Expo Trailer or RTT? Advice requested

fast_suv

Adventurer
Good morning,
I am struggling with the idea of getting rid of my trailer and doing a RTT and mild set up in my JKU.... looking for some advice

I currently have a Mild expedition trailer; It is a Rough Out products trailer (limited run of these) that I pull with my '13 JKU. Link to trailer and info:
(http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/129260-Rough-out-products-Expedition-pop-up)
attachment.php

eac6b94a5e00e907aee97d00a4aebe6e.jpg

I got it about a year ago and taken it out a few times on 1 and 2 day trips.
Works well, pulls pretty easy. The galley and storage are nice. I like the idea of being able to set up camp, drop the trailer and still be able to go out in the jeep. It is also easy to pack up and have ready to roll a few days before a trip.
My JKU is my daily driver as well.

But...

I just got a Gobi rack and and toying with the idea of a roof top tent with annex and an awning w/screen.
While off road i think the RTT would be easier than a trailer in tough spots (not that I have or plan to run into that) and that the fuel mileage may be better with an RTT than a trailer (any insight?)
When I go comping it is normally just 2 adults and a 7 year old or 1 adult and 1 7 year old.

Anyone that has had both set ups that could give me ups and downs of each that would be awesome. I'm hoping maybe this could help others when trying to decide too.

Also not sure what I should price my trailer at if I sell it.. It being the only one i have seen i'm not sure how much to ask... ideas?

dstock

Explorer
I have both, a trailer with RTT and a Gobi rack that has also carried the RTT before I got the trailer. I have a 7ft parking garage at work, so I would have to take the RTT off between trips. Even with the Gobi accessory bars (which are a must in my opinion for a RTT) its a pain in the butt. Gas mileage with the Gobi Stealth dropped by at least 1.5 mpg on the highway, a little more with the RTT up there.

While it can be more difficult towing the trailer, I really like that it's all set up ready to go at a moment's notice, and we can get home late the night before work and just unload our food and clothes and we are ready to go for the next day. I have not put the Gobi back on since getting the trailer. The only reason I haven't sold the Gobi yet is we've been thinking about a Baja trip and I'm not sure I want to tow a trailer down there.

The base camp feature of the trailer is great, especially when using the annex as you don't have to tear it down just to do some exploring for the day.

If it were me, I would keep your trailer, you've got a unique product there and with a kid (and their friends) you are probably in the best shape with what you have.

fireball

Explorer
It all depends upon the type of camping you like to do. We are facing a similar conversation in my house, a 100 series LC, my wife, our two older kids, a large dog and a baby on the way. Up until now we have a large ground tent and the LC can barely fit all of us. With the baby and all his/her associated gear we will need a trailer of some sort. Trailer is a great base camp but can be pretty limiting in the types of trails you do and trips you go on. For example, this summer we did the VO Beer Safari and the NH Expedition, both point to point events where the LC easily navigated the terrain, but would've been pretty hairy dragging a decent sized trailer through.

What is the setup and teardown time of your current trailer? That is the biggest issue for us....a big tent, 4 sleeping pads, 4 bags, move all the gear around....setup in 45' or so, pack up in just under an hour gets old when you're on the move all the time. Last year we did a 17 day cross country adventure across about 12 different campsites and 3 hotels and I was pretty tired at the end of the trip of the setup and tear down routine!

All that said, if I were you I would likely consider either keeping the trailer, or getting a hardshell RTT with the idea of having 2 of you in the tent and 1 sleeping in the jeep. That would make setup and teardown super quick and easy, be great for all the trips where there is only 2 of you, and not limit the types of trails you go down.

fireball

Explorer
P.S. I really like the slide out kitchen of your trailer! I am surprised more pop-ups don't have that feature. Are people really going out camping and want to cook inside their trailer? A slide out kitchen with an awning over the same side would be a great setup.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've hadit both ways and I no longer suffer with the RTT on the jeep--

That deletes the use of the jeep each day you're off-road/camping--

I transferred the RTT to the trailer and that's the best way to go, I can set up camp,detach the trailer and explore all day with the jeep-

I don't really know what to do about a "popup" trailer, it would seem to be better camping arrangement than an RTT, because the RTT is good for ----SLEEPING-and that's it !

Whatever-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

fireball

Explorer
Our trails out here in the east are very tight. Lots of rocks and trees. Not like the wide open spaces in the western US and what you might have in Australia. So it's a bit different ballgame here with some different considerations.

Depending on the type of wheeling and trails you want to do, a hard shell RTT mounted on the roof rack is a much smaller consideration than dragging a big trailer around...

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Wide open spaces !

The Sierras (West)
002-1.jpg

Sawmilllakecamp119.jpg

Sawmilllakecamp122.jpg

maiden%20tepui%20tent%20use%20031_zpstafohhkw.jpg

Evidently the east/West coast schools are different !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I've had my RTT for almost as long as I've had my truck, so about 7 years. I love the RTT, but it can be inconvenient. Being single it wasn't bad, even in off-road events where I had to set it up every night and take it down every morning it was slightly annoying, but not too bad. When camping with friends we'd jump in to their car to go into down or the beach, but having the girlfriend, the truck needed to be more mobile, so that's when I decided to finally start my trailer project and put the RTT on it..but it's not the RTT that was the problem, but the vehicle being tied down with the RTT deployed. Especially with you having kids, I could see that being more of an issue. Ya the first time I used my trailer (new this year) the truck didn't move, but the second time, it was just us; we went to the beach a few times, went into town, it was nice.

It's definitely nicer, easier to setup and more convenient (plus extra storage), but the X doesn't care if it's empty or loaded with the RTT, the mileage tends to stay about the same, however with the trailer I do take a significant hit in mileage.

PulABvH.jpg

pi556CZ.jpg

fast_suv

Adventurer
Great input all.

I'm thinking of hanging on to the trailer for now. I think with a kid and the ease of use even in a camping park it may be the better option for right now.
I do have a few nice tents for the times i dont want to pull the trailer I suppose and i'm picking up an ARB awning with screen room tonight so that may fulfill my urge for an RTT for now..
I have a little m100 trailer at my house that i had thougt about restoring and tossing an RTT on as well but i have a drive way full of JK parts i need to do first...

But feel free to keep the input coming, I think quite a few people may have this question when they start out.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I think the trailer is the way to go. We do it with our 1640 Rockwood pop up. Makes it easy and relaxing. However, if you ever get an itch to sell your camper... shoot me a PM :drool: Nice rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles