Dual Batter Monitors

traveldud

Observer
Any recommendations? I'd like to have something in the cab to monitor my dual battery set up. The neatest one (elite battery monitor) I found shows the voltage and amp draw, however a bit expensive and located down under.

I don't know if AGM vs Lead Acid would make a tremendous difference, but may. Thanks in advance!

AndrewP

Explorer
I'll be the heretic here and say just install dual cheap volt meters, or a single meter fed by a DPDT switch. In low power systems like you would install in a truck, serious monitoring is not needed. A simple voltmeter will give a close enough approximation of state of charge and that will be more than sufficient.

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T2E09YW/ref=twister_B00T2E09ZG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Mounted inside works great for $11.

Or if you want to really go cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/niceeshop-4-5..._sim_23_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1GZRRGCT5MT4HGSBNDH2

You can spend a lot more, but it really isn't needed. I have dual voltmeters controlled by a center off toggle. I can see the volatages at a glance, but keep it turned off the rest of the time.

B

BPD53

Victron Energy. They make a version to monitor two batteries. Excellent customer service too.

traveldud

Observer
AndrewP, I actually considered exactly the former items of what you've decided to do with the center off toggle switch. And still may as it will essentially give me what I need at an inexpensive cost point.

The other suggestions above are very interesting as well, however expensive. I would ideally like to know how much real drain I have on extended stays and then it would aid in some other projects (solar in particular) I'd like to try.

So I really appreciate everyone's input as each has it's merits and priced accordingly. I hope I get continued input from you guys and others as well.

Benc

Explorer
I have the national Luna and have been having issues with it in the heat. They have replaced it under warranty but still having problems, tested batteries and replaced alternator but still not working right,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paranoid56

Adventurer
i use this. small and tells me all i need.
fBa_S4wdaI21CY0L6y3xbCuei12SFRtrgPTXbXO8KQY=w582-h775-no

AndrewP

Explorer
i use this. small and tells me all i need.
fBa_S4wdaI21CY0L6y3xbCuei12SFRtrgPTXbXO8KQY=w582-h775-no

While that looks nice, it lacks precision, and unfortunately, there is a huge difference between 12.6 and 12.3. Basically a full battery rests at 12.8, and is half empty at 12.2. So select your measurement device with that in mind.

Heck, you can monitor things as much as you like with your DVM. It just takes getting it out and taking a few measurements.

dstock

Explorer
I have the national Luna and have been having issues with it in the heat. They have replaced it under warranty but still having problems, tested batteries and replaced alternator but still not working right,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What type of vehicle?

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
Thanks for the tips on the cheap monitors. My ARB Fridge/Freezer has an automatic cut off switch that shuts it down if the house battery gets too low. However, I would rather know before it happens.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I agree with AndrewP - cheapo digital works fine (and it's what I use myself). If you want to count amp*hours, you'll need a couple of shunts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior