First post, need advice on possible Montero purchase

mscuiletti

Observer
Hello everyone, I've been a lurker, creepily stalking all of your posts and learning as much as possible while hiding because I drive a little zippy car that has much less off-road potential than its rally counterpart. Anyways, as much fun as the Fiesta ST is to drive around town, I want to get out of my car payment. I screwed up in college and my credit took a beating, and many years later, I've finally paid off my debts. I was able to get my first new car a year and a few months ago, but my payment is quite high. I also want to get back into camping, as I am tired of working during the week and simply being around home on the weekends. I NEED adventure, and NEED to get away from computers and technology. My Fiesta is not my first choice vehicle for this. I don't plan on any hardcore offroading, but want to be able to get to remote campsites, that are not in an rv park. I also drive on the highway to Illinois from Detroit often for work, and with the stiff suspension on the car, is far less than comfortable. I have read many many forums, looking for an inexpensive 4x4 that could be reliable. I plan on doing much of the mechanical work myself in my garage, once i make space. However, I am concerned of being burned again, as the reason i got the Fiesta is that my Volvo XC90 was misdiagnosed at the dealer and long-story-short, my warranty would no longer cover a replacement transmission, which led to a 7k replacement estimate, almost as much as i paid for the car. It only had 116k miles, which to me, is nearly new. So, I ask all of you knowledgable folks here, if this car is worth it? Its a 2002 Mitsu Montero limited with 148k miles, comes with a 2 year warranty for 3950. It's very clean under the car, which surprised me as we typically see lots of rust on an older car like this by now.

http://www.tradewindsauto.com/2002_Mitsubishi_Montero_Parma_OH_255763174.veh

Does this car have too many miles? I would love to do some servicing on it and hopefully drive it many many more, but I also don't want a failing transmission after a few thousand miles. I heard the Montero (Pajero) is very good and under the radar of most, but wanted to get some opinions before I pull the trigger. I would hope to keep it for many years, working on it as I go, and that this could be a vehicle that could get me out of the cubicle and into nature, and fulfilling the missing adventure which I need to keep working at my monotonous job every day. Thanks to anyone whom can offer insight or suggestions, and thanks to everyone for the warm and adventurous community here!

Cheers,
Marc

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
It sounds like you need a new job, not a new car!

That said, all my research pointed me to the Montero for creature comforts, capability, reliability, and economy. Not many full size SUVs will get you 20mpg+ on the highway for under 4k.

I'd look at service history and be sure you can have it inspected before purchasing.

mscuiletti

Observer
It sounds like you need a new job, not a new car!

That said, all my research pointed me to the Montero for creature comforts, capability, reliability, and economy. Not many full size SUVs will get you 20mpg+ on the highway for under 4k.

I'd look at service history and be sure you can have it inspected before purchasing.

Haha, I'm truly trying, but I suppose I am that strange guy that ended up in IT that doesn't care to be in front of a computer all day. Hence the need for me getting out. Appreciate your reply. So as long as the maintenance history is there and the needed servicing has been done, you don't think there are too many miles?

Porvalsh

Observer
I bought an 03 Anniversary Edition with fewer miles than this and some mods but paid twice as much. Its been really good the past 6 months, no issues. I couldn't get service records though...and so I wasn't able to know history as much as I would have liked. I loved how the rig drove and looked so I just bought it.

Since then I did timing belt/water pump, coolant flush, Oil changes, spark plugs. The coolant was pretty bad looking. The timing belt looked like it was done at some point, maybe 60k. I also replaced valve cover seals. The parts were all only about $250. I did this all just as precautionary. I still plan on doing a few things like transmission coolant flush, perhaps external tranny cooler, and maybe wires.

Truck runs great though. I really like it...can fit my family. Its unique. It really grips the road and has very good visibility. Good brakes as well (coming from full size pickup). I can cruise at 70-75 without any issues, comfortable for 4hr trips. You can get around 20 mpg with freeway driving (mine has the 3.8L, you may get more).

I would drive it, see if it has enough power for you. From what I've read this is a common complaint. Aside from that, check to see if there are service records. After that, take it to a reputable mechanic to get it inspected. After all this if you decide to buy it I would set aside some money to do baseline maintenance (unless you get full service records which is unlikely). If you do it yourself this could be less than 300 bucks in parts unless you break something then you'll have wasted at most 4k :). If you get it done though it will likely be over 1 grand.

I think buying a 13 year old car with 150k on it and expecting it to have many issue free miles ahead is naive. However, if you plan to do maintenance, especially a bit more up front, then its possible you can take the rig to +200k with no major problems.
Monty.jpg

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
Porvalsh pretty much nailed it. I purchased mine with ~143k miles for 4k (private party) knowing it had some issues, and I've put another 1k+ in it for maintenance alone, but I'm pretty particular about the condition of my vehicles. I say go take a look, and remember that dealers are negotiable and that you can bend them over backwards to get the deal in your favor. They want to move cars more than you want to buy one, so use that to your advantage.

EDIT: Also, just busting your chops about the job. I changed from engineering to biology so I could work outside doing what I love and not be in front of a computer all day. A few years later and I'm still sitting in from of a computer with no windows in sight.

Last edited:

mscuiletti

Observer
I think buying a 13 year old car with 150k on it and expecting it to have many issue free miles ahead is naive. However, if you plan to do maintenance, especially a bit more up front, then its possible you can take the rig to +200k with no major problems.

I guess I wasn't clear. I am not expecting trouble free miles. I guess what I meant to ask is if these cars are prone to catastrophic failures of any kind. The Volvo XC90 which I had, led to a class-action lawsuit for transmission failures as soon as 20k miles, on a $40-50k car. I expect to replace belts, liquids, pumps, relays, etc... but prefer knowing that the transmission, transfer-case, differentials, and engine, if maintained properly, can get to 200k+ of if this is a pipe dream. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Porvalsh

Observer
From what I know, there are no known catastrophic issues or those that would call for class action lawsuits. The Pajero is a proven vehicle in the world, considered one of the top 3 expedition vehicles.

However, there are still some big issues that can happen such as timing belt failure (due to poor maintenance periods) which will result in bent valves, possibly putting valve through cylinder head, causing catastrophic failure. This is common to all interference engines though.

Also from what I've read, the engines are not known for being particularly "tight". They will likely develop small oil leaks. This isn't a huge issue to me, or something that would lead to a huge failure.

Aging valve stem seals can lead to burning a bit of oil too which seems to be a common issue here. The vehicle might blow a bit of smoke on startup or after long idle.

Others may have more experience, knowledge.

Regardless though, going 150k without changing oil or coolant for instance is a lot different than the guy that changed it every 3-5k. This is why maintenance records are key. If you can't see any records then a good inspection might give you clues to help you make your decision.

But for 4k, your risk is low. Even if you had a huge issue you might be able to get rid of it or part it out for at least 2k. To me this is pretty low risk compared to losing $40k on a Volvo.

BTW I'm still stuck in engineering as well. It pays the bills. :)

I'm not trying to scare you away from a Montero, they are great vehicles. Have you looked into something like a Honda Element though? They are comfortable, very reliable, good fuel mileage, large cargo area, the EX has realtime 4wd, will work fine in snow and basic backroads since you're not planning on doing any serious off-roading.

mscuiletti

Observer
I'm not trying to scare you away from a Montero, they are great vehicles. Have you looked into something like a Honda Element though? They are comfortable, very reliable, good fuel mileage, large cargo area, the EX has realtime 4wd, will work fine in snow and basic backroads since you're not planning on doing any serious off-roading.

I did originally think of something more like that or a subaru, heck, i could even make the fiesta capable of some light trail use as they do run that car in rally/rallycross, but i really love the look of the Pajero and love the thought of being able to get deeper into the woods if I want to, sometime down the road. I also did not mention that the car comes with a two year warranty. I'm unsure if it's any good, as I didn't discuss it much yet, but I suppose that would help reduce my worries.

Fair enough, I was sort of in the same situation when I was looking for an offroad vehicle. I have a newer BMW 550i m-sport and almost bought a 2008 4runner as a 2nd vehicle, but realized I'd rather have something that I didn't mind scratching, denting, so I bought an older 97 Montero. You should consider that when looking at vehicles, imagine going to drive a trail and there are branches hanging in the road on both sides, are you going to want to scrape a shiny black montero down the middle of it or get it stuck in muddy ruts? With that said, the montero you linked to is very nice and I don't think the miles are too high, but I would read between the lines on that warranty.

Also, is the vehicle on consignment at that dealership? Here's the exact same truck on craigslist, says it's for sale by owner with some different pics. I see some rusty bolts/bits in the engine bay, so I would definitely check the underbody for rust. It has newer NGK wires, so I would assume they changed the spark plugs also, which is good, cause it's sort of a pain.
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5142714382.html

mscuiletti

Observer
Fair enough, I was sort of in the same situation when I was looking for an offroad vehicle. I have a newer BMW 550i m-sport and almost bought a 2008 4runner as a 2nd vehicle, but realized I'd rather have something that I didn't mind scratching, denting, so I bought an older 97 Montero. You should consider that when looking at vehicles, imagine going to drive a trail and there are branches hanging in the road on both sides, are you going to want to scrape a shiny black montero down the middle of it or get it stuck in muddy ruts? With that said, the montero you linked to is very nice and I don't think the miles are too high, but I would read between the lines on that warranty.

Also, is the vehicle on consignment at that dealership? Here's the exact same truck on craigslist, says it's for sale by owner with some different pics. I see some rusty bolts/bits in the engine bay, so I would definitely check the underbody for rust. It has newer NGK wires, so I would assume they changed the spark plugs also, which is good, cause it's sort of a pain.
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5142714382.html

Nice find, and I had no idea. I'll be sure to inspect both the car and warranty documentation very thoroughly, but at 4k, I don't mind scratches, they tell stories. Thanks for the time, and I suppose I have some serious contemplating to do tonight. It could look so nice and even fit my hockey bag without needing me to fold seats. Wouldn't that be nice!

mscuiletti

Observer
I do love that Monetero, but found a very low mileage Lexus GX470 today very close to me. I have an appointment to drive it today and have been pre-approved as well. I may end up with that instead. Thanks to everyone for the replies, and either way, I'll let you all know whichever I decide. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior