Unobtanium: Snoopy the Troopy

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
This is the start of a series of posts I plan to write about cool adventure rigs that we can't legally own/register here in the US. The first rig I want to highlight is Matt Scott's 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy, named "Snoopy." It is an ex-ambulance naturally aspirated diesel with a 5 speed manual transmission. I got to see first hand the transformation from basic ambulance to overland machine, and even got to go explore with it in some amazing locations around Australia. Check out the full article for tons of photos of this incredible rig, which I know many of us here in America would LOVE to own.

http://www.exploringelements.com/unobtanium-snoopy-the-troopy/

EEUnobtaniumTroopy1.jpg

EEUnobtaniumTroopy6-2.jpg

EEUnobtaniumTroopy5-2.jpg

EEUnobtaniumTroopy7-5.jpg

evilfij

Explorer
You can buy and import a 1990 or older and in six months a 1991 version which would have the 1HZ engine and basically be the same as that truck.

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Very clean set up. I like seeing the roof top tent and rear drawer set up. That's exactly what I'm shooting for. And like the poster above said, I just imported an 89 (2H) diesel troopy.

eco 45

Supporting Sponsor
It is a great example of a Troopy. But the 1HZ was introduced mid year in Australia so you can basically import this same truck now. Have one on my lot now that just landed.

Last edited:

andrewh

/dev/4wd
Followed snoopy for a couple of months after i decided to bite the bullet to call Steve. Great build, ton of ideas and catchy name.

evilfij

Explorer
I did not realize 1HZ was mid-year

Of course finding a non-rusty, non-beat LHD with AC will probably take me quite a while.

eco 45

Supporting Sponsor
I did not realize 1HZ was mid-year

Of course finding a non-rusty, non-beat LHD with AC will probably take me quite a while.

Now a rust free LHD that is not beat up, 100% legal for import into the USA is more unobtainable. Might be a life long search or you will need pockets lined with gold.🍺

andrewh

/dev/4wd
A little patience and working with land cruisers direct, a RHD troopy is not unobtanium. Of course, still need to go through it to address issues, but they are old enough now to find in a little more numbers. I wanted a low mileage troopy which took about 5-6 months of looking to find.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/stiflers-hzj75rv-mild-build.861517/ 147k kms.

Edit:

Snoopy is an inspiration to all (esp me) and looking forward to her adventures!

Last edited:

evilfij

Explorer
Now a rust free LHD that is not beat up, 100% legal for import into the USA is more unobtainable. Might be a life long search or you will need pockets lined with gold.��

I have the gold. Someone needs to find me the cruiser. I know they are out there. If I have to wait a year or two so be it. Anyone knows of one, please let me know. Must be a 1HZ truck and must be LHD and rust free (or close to it, no rust buckets)

I have the gold. Someone needs to find me the cruiser. I know they are out there. If I have to wait a year or two so be it. Anyone knows of one, please let me know. Must be a 1HZ truck and must be LHD and rust free (or close to it, no rust buckets)

Likewise me. Although I would take even a BJ47; either Troopy or pickup. Must be low mileage, NO RUST! I like FF rear axles and extra 90L fuel tank.

Charlie

evilfij

Explorer
Charlie,

You can have the low miles, I am ok with high (even really high) miles (or kms as the case may be).

andrewh

/dev/4wd

So no gold lined pockets, but i did work with Steve over at LCD for about a year or so *just looking*. Not left hand drive, but they are just starting to get old enough to import. Patience on our part turned into this beautiful truck. This is almost the exact model that was my fathers Cruiser growing up in Zambia (his was an 88). It holds a special place in my heart. Your best bet for a LHD would be to work with Steve at Land Cruisers Direct.

1990 hzj75 rv troopy, 147k kms

IMG_20151103_102559.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne