Lilly looked up and said, "ahhh...it's good to see the big tent out again!" Louise and I held back our giggles.

wyoming1.jpg

The prairies of Wyoming are spectacular. On this night, they did not disappoint!

wyoming5.jpg

The sun signing off for the day...

wyoming6.jpg

It was time to head back to camp and start a fire. The evening chill was upon us.

wyoming4.jpg

Trying my best to start the fire.

wyoming7.jpg

Louise enjoying her surroundings. The sunset was magical.

wyoming2.jpg

We spotted a golden eagle eyeing the trout swimming below us. We spotted antelope galloping through the grasses. It was a grand evening!

The following day dawned and we were off...Farson was our first stop. Lilly enjoyed ice cream at 10:30 in the morning. Gotta love vacation!

wyoming8.jpg

Our history lesson was about to begin. We followed the two-track that is the Oregon Trail. It's a National Historic Trail. This two-track cuts across the prairie with cement guide posts and informational kiosk out in the middle of nowhere. It was awesome. The trail also served as the Pony Express Trail for a few years. The invention of the telegraph quickly put an end to boys/men delivering mail by horse.

A Pony Express Station...A National Treasure slowly succumbing to the elements.

wyoming9.jpg

The stables that housed the horses...Ready for the next day's jaunt. If these walls could talk! I would listen...

wyoming10.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Out and about again! Looks great! Wyoming is our "big trip" plan next year, this year is Colorado as I mentioned in your getting high thread.

mph

Expedition Leader
The following day we headed to South Pass City, Wyoming. The town used to be a gold mining town. Now, a generous group of people have bought the mine and town. You can pay a small fee to see the building and enjoy a walking tour. The homes and buildings have many of the original artifacts in them...We enjoyed it tremendously and had the town to ourselves.

wyoming11.jpg

Each building has plexiglass covering up the furniture and the contents. The protection was actually a nice touch.

wyoming13.jpg

Run Lilly, Run...

wyoming12.jpg

We scooted out of South Pass to find a place to camp for the night. BLM land was everywhere. Found a spot...

wyoming14.jpg

In the morning we explored out surroundings. Views were everywhere. Lilly and Louise talking about Trump entering the Presidential Election. They talked and talked and talked...

wyoming15.jpg

wyoming16.jpg

And talked...

wyoming17.jpg

Packed up and ready we headed out to explore some other mining towns in the area. Atlanta City was up first. The old mercentile was neat to see. Warning. The owner (worker) was not very welcoming or nice to us, tourists. Hard to believe...I have a feeling that these businesses survive because of tourists. She was not wanting our business so we left.

Wyoming18.jpg

Stopped at Miner's Delight. Neat, old structures. The BLM has only stabilized these buildings.

wyoming19.jpg

wyoming20.jpg

More to come...

chet6.7

Explorer
That was a fine sunset,the pony express buildings were interesting too.

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
The day's adventure was all about mining. The Carissa Mine was the gold mine that drew the miners to South Pass City. Today, you can take a tour of the mine and see how things worked. They actually turn on the milling equipment. The tour was informative and enjoyable!

wyoming26.jpg

wyoming23.jpg

wyoming24.jpg

Amazing to see things left in place like the miners just walked away...

wyoming25.jpg

The tour was well worth it...we left South Pass and headed out into the backcountry.

wyoming27.jpg

Along the route, we found some old miner's cabins. Lilly enjoying the treasures she found!

wyoming22.jpg

We enjoyed each others company...

wyoming21.jpg

Found another Pony Express Station. It was nice to see the natural springs in the area protected.

wyoming29.jpg

Our travels took us down two tracks...we stopped at every bridge; checking for trout. Louise trying to find some...

wyoming28.jpg

Finally, we stopped along the grassy banks of the Sweetwater River. It was a magical site. One of the best campsites we have had in a while...

wyoming30.jpg

More to come...

mph

Expedition Leader
The Sweetwater River was an outstanding place to spend some time. The camping superb and the fishing not bad...We wandered the river and threw the fly in now and then to see what would happen. No luck. However, it wasn't a bummer at all. We felt lucky to experience such a place.

wyoming31.jpg

Louise and Lilly trying to catch one...

wyoming32.jpg

Louise and Lilly were tired...So, what to do? Chess anyone?

wyoming33.jpg

After a few trout were caught and released, we rallied onward...

wyoming34.jpg

Our exit led us back to the Oregon Trail once again.

wyoming35.jpg

The cement markers marked the trail. The trail was "Oregon, Mormon, and Pony Express" I wondered if there was ever "rush hour" out on the trail?

wyoming36.jpg

The wide open spaces were everywhere...

wyoming39.jpg

The views were glorious and enormous. We passed this marker MORMON PIONEER and shortly thereafter, we came across this group. Louise and I both looked at each other in amazement. There were roughly 100 plus people walking the trail dressed in mid 1800s attire.

wyoming37.jpg

wyoming38.jpg

Many of the Mormons used handcarts to make their way West. We came across this large group reenacting the journey. They weren't to friendly so we quickly motored on...

wyoming40.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
Our route took us through the rolling mountainsides of Wyoming. Eventually, it spit us out in Lander. Lander was hot! 91 degrees hot, so we quickly fueled and got out of there.

We headed up into the mountains too find coolness...Found it!

wyoming41.jpg

Lilly and Ginger enjoying the morning!

wyoming42.jpg

Camp was packed and we were off to see a SINK. Sink's Canyon that is...

wyoming43.jpg

Sink's Canyon is pretty wild. The river in the canyon comes down from the lakes and snow up in the Wind River Mountains. It winds through the canyon but the disappears into the Limestone Rock to reemerge about 1/2 down canyon. It bubbles back up.

wyoming44.jpg

Where it reemerges, the trout appeared to be quite large.

wyoming45.jpg

After some more fly fishing, we had to find a place to camp. The views, the meadows, the golden hour of sun...It was nice!

wyoming47.jpg

The following day, we were all about finding some relics on the Oregon Trail. It was just lovely out!

wyoming48.jpg

wyoming49.jpg

At times, we did feel like we were stepping back in time. What a life...True pioneers.

wyoming51.jpg

Packed and ready to go...Wyoming is a place to wander and discover. We'll be back. But for now, Utah here we come. Homeward bound.

wyoming52.jpg

Until next time...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94