Turbo Baja Expedition Rig

Sandragoon

Scoobytruck Adventurer
Well figured I would start my build thread 3 years after I bought the car. Now that I'm finally getting around to adding what I want to the car and going overlanding. Here it is from August 2012 when I first bought it, 57xxx miles and well taken care of from an older couple in Wyoming. I was 16 at the time and had always liked the quirky little subitrucks. Having grown up in a house with an outback and learning to drive in a Subaru I decided that was what I wanted. Looking around town we went to the local Subaru dealership, it was between a turbo monterey silver Baja, a black N/A Baja, and a silver '06 Outback. And thanks to my parents agreeing to take on a car loan for me as I was to young to do it alone, I got the turbo Baja that I wanted.

The nice thing about it being an '05 is that the ride height is taller than the earlier models. And as a turbo it came with all the options, heated seats, premium sound with built in tweeters, leather interior, hard tonneau cover, roof mounted Hella lights, and trailer hitch.
Before
564008_382364418497179_952506961_n.jpg

Last edited:

14subiexv

Observer
Looks good. My dad's really wanting one of these. I'm trying to find him a non turbo 5spd. There harder to find in good shape than I thought. Is yours a 5spd or auto? What are you going to add to it first?

Sandragoon

Scoobytruck Adventurer
Mine is an auto, and the first thing I did was add an aftermarket sound system and then proceeded to drive on a 3,500 mile road trip last summer.

Last edited:

Sandragoon

Scoobytruck Adventurer
This will be my expanding mod list of current and future plans
-Current mods-
-1" spacer lift kit from Gorilla offroad Co
-Mud flaps form Gorilla
-Reese explore Roof rack (saving up for The Mule a Baja Rack, I'll get the Hi-lift jack holder and axe/shovel brackets with it)
-Cobra CB radio mounted in dash
-Cb radio antenna mounted in tonneau cover
-JVC deck with 6.5" JL audio speakers in front and rear
-Kicker amp under drivers seat with dual 12" Kicker comp R subs (when I am not going adventuring)
-Happening in the next week, primitive racing engine skid plate and General Grabber AT2 215/70/16s
-Future mods-
-30" led light bar under roof rack
-4 Hella 6.5" round lights for my bull bar (I have 3 so far, also need the bull bar)
-Drifz 207B FX wheels for my current street tires
-Rear diff skid plate
-transmission skid plate
-Metal mudrat front bumper/bull bar
-Rock sliders/ sub-frame connectors
-Hella red supertone horns
-Front mounted winch
-Braided steel brake lines
-Overhaul of the suspension, all around Coilovers
-Limited slip diff, front and rear
-5EAT 5 speed auto tranny, to replace my awful 4 speed auto
-Low range gear box
-2" strut spacers
-Hi-lift jack with cover
-2 Red Maxtraxs
-Differential breathers
-A snorkel with custom piping and a cutoff for my inter-cooler
-Wheel spacers and longer studs (for bigger tires 235-255 AT2s some day)
IMG_0697.jpg

Last edited:

Sandragoon

Scoobytruck Adventurer
inch isnt a lift :p its a leveling factor

Update your first post then...

edit:

metal front bumper? picks of deisgn?

Editing as I go and think of what else I want.
And it does look better with the "leveling factor" than it did stock
Don't know 100% yet on bumper similar to these though
11828547_10200673561078522_6928162625353524000_n.jpg
the beast smaller pic.jpg

Dake21

Adventurer
If I was you I'd use a proper lift kit with stiffer springs and shocks if you want to add a metal bumper, skid plates and carry heavy loads. Your stock suspension will wear out quicker as it wasn't designed to work that much hard. Spacers (leveling kit or whatever you call it) also preload your springs. If you spend that much money on all those gear it will be only beneficial to get one. just my 2 cents. My grand grand father had one a decade ago and I didn't know what this was called until now and I like the concept. Keep us posted.

Edit: I just saw your pictures. Nice.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Hahahaha I knew it wouldn't take long to get you on here!

Welcome to the Portal man. Can't wait to get this thing out on the trails. It's a pretty good platform for mild to moderate overlanding.

Really excited for Independence Trail. Should be a good test for the ole Baja.

inch isnt a lift :p its a leveling factor

Update your first post then...

edit:

metal front bumper? picks of deisgn?

Dude... Trust me...

It's not a leveling kit. The 1" lift kit made a huge difference. Between the lift and his new tires, he's gaining quite a bit of extra clearance. Besides, keeping the lift pretty small will minimize the wear.

He'll be running some of the less extreme trails with me, and if we need to get it higher off the ground, we will.

We've talked about doing heavier springs on it in the future as well.

Last edited:

Sandragoon

Scoobytruck Adventurer
If I was you I'd use a proper lift kit with stiffer springs and shocks if you want to add a metal bumper, skid plates and carry heavy loads. Your stock suspension will wear out quicker as it wasn't designed to work that much hard. Spacers (leveling kit or whatever you call it) also preload your springs. If you spend that much money on all those gear it will be only beneficial to get one. just my 2 cents. My grand grand father had one a decade ago and I didn't know what this was called until now and I like the concept. Keep us posted.

Edit: I just saw your pictures. Nice.

Thanks, I plan on doing the suspension over right after winter. Spacer is just temporary until I can afford to do the whole works on it. Main problem is the lack of aftermarket Baja parts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94