Grouper's 07 FJC Build

Richietherocket

Adventurer
Grouper, love your build. I have an 8 and 4 YO so I understand the pain of travelling and looking at a larger platform. We pretty much look like the Clampets rolling down the road with kayaks, wolf pack boxes, gas and Treds on the roof and the back full of stuff.

Do you have some other pics of how you attached the net to the roof? It looks like it attaches to the Springtail rack in back but where did you attach up front? I have a net but haven't had time to install it.

Thanks

Grouper

Observer
Grouper, love your build. I have an 8 and 4 YO so I understand the pain of travelling and looking at a larger platform. We pretty much look like the Clampets rolling down the road with kayaks, wolf pack boxes, gas and Treds on the roof and the back full of stuff.

Do you have some other pics of how you attached the net to the roof? It looks like it attaches to the Springtail rack in back but where did you attach up front? I have a net but haven't had time to install it.

Thanks

Thanks, and yeah the roof rack really earns its worth with all of the gear loaded on top.

The net is kind of a wild card, I'm not sure where it came from. I share a shop space with a friend and it was piled in with all of the other stuff that has no definable origin. The net has three sets of attachment hooks per side and two sets are used on the Springtail barrier in back. The front set is attached to the grab handles above the rear door(paracord handles). I also snipped out a section in the center of the net so I could pull the dome light and fit the net underneath it. The light just snaps right back in to the headliner and it helps keep things a little more secure up top. I used it for the first time when we traveled to Moab/Ouray this summer. It did a good job of storing rain gear, jackets, paper towels, and snacks during the trip. I will try to get some pics over the weekend for you.

Last edited:

Grouper

Observer
Thanks! I appreciate the compliment. My field repair kit is an ever evolving thing. Right now I carry a replacement part for everything I have already broken on the trail in the past(minus the transfer case) plus the tools needed to replace them.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Love your truck, great inspiration to get my camping/overland setup more organized! You fit a lot in there!

Grouper

Observer
Thanks and good luck with your set up. As you know the FJC requires some creative space management if you plan to keep the back seat and travel with a lot of gear.

Here are a few shots of the field repair kit I'm working with.(I have added a few other items since this pic was taken and swapped to Carhartt tool rolls)

View attachment 296920View attachment 296921

I was able to transfer everything from my tool boxes in to a custom drawer storage box.

View attachment 296922View attachment 296923

I used an RV hose carrier to store my extra CV and it fits nicely between the rear seat and the storage drawer.

View attachment 296924View attachment 296925

I also put together a field manual with all pertinent info relating to the truck and "how to'" instructions on replacing commonly broken parts.

View attachment 296926

• 1/2" Impact gun
  • 1/2" Torque Wrench
  • 1/2" Torque Driver
  • 1/2" Metric Impact set
  • Metric socket set w/ driver
  • Large Crescent Wrench
  • Dead Blow Hammer
  • Large Flat Head Screwdriver
  • Pry Bar
  • 35mm Socket
  • CV Puller
  • Impact Gloves
  • Rubber Gloves
  • Safety Glasses
  • Funnel
  • CV Axle
  • Inner & Outer Tie Rod
  • Greasable U-joints (2)
  • Serpentine Belt
  • Lug Nuts
  • Left & Right front Axle Seals
  • Left & Right Rear Axle Seals
  • CV Axle Grease
  • Gear Oil - T-case & Diff
  • Motor Oil
  • Brake Cleaner
  • WD-40
  • Brake Fluid
  • Loctite
  • JB Weld
  • Hand Cleaner
  • Duct Tape
  • 12 Gauge wire
  • Electrical Tape
  • Rags
  • Tool kit
  • Tape Measure
  • 5 lb Moll
  • Full Socket Kit
  • Zip Ties
  • Misc. Wire Connectors & Fuses
  • Spray Lithium Grease

Just one question. How do you do it? You pack so nicely it's a shame to hide it all...!

If I actually hit the trails more than a few times a year anymore it would be nice to get a system down. I hate seeing those guys on the trail with stuff hanging out of all corners of their rigs (I am not one of those guys), but finding the time to pack like this is impossible.

Grouper

Observer
Just one question. How do you do it? You pack so nicely it's a shame to hide it all...!

If I actually hit the trails more than a few times a year anymore it would be nice to get a system down. I hate seeing those guys on the trail with stuff hanging out of all corners of their rigs (I am not one of those guys), but finding the time to pack like this is impossible.

Long winded reply in 3..2.... I learned the limits of this truck the hard way and early on broke four or five CV axles, two U-joints, mangled a front drive shaft, bent the PS spindle, and cracked the housing of my transfer case. With each breakage I added the replacement part and the tools needed to replace it(minus the transfer case and spindles). My early method of packing was to cram things in to any available space I could find in the truck(I used to be a bellman at a hotel). The problem was when it came time to locate what I needed I would have to tear the whole truck apart to find it. It took me awhile to figure out what should be grouped together and where it needed to be in order to access it easily. I think I finally have a decent system that allows me to get to whatever I need without removing everything from the truck. I leave everything in the truck all of the time so there is no need for me to pack/unpack it after/before every trip(unless replacing used items). The only thing that gets loaded on a trip by trip basis is the camping gear, my bag, and food. I try to keep the camping gear all packed up and ready to go. I have spent more time than I care to admit finding the right spot for everything so I can just load it in, strap it down and head out. If I had a bigger rig than maybe I wouldn't be so obsessive about it but it is what it is and I try my best to make it work.

Grouper

Observer
What are you using for a CV puller? A length of cable with loops at each end and a sledge?

It's actually synthetic winch line, but yes. The guys at Southeast Overland started selling them a few years back and after having to piece together some metal cable from a country store in the middle of no where Alabama I decide to purchase something to keep in the tool box.

Long winded reply in 3..2.... I learned the limits of this truck the hard way and early on broke four or five CV axles, two U-joints, mangled a front drive shaft, bent the PS spindle, and cracked the housing of my transfer case. With each breakage I added the replacement part and the tools needed to replace it(minus the transfer case and spindles). My early method of packing was to cram things in to any available space I could find in the truck(I used to be a bellman at a hotel). The problem was when it came time to locate what I needed I would have to tear the whole truck apart to find it. It took me awhile to figure out what should be grouped together and where it needed to be in order to access it easily. I think I finally have a decent system that allows me to get to whatever I need without removing everything from the truck. I leave everything in the truck all of the time so there is no need for me to pack/unpack it after/before every trip(unless replacing used items). The only thing that gets loaded on a trip by trip basis is the camping gear, my bag, and food. I try to keep the camping gear all packed up and ready to go. I have spent more time than I care to admit finding the right spot for everything so I can just load it in, strap it down and head out. If I had a bigger rig than maybe I wouldn't be so obsessive about it but it is what it is and I try my best to make it work.

Keeping it packed all the time does make it easier. I do have four totes that I keep ready to go (and replenished as you stated) but I haven't found room to keep them permanently stowed.

Keep in mind, all this comes from years of wheeling a 88" Rover. Now that I have a larger truck to play with, things are gonna change, I can feel it.

Grouper

Observer
I stumbled across this pic yesterday on FB. Sierra Expeditions was using it on their FB page and I think it was taken by Seth from Adventure Driven. The driver of the FJC got a little too far off the trail and started to slide down. Everytime he tried to correct he slipped a little further off the side. We attached a strap and gave him a quick pull to get him back on to the trail.

Stuck.JPG

Grouper

Observer
Thanks. It's kind of cool when you find something like this out of the blue and completely unexpected.

Grouper

Observer
My winch is shot. I'm considering a Warn VR10000-s Winch as a replacement. Anyone have expreience with the VR series and is it worth the extra money over similarly outfitted competitors? I know Warn is the brand to beat but I have also considered the Superwinch 9.5s Tigershark and also the Comeup DV 12s-light. Out of the three the Warn holds the highest price tag, so is the VR series as reliable as the higher end Warns? I would like to keep my budget under 1k and I need something with a remote mountable control box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94